X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another Olympian and Desert King breba NY zone 7a (7/25/21) in ground

This time the Olympian fig fell off the tree. It just had to be ripe. It sure looked great and no sap at the stem. It weighed in at 75grams . The smaller Desert king was fully sagged and soft,covered with the tiniest red ants However last night it also rained . Sigh-all the little factors--right!! Anyway Olympia again a very mild honey sweet taste with just a detectable berry like backround . Desert King a touch more sweeter but not much else. Neither had any complexity. Id give them a 6/10 again. Olympian is more cold hardy and larger .Both plants were 4 years old, 2yrs in the pot and 2 full years in the ground. I will compare the main crop of Olympian when they ripen. Right now they are from 1/2 to 1 1/2" long.
    Attached Files

Has the taste improved from transitioning to inground ? I hope the main for your Olympian improves. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe - Rhode Island Zone 7a

Comment

• cvarcher
      cvarcher commented
      Editing a comment
      HA HA . another question with a poor answer. So I never got a breba when they were in pots the first 2 years. The third year in ground DK gave 2 brebas which were about the same taste as they are now(remember its a san pedro so no main crop to compare it to in non wasp land) . The Olympian only gave 2 main crop figs the third year in ground but they were delicious with the
      peach flavor and sugar sweet. So this is its first year of giving brebas .But it sure tastes very differant from the main crop. So they only gave figs in ground . I also have a younger olympian though in a pot with 2 main crop figs which I will compare to the inground main later on. But again it would be its first time fruit too. Not a fair comparison in that sense.

That's a beauty!

Awesome color.
    Kevin, N. Ga 7b Cheers!

Wishing all of you a bountiful harvest!

Comment

• cvarcher
      cvarcher commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks. here is a picture of a Olympian Main crop from last year

main crop Olympian from last year
    Attached Files

Comment

• Ktrain
      Ktrain commented
      Editing a comment
      I am waiting very impatiently for mine to ripen....lol

Looks great!

• JMF75
      JMF75 commented
      Editing a comment
      The fact that Olympian main crop tastes similar to a peach is worth adding to my collection. Thank you for sharing.

That's a beautiful color inside! You do great reviews too. Thanks!
    South Jersey, zone 7a- 20 mins from Philly, 30 mins from AC

Comment

Thanks, I feel like some of the other passionate people here too. Love my figs!!

Comment

Waiting a few more days for my first breba Olympian.
        Attached Files
        https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
        WL: Raspberry Latte, Black Zadar. Spokane, Wa. Z6

Comment

Working...
        X