X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Breba of Olympian and Desert King in NY zone 7a

Both could have used another day or two but they were soft and sagging with a few red ants going in and out of the ostiole. No sap came out the stem. Olympian weighed 73grams and Desert King 43grams. I was dissapointed with Desert king. Just a honey sweet taste with not alot of flavor. Olympian had a more interesting fruity melony flavor along with the same amount of sweetnesss. No wow factor .I give them a 6/10. More brebas to come ,maybe it will improve.
    Attached Files

No good peach flavors from the olympian?

That is one of the reasons I bought one.
    Kevin, N. Ga 7b Cheers!

Wishing all of you a bountiful harvest!

Comment

• cvarcher
      cvarcher commented
      Editing a comment
      Remember, this is the Breba. They can taste very differant. Last year my main crop did have the peach flavor. and I have a load of those coming soon!!

• Ktrain
      Ktrain commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah yeah true true...can't wait for mine to ripen! Lol

I really like the interior of that Olympian. Good Growing!
    Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7b

Care for the Earth...there's no place like home

Comment

That Olympian sure is purty. I’ve turned my 2 TCs into 4 or 5 for gifts but I have yet to taste one. Figlets now present so we’ll see 🤞🏼…. You get an Olympian! And you get an Olympian!
      CJ in Memphis 7b/8a….tight eyes, nonsplitters...Pons figs, French figs, Mario figs & tasty Cali seedlings!

Comment

<< More brebas to come, maybe it will improve. >>

Flavor won't improve if you keep picking the fruit too early. Those figs needed at least 2 more days, maybe 4-5.

If you do insist on picking them early, don't blame the variety for the poor performance, e.g. "I was dissapointed with Desert king." It's not the tree's fault that you pick the fruit too soon.

I know that this message may seem harsh. Please consider it tough love. It just hurts me to see growers work so hard to produce fruit but then fumble the ball on the 2-yard line.
        Last edited by jrdewhirst; 07-23-2021, 07:32 AM.
        Joe, Z6B, RI.

Comment

• jrdewhirst
          jrdewhirst commented
          Editing a comment
          cvarcher -- It looks like the necks ripped below the stem. Is that right? Or did you remove the stem after picking? I ask because a ripe fig should detach at the top of the stem. A ripped neck can be a "tell" that the fig isn't ripe.

• don_sanders
          don_sanders commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve found that a lot of people especially those new to figs actual prefer them quite firm. Much less ripe than I and a lot of others on this forum would like. Finding more varieties that are full of sweetness and flavor when less ripe would be highly desirable. And less ripe would be better for storage and transport. Sucrette UCD was one that was rather good “under ripe” and actually better than “properly ripe” to me but it just wasn’t as good as a limp AJH. I feel like I should be trying more figs less ripe to get an idea of their potential for those that don’t like mushy figs.

• cvarcher
          cvarcher commented
          Editing a comment
          I cut the neck off with a knife since I figured it was more green flesh and not the fruit. Let me make one thing clear. Brebas from what im told usually dont taste like the main crop and usually inferior taste wise as well. I have 2 Olympians because when I tasted the first ones MAIN crop it was delicious and peachy. This is my first breba from an inground tree. Im not put off by its non stellar taste of the Breba at all. Im also impressed that every leaf has not one spec of fig rust, and my grass sprinklers hit it every other day!! No splitting either.

Try something like organza bags or medical tape to keep the ants out. Some Tanglefoot on the trunk also. Makes a big difference 👍 I tend to pick mine too early also. It's a bad habit I'm trying to break this year.
        Steve - Clarksburg, MD zone 7a

Comment

• cvarcher
          cvarcher commented
          Editing a comment
          it did have a organza bag. These tiny red ants were smaller then deer ticks!! Probably walked right under the rim of the bag.
      Working...
      X