X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 505-H Unknown Mule Figs

The mother tree is not a seedling. It is an unknown and is 100+ years old. Almost all of the figs look like the Dall’ Osso with doubles and even the ones that don’t fully form like that have a bump in their long stems. They form like this even with the new, vigorous growing trees from cuttings.

I’m curious if there are other varieties out there that exhibit this trait and if it’s genetic or otherwise.
    Attached Files
    Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

Mad Uggs 😛
    wnc Z7a Hominy Valley
    wish list: a world without Invasive Pests

Comment

• ieatfigs
      ieatfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      You mean Fugly

Whoa, whoa, whoa mule! Whoa, mule! Woah!
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCHHopi_E99OBvafBPEcF_pg
    Zone 8B - Cottage Grove, Or
    Wish List - Crema di Wheat

Comment

Raspberry Latte is known for putting out a significant portion of mule figs, for me seems to vary from 10% to 30% of total. In general the non-mule figs are of higher quality. The "mule" section with Raspberry Latte tends to be be closer to the rounded eye portion of the fig, where-as 505-h appears to typically start the double portion closer to the stem.

I get the impression that for 505-h the mule figs are still very high quality wrt taste. Is this true? Does there seem to be any difference in taste, texture, between a mule and non-mule fig with 505-h?
      Richard - San Diego 10a

Comment

• Evdurtschi
        Evdurtschi commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure about the flavor difference yet. This will be my first year ripening them from my new tree and I’ll make sure to pay attention to that.

• Fig Gazer
        Fig Gazer commented
        Editing a comment
        I have eatin quite a few and there damn good thru and thru ,on rare occasions the big end can have darker skin not like the famous bird picking painting but close ?

More like 505-mutant-H
      Dallas,TX - Zone 8a - Follow me @thefarmingtales on Insta.
      WL - Angelito, El Sueno Yellow, Yellow Absheron, Fico Giallo, Tia Penya, Campaniere, Moro de Caneva, Cessac, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

• DrDraconian
        DrDraconian commented
        Editing a comment
        The H stands for Hiroshima, 'nuff said.

• Fig Gazer
        Fig Gazer commented
        Editing a comment
        WELL I DID FIND THIS TREE WHILE FISHING FOR THREE EYED FISH IN THE POND THAT GLOWS AT NIGHT ,SEEMS SOME LADY NAMED MADAME CURE LIVED THERE ,WHY I FIGURED IT MIGHT BE FRENCH HERITAGE FIG .'nuff said

this is the first I've heard of that variety. I get a sprinkling of mule figs on several varieties here. I was thinking it was caused by some nutritional thing perhaps. I haven't pin pointed exactly what that might be...I haven't had any that looked quite like these tho. interesting...
      Pm me for the list of trees available for sale.
      Phoenix, AZ zone 9B

Comment

oh, I see...are there other H series figs? I thought I saws another mentioned in a different posting.
      Phoenix, AZ zone 9B

Comment

• Evdurtschi
        Evdurtschi commented
        Editing a comment
        There is a 505-HBY as well. It seems similar to VdB. Too soon to say. The tree was also 100+ years old so it certainly predates most VdB trees in the US and the quality was better for me last year. I’m keeping a close eye on it this year.

• goodfriendmike
        goodfriendmike commented
        Editing a comment
        heritage= H.

wow...interesting a 100 year old tree must be pretty large! I'd love to see a photo of the mother tree...are there any on the forum? I should do a search....
      Phoenix, AZ zone 9B

Comment

• Fig Gazer
        Fig Gazer commented
        Editing a comment
        Itook some photos with my 35 mm film camera and color xeroxed the prints, made a montage and showed it to interested figgers at a few fig get to gethers .no other photos the trunk is around 18 inches across in many directions .AT this age is healthy but only adds 2-3 inches of branch growth each year lots of fruit though ! Kind of like a BRISEL CONE PINE TREE .
    Working...
    X