X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncle Corky's Honey Delight- 3rd Year, Potted

There seems to be some interest in the Uncle Corky's Honey Delight variety but not whole lot of info and pics on it so I thought I'd share pics of my tree to help out. This one was purchased at an Italian market in Southern NJ along with a Black Mission. They're both Monrovia trees that came as single trunk trees in like 2 or 3 gal pots. I've kept them like that.

The Corky's was pretty small the first year but covered in figs which it promptly dropped, one by one. I ate one or 2 under ripe yucky figs and that was it. It was probably my fault because I had no idea what I was doing with figs. I overwintered them on the steps between my Bilco doors and the inside door to the basement. I cut the whole top off both trees before I put them away. They were just a stick, sticking out of the pot.

The 2nd year (last summer) it woke up in the spring and it grew well. It set some fruit but dropped a lot of the figs again. I only got like 3 last year. But!! I figured out that every time I watered it, it dropped a fig or 2. The tree was dry and clearly needed water though. I was starting to think I had bought a dud. So I up potted. And watered very carefully- just kinda sprinkles instead of watering until it comes out the bottom. I also pushed it up against my garage door so the overhang of the garage roof blocks most of the rain we get during the end of summer going into the fall. I kept tight control on the water. That's how I finally got a properly ripened fig that wasn't watery and melon flavored. OMG it was SO GOOD! It was completely different than the other few I had. My hope was rekindled. Last fall, I left it outside all winter, pushed up against the house (red brick- south facing wall with all the N & NW winds blocked out) .

This year, 3rd year, it woke right up like nothing happened. It has filled out into a really nice tree with a thick trunk. It's covered in fruit that is not dropping so far. Not a single one has dropped yet. For the first 2 seasons, most of the fruit was gone by the end of July. I have high hopes for this year.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 7 photos.
    Last edited by Realtorbyday; 07-25-2021, 01:00 AM.
    South Jersey, zone 7a- 20 mins from Philly, 30 mins from AC

Here are photos of the leaves and fruit:
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 10 photos.
    South Jersey, zone 7a- 20 mins from Philly, 30 mins from AC

Comment

What a pretty tree! This is my first year with UCHD and the two breba I tasted so far were really nice. I hope mine gets to be as good looking as your tree.
      Zone 10b, Long Beach CA
      Creator of The Original Wasp In Fly Out (WIFO) Bags
      Wish list: Bebera Branca

Comment

• Realtorbyday
        Realtorbyday commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you so much!

Beautiful specimen of Uncle Corkys. I have a first year tree that I have high hopes for.
      Joe - Rhode Island Zone 7a

Comment

• Realtorbyday
        Realtorbyday commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you! Good luck with yours.

YOUR Uncle Corkey's looks great ! i 'CHEATED" and bouht mine from Monrovia already in 10 gal +- pot and about the size of yours now and imeadiatly put in ground in one of my best spots its 9 feet tall well filled out and produces lots of breba and main crop my absolute favorite honey type fig with lots of extra flavor ! when caprified often makes a 10 rating ,SO GOOD ! A top 10 fig and i have 160 verieties although have not tasted them all couple years to go for that . BOTTOM LINE GREAT CHOICE !
      Zone 10a So. Calif. W.L. Super tasty new finds !

Comment

• oat
        oat commented
        Editing a comment
        I want to try a caprified Corky!

• Realtorbyday
        Realtorbyday commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, I'm even more exicted to see how this one develops! Thank you.

That tree looks great!

I have been contemplating adding that to my already too big collection. lol

So what was the flavor like? I'm interested
      Kevin, N. Ga 7b Cheers!

Wishing all of you a bountiful harvest!

Comment

• Realtorbyday
        Realtorbyday commented
        Editing a comment
        Ktrain Thank you! I don't have enough experience with figs to give you a good description but it wasn't berry flavor and it wasn't melon flavor when it was properly ripened. It was just sweet and YUMMY. I'll update you this year if things continue to go well.
        Last edited by Realtorbyday; 07-25-2021, 12:47 AM.

• Realtorbyday
        Realtorbyday commented
        Editing a comment
        I will have a few nice cuttings to share this fall/winter unless something goes horribly wrong.

• Ktrain
        Ktrain commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a lot of berry flavor varieties, so something different is always welcome.
        Look forward to your update.

I've commented about this before, but will say it again. UCHD is a good fig. I have grow it for several years. This is one of the few figs that has a better breba than main crop, in my experience. The key to best flavor is as RealtorbyDay describes. If ripened in dry weather it is So good. Think watermelon-sugar. The main crop is also good but more honey like. Here's a breba photo from 2019...
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
      Angel #1 at 2 Angels Mushrooms & Figs-Chattanooga, TN Zone 7-B
      You are invited to The Fig Frolic on Sat., Sept. 17th, AND Hang Time (for OurFigs only) INFO HERE

Comment

• 2AngelsMushrooms
        2AngelsMushrooms commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, on last year's growth. Hopefully, you will get to try the breba next spring for yourself. This one pictured was dead ripe and it was ripened in hot dry weather. I wish I could orchestrate that every time!

• Realtorbyday
        Realtorbyday commented
        Editing a comment
        I can't wait to get fruit from any of the trees at this point. This is my third year- a lot of my trees are fruiting for the first time. I'm so excited! I'm finally going to get to taste several different varieties that I've been WAITING patiently to try.

• 2AngelsMushrooms
        2AngelsMushrooms commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a pretty awesome feeling! So fun to see that. Enjoy the anticipation!

Gorgeous trees!
      Phoenix, Arizona 9B

Comment

I have a UCHD and also on my 3rd year with it, first two years I had the same experience as you.....all the fruit dropped. This year it is loaded with fruit, nothing has dropped so far and I have my fingers crossed.
      Brielle, NJ..Zone 7a

Comment

• Realtorbyday
        Realtorbyday commented
        Editing a comment
        Keep me posted with your results. Maybe we can compare notes. I'm def interested.
    Working...
    X