X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valle Negra

So I got my first opportunity to try a breba off of a Valle Negra! The craziest part for me was that it was basically drying on the tree here in zone 6a. Now let me be clear. This tree had been in a pot for the past 3 years, until I planted it in the ground at the end of May. I realize that this may be my only opportunity to get breba from this tree, since it is now in ground in zone 6a. With that said, I wanted to be sure and document this fruit, just in case it's the only breba I may be able to get from it.

I was pleasantly surprised with the taste, especially knowing that the main crop is usually a better tasting piece of fruit. The skin was a little tougher, but certainly didn't distract from the experience or the taste. It had a hint of cherry-like flavor, with a hint of concord grape taste, and a lot of seed crunch (which is fun for me). Nothing like raspberry or blackberry seeds though (MUCH softer). I'm guessing the concord grape taste came from the purple coloring towards the outer part of the fig. More of a guess, but that's my assumption. And the eye was very tight from what I was expecting. So that impressed me too!

If you want to see the video form of this taste test, I'll put it here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q0sKCjhSjo

All in all, it was good enough that I wanted to share thiswith this community!
    Have a great day all! Keep growing them figs!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fig A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.5 KB ID:	1017745

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fig B.jpg Views:	0 Size:	359.3 KB ID:	1017746
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Fig C.jpg Views:	0 Size:	362.7 KB ID:	1017747
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Fig D.jpg Views:	0 Size:	228.8 KB ID:	1017748
    Last edited by Froo-T; 07-23-2021, 10:27 AM.
    Zone 6a
    Wish List: To successfully grow figs in Ohio

Nicely done my friend. I hope you get more delicious figs.
    Joe - Rhode Island Zone 7a

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	A37F5961-4D50-4852-857B-AFB83206B09F.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	1018005
      Your Valle Negra Breba looks just like my Black Mission Brebas
      Peter - San Diego 10a. Santa Rosa 9b, 10b. WL: Angelito, Sicily 33, Narucciolo d Elba and Figoin. Better to give than to receive

Comment

• Froo-T
        Froo-T commented
        Editing a comment
        Pretty similar. That looks like it was pretty darn tasty!

• PBfigs
        PBfigs commented
        Editing a comment
        It was really good! Probably like yours. He he.

Beautiful. Looks perfect.
      Joe, Z6B, RI.

Comment

Looks delicious!
        ░░░SoCal░ ░ ͡ i ͡ ░ ░Zone░ ░9A░░░

W/L: La Joya, Ondata, Belvedere, Bebera Branca, Fico Giallo, Vernino, Asunta 5 Paco (DF)

Comment

Working...
        X