X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What figs look similar to Deset King?

Are there any other fig varieties that produce fruit that is similar to or could be mistaken for Desert King figs?

Edit: I was trying to help someone ID a fig that has green/yellow skinned fruit with pink/red interior. The only thing is that the leaves look very un-Desert King.
    Last edited by FigsNorth; 07-25-2021, 02:03 AM.
    Zone 3

Filacciano Bianco is one. I’m sure there are others as well.
    Eric - Seattle / Sunset Zone 5 - W/L: Granato - Now offering fig-pops, my rooting mix, and gritty potting mix! https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Brows...er=pacnorwreck

Comment

One of my unknowns looks like DK. But it bears good main crop. So I do not think it is DK. Still do not know what it is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9250.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	1018348
      Attached Files
      Princeton, New Jersey, 6B
      flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/red-sun/albums
      http://growingfruit.org/ for all fruits

Comment

• WCFiggy
        WCFiggy commented
        Editing a comment
        The leaf fingers look too long for DK. I thought DK has fatter fingers.

• FigsNorth
        FigsNorth commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, in my experience, DK leaves have fatter fingers and the fruit is more red inside. I would conclude this is not a DK.

• FigsNorth
        FigsNorth commented
        Editing a comment
        Anyone know what fig this could be if not Desert King? Maybe this is the same type as the mystery fig I was trying to ID.

I agree with PacNorWreck -- I think Filacciano Bianco is a synonym. Same for Zumwalt.
      Joe, Z6B, RI.

Comment

jrdewhirst @PacNorWreck

I should probably clarify that I'm not looking for synonyms for Desert King, ie. the same fig by another name.

Rather I'm looking for figs that are definitely not Desert King but where the fruit looks similar - green to yellow skin and pink to red on the inside.

​​​​​
        Last edited by FigsNorth; 07-24-2021, 11:11 PM.
        Zone 3

Comment

A neighbor gave me a tiny fig tree two years ago that he said is called Sanguinello. He said it is from Sicily and makes a large first crop of green figs with raspberry interiors, and that the second crop doesn't usually ripen. (Sound familiar?) Fast-forward to today. The tree is loaded with green brebas. They are fantastic but indistinguishable from Desert King -- but he swears it is from Sicily. I'm not sure what to think.

Sebastopol, California. Zone 9a
          The best time to plant a fig tree was 80 years ago. The second best time was 50 years ago. Oh well.

Comment

• FigsNorth
            FigsNorth commented
            Editing a comment
            Is it possible that the fig variety we call Desert King was originally from Sicily?

INTERESTING QUESTION ?? Not realy shure how to answer it ? NO fig comes with name inscibed on them selves except maybe a 100% genetic secence . SO people give them a name and at best keep a pedigre that is trusted and seems true to historical discriptions .WITH that in mind even in my limited travels i have 3 "Desert Kings" that are all san pedros and each a little different in look and taste . ONE IS SIGNIFIGATLY better than the other two in my opinion .There is also a Conadria that is very DK like . if your that into DK SEND ME A MESSAGE IN JAN AND I WILL SEND YOU WOOD FROM MY FAVORITE IF BFF rules alow ?
          Zone 10a So. Calif. W.L. Super tasty new finds !

Comment

• Fig Gazer
            Fig Gazer commented
            Editing a comment
            Ps what the heck is zone 3 antartica ?????

• FigsNorth
            FigsNorth commented
            Editing a comment
            @FigGazer lol. Yep pretty much. I was just reading AscPete s post about how many "growing degree days" figs require to ripen fruit. Most were like 2000 to 4000 for main crop. 1500 was the lowest for breba. My zone apparently has historically averaged 1050 gdd! Sucks. Anyway, I did manage to ripen breba and some mains last year but maybe only because of climate change. This year has been scorching hot, but unfortunately the season is very short.

Fig Gazer Conadria - that's helpful. Thanks for the offer but I am assuming I can't import cuttings without a lot of hoops.

Everyone - I should further clarify that I was asking to help someone ID their fig. It produces fruit that looks like DK, but the leaves do not look like DK. So I was wondering what other fig variety it could be.
          Last edited by FigsNorth; 07-26-2021, 12:17 PM.
          Zone 3

Comment

Originally posted by FigsNorth View Post
            jrdewhirst @PacNorWreck

I should probably clarify that I'm not looking for synonyms for Desert King, ie. the same fig by another name.

Rather I'm looking for figs that are definitely not Desert King but where the fruit looks similar - green to yellow skin and pink to red on the inside.

​​​​​
            The problem is that we can't really separate look-alikes from synonyms without genetic tests. Just because I think that Filacciano Bianco and Zumwalt are synonyms for Desert King doesn't mean that they really are.

Genetic data suggests that the San Pedro variety known as "White San Pedro" is slightly different from Desert King. White San Pedro apparently used to be widely grown in CA, but in my almost ten years reading about figs on various forums, nobody has mentioned growing it. A mystery.

Some Common figs somewhat look like DK. Brooklyn White comes to mind. The fruit, at least.
            Joe, Z6B, RI.

Comment

I have two san pedros that are not DK that look almost identical but have slight variations in fruit and growth habit. I also have corkys honey delightcabd the breba looks a lot like DK
              Actively seeking any and all varieties
              #Sharing is caring
              Courtenay, BC 🇨🇦 zone 8a

Comment

• FigsNorth
                FigsNorth commented
                Editing a comment
                Is Corky's also a san pedro variety? Do you only get the breba crop?

• oat
                oat commented
                Editing a comment
                FigsNorth Nah, it has main crop.

in our area, Vancouver BC, due to very cool summer heat, Hardly any fig trees fruits well here, Many years ago, people do not know Desert king, Good one are all San Pedro, They are Italian green figs, greek green figs, I have seen 4 of them and I have 2 in my yards, tree-1 is 9 years old, Figs are less sweet than Desert king but more acidic, Tree-2 is 6 years old, sweeter than Desert king but too fast growing, however, They are high fig production tbut not as high as Desert king, For me, Just Desert king is enough. Just like people know I278, However about I277 and I279? In Olympic games, People will remember No1.
              Surrey BC canada

Comment

• FigsNorth
                FigsNorth commented
                Editing a comment
                @Rickyv101

Thanks for the comment. So it would seem like Desert King is indeed the king!

As an aside, what is bad about too fast growing?
                Last edited by FigsNorth; 08-01-2021, 10:51 AM.
            Working...
            X