X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The aftermath of the heatwave

As many recall, a few weeks back we had a really intense heatwave come through for 3 or 4 days. For the most part the trees did fine, however some suffered some burnt leaves that I ended up cutting off. I also lost the skin on my greenhouse. It was completely shredded in the wind and high heat.

I have only counted one casualty from the trees. I thought maybe it might come back from below but nothing yet. It’s a mattepinta that was very green and only about a foot tall. The trunk completely bleached out and is now shriveled up. Nothing could be done. It was protected with the rest and maybe just more sensitive. if I remember I’ll take a pic later. I’m supposed to be resting for a few days so I may forget.

How did everyone else’s trees do now that we’re past the blast furnace?

Z8+ Oregon, willamette valley. WL: More land, cool citrus
    Ok fine, I made a channel but it’s not all figs: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC2vAVzLns27I5JUiwpiPMUw

Seems like I can't really see any lasting damage from the extreme heat except for maybe a few leaf tips getting toasted. By now, you can't tell anything happened.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tiger 6-21.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	498.8 KB
ID:	1017727 LSU Tiger after the heat wave Click image for larger version

Name:	tiger 7-21.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	493.3 KB
ID:	1017728 Now
    Eugene OR 8b

Comment

Wow your greenhouse got shredded? That’s crazy. You know what that means though? Time for an upgrade!
      FigLife: www.figlife.com
      www.youtube.com/figlifedotcom
      [email protected]

Comment

• Sod
        Sod commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol. Just new skin on it. Luckily I don’t need it right away. I’ve got time to replace it.

Sod Don't wait to purchase your materials to replace the greenhouse "skin" until the cool weather hits...materials will be out of stock...you know how that goes!!
      Pm me for the list of trees available for sale.
      Phoenix, AZ zone 9B

Comment

• Achilles
        Achilles commented
        Editing a comment
        crazy good advice right there. if you wait to get materials, that's when everyone else will be racing to get stuff too.

• Sod
        Sod commented
        Editing a comment
        Good call. Thanks Nancy.

Sorry about the damage. What did you use for plastic on the greenhouse and how old was it? I splurged and went with a higher grade greenhouse plastic when we built my cattle panel greenhouse last year. So far it has survived winter, high winds this spring, and a heatwave earlier this month. I'm hoping I get close to the five-six years it's supposed to last.
      “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
      – Source Unknown
      MA 5b/6a

Comment

• Sod
        Sod commented
        Editing a comment
        I put the plastic on back in November. I used 4mm but I’m going to spend the extra and get 6 or 8.

• ginamcd
        ginamcd commented
        Editing a comment
        I used the Thermal AC 6 mil based on recommendations from a few other members.

• Sod
        Sod commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I’ll look into that.

I moved all mine (1 gallon pots) into the shade, partially (pots fully shaded) and suffered no adverse effects. If anything, they finally woke up a bit.

Also, my pomegranate grew 8 inches in about 4 days, it was crazy.
      Seattle - Zone 8b - Sow the fig; reap the whirl-fig
      wishlist: to clone and identify the oldest figs in Seattle, introduce The Wasp to the PNW

Comment

Working...
      X