X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Slowest Cutting to Date

I have a few laggards when it comes to cuttings rooting, leafing and actually growing but this one takes the cake. This Ischia Green was started on 12/13/20 and showed roots on 1/16/21. If grew two small leaves which it dropped and then remained stagnant with a green bud not dying but not growing until I finally noticed the bud open today. In between it was up potted, down potted, and up potted again in attempts to kick start it. On 6/15/21 I went around an gave a number rating to all of my trees that were on the edge of making it or failing and this was given a low score of 1 out of 5. Things considered where number of leaves, amount of roots, quality of leaves, and just overall impression.

I will continue to give it its own time not ignoring it but not babying it either. Who knows one day it may become one of my better friends. It does have a space in my heart because I knew it was always there just waiting. Maybe it was trying to teach me to be patient in this hobby.

On June 26:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210626_154202 (1).jpg
Views:	162
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	1017036

On July 2:

Name:	20210702_180235.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	623.8 KB
ID:	1017037

On July 22:

Name:	20210722_074251.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	343.5 KB
ID:	1017038
    NNJ 6B
    Wishlist: Colar d'Albatera, Mary Magdalene's and the Virgin Mary's Fig, Red Lebanese BV

You might have to eventually care for it over the winter indoors. Hate when that happens, I had the same problem last year. It took a long time until the end of the season then I had to put it in a grow tent for the rest of the winter. But It finally took and gave me four figs I’m waiting on. πŸ˜€ Never give up pal. Good luck
    Attached Files
    Zone 5 Barrie, on

Comment

Take care of it indoors for another winter? Oh, no. I don't plan on rooting this winter (yeah, right) but maybe I can let it grow as a houseplant, especially since my Feb 2020 indoor fig was sent out this spring.

For reference, here is the cutting's sister cutting started at the same time:

Name:	20210722_085138.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	496.1 KB
ID:	1017072
      NNJ 6B
      Wishlist: Colar d'Albatera, Mary Magdalene's and the Virgin Mary's Fig, Red Lebanese BV

Comment

I grew a few as houseplants last winter, and I have a few that will be houseplants this winter. I guess they are busy fighting off root rot or something like that.
        [Figs] -- Eastern Missouri -- Zone 6

Comment

BNR did that to me this year. I think I’ve finally got two established plants but wow, took their time. It’s maddening, I know.

Comment

Try to water it with 1 part hydrogen peroxide 2 parts water once. I did this before and I was surprised with how much of a change that did
            MJ
            Chicago Zone 5
            Figbid Listings Varieties List

Comment

• KDAD
              KDAD commented
              Editing a comment
              That's interesting. I may have hit it earlier this week with some fertilizer that I added Epsom salt to along with a sprinkling of bone meal. Lately the bud did look like it wanted to break open.

I think its just random with any variety. I have some that grow like weeds when others say there tuff. And vice versa ..
            https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
            WL: Raspberry Latte, Black Zadar. Spokane, Wa. Z6

Comment

I think I have the slowest cutting ever. A Smith I got in December or January. I tossed out rooting medium and there it was. Green and all, with no roots.

It's almost 8/9 months later and it's not showing any sign of rooting or rotting.

So I stuck it outside in a pot of soil and let nature do its thing with it.
              C.Florida 9B WL: I-258 , Black Ischia, Ham Rham, Ghoudane , Moro de Caneva

Comment

• FloraFig
                FloraFig commented
                Editing a comment
                goodfriendmike , that's to make up for all the figs I didn't get to grow this year πŸ˜‚
                It's a Meyer lemon that's going totally nuts this year.

• goodfriendmike
                goodfriendmike commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey Its good for pies, jelly and tea. And the zest is good on chicken and fish. Grow more figs next year

• FloraFig
                FloraFig commented
                Editing a comment
                I make delicious Marmalade and lemoncurd with it. And I use the dried flowerpetals in tea.

Working on those figs for next year πŸ˜…

I had a number of cuttings this year, all the same variety; some took really quickly and others did exactly what you have described and sat with a green bud for months on end. Most had good root systems in late winter but some have only just pushed growth. Other cuttings of the same variety are 16” tall now.
              Last edited by Joe94; 07-22-2021, 07:18 PM.
              Joe | UK | Zone 8b

Comment

I feel ya bro. Have @4 stalled like that. Curious as to a fix. Have changed upper soil, flushed with fresh water, light fertilization....just looks like yours. If you check there is probably hardly roots and very thin.

Patients is a @@@@@, lol.

I have had these before. Some make it, others are fertilizer.

Comment

• KDAD
                KDAD commented
                Editing a comment
                I had a bunch of slow pokes some that outright failed and some that I lost patience with and made it to the compost bin. This one is a keeper because it lost its leaves early on but never gave up so I have a feeling that it will make it. I have two others of the same variety so I can be patient with it.

Same here, I've had some of different varieties that have needed a year + of TLC to do much of anything. This year's cuttings seem to be moving along slower than most of last. If you don't learn anything else from gardening you DO learn patience.
              Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7b

Care for the Earth...there's no place like home

Comment

Working...
              X