X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Graft or own roots???

I’m trying to understand why someone would choose a graft versus own roots and the benefit to each. I’m planning to plant in slightly raised beds with improved soil. Please help out a newbie as I plan to get started within the next year.
    Wishlist- kadota, LSU purple, ronde de Bordeaux, VdB, Willing to pay!! PM me. Beaumont Texas zone 9

If you plant in ground and get freezing weather it’s advisable to propagate on their own roots IMO. If potted that are brought indoors over winter then it doesn’t matter. People graft as an easy means of propagation and to increase growth rate of slow growers by grafting on vigorous rootstock. Hope this helps 👍🏼
    CJ in Memphis 7b/8a….tight eyes, nonsplitters...Pons figs, French figs, Mario figs & tasty Cali seedlings!

Comment

I just started grafting last fall, but in my little experience I have found grafting to a vigorous root stock does seem to have some benefits. I grafted both celeste and yellow long neck to the same vigorous rootstock, and both of the grafts are ripening figs faster than the associated mother trees. This is obviously a small sample size and other factors could be causing the fruits to form and ripen more quickly, but I was very surprised when I had figs forming on grafts I made this spring, just as the rootstock started to break dormancy. Due to my inexperience, I thought grafts wouldn’t form figs until year two.

I will have cuttings of both celeste and i258 this coming winter. If they are still on your wish list by then, let me know and I will send you cuttings.

Comment

For someone with limited space for in-ground trees, grafting is a great option for growing several varieties. You can pick a breba crop, then a mid-season main, then wait for a late season main. This prolongs the picking season.
        One tree is easier to maintain than 3 or more trees! The vigorous, hardy Brown Turkey may not be a desireable fig tree, but when grafted onto it, it gains an enhanced level of respect.
        Oregon City, OR (Zone 8b) by Portland.

Comment

Root stocks such as as strawberry late and brown turkey offer strong root development and vigor to other fig trees that are not so lucky. It can be advantageous to use root stock
          Toronto, Canada USDA Zone 5. Wish List: Azores Dark, Malta Black, Sucrette, LSU Hollier and Violet Sepor. I'm always interested in trading cuttings if your in the Southern Ontario area. Thank You!

Comment

Working...
          X