X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmadi 2021

I got this tree from a local palestinian man who said it originates from his country. His mother tree was in ground and gigantic. Maybe 10 to 20 years old. The name means "acidic" in arabic.

The first few figs split in the rain we had been having. This one was starting to wrinkle on the tree.

I need to pick more of these to form a judgement. And at different ripening stages. It is way too premature to say I like this or don't like this.

I didn't really get any flavor off of this one. The only impression I got was "sweet". My only guess is that the tree has defoliated quite a bit, and hasn't grown since a month. The spider mites really stunted it, before I was able to get rid of them. I need to fertilize this tree heavily.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210725_144633_copy_873x1164.jpg Views:	0 Size:	168.7 KB ID:	1019201 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210725_144709_copy_873x1164.jpg Views:	0 Size:	180.9 KB ID:	1019200 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210725_144627_copy_873x1164.jpg Views:	0 Size:	148.9 KB ID:	1019203 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210725_144818_copy_873x1164.jpg Views:	0 Size:	244.0 KB ID:	1019202
    Last edited by ieatfigs; 07-25-2021, 02:53 PM.
    GA, 7b

Yum!
    CJ in Memphis 7b/8a….tight eyes, nonsplitters...Pons figs, French figs, Mario figs & tasty Cali seedlings!

Comment

Score!!
      that looks tasty!
      Round Rock, TX 8b
      WL: Delicious figs

Comment

Since there's not many photos out there of this variety, here's another one that looks a little different. Maybe this variety becomes acidic (like its name) when caprified (as I've seen mentioned here how some figs work). I also forgot to mention this variety produces breba (these photos are not breba).

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210725_181112_copy_873x1164.jpg Views:	0 Size:	208.9 KB ID:	1020300
        GA, 7b

Comment

I’ve been curious about this variety. Which season would you say it is?
          San Francisco Zone 10B.
          WL: None

Comment

• ieatfigs
            ieatfigs commented
            Editing a comment
            This year it got a head start, as all my trees woke up early in the garage. It is ripening at the same time as my other local unknown varieties. So my guess is that it is early season variety or early to mid season? Perhaps late August if it was grown in-ground? I'm just making an educated guess.

• oat
            oat commented
            Editing a comment
            @ieatfiga thanks!

Can you post leaf pics? Mine seem to be pretty distinctive.
          Z8+ Oregon, willamette valley. WL: More land, bigger studio, truth in marketing.

Ok fine, I made a channel but it’s not all figs.

Comment

• ieatfigs
            ieatfigs commented
            Editing a comment
            I can post some later. You're right they are distinctive. Palmata type leaves.

• Sod
            Sod commented
            Editing a comment
            Mine are like that too. I’m glad to see someone else growing this with some success. I didn’t realize it had a breba crop. I picked it up relatively cheap last year as cuttings because it was labeled early. I’m hoping that proves true.

I have a one year tree that is setting it's first fruits. They are starting to soften a bit and get some color.
          Attached Files
          Pm me for the list of trees available for sale.
          Phoenix, AZ zone 9B

Comment

• ieatfigs
            ieatfigs commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful tree. Please post pics when they're ripe and give us your description of the taste. My tree took too much damage from spider mites. That and also I'm terrible at describing taste.

ieatfigs Well, it's producing it's first ever figs, so they probably won't have much flavor...that's usually how it goes. If they turn out decent, I'll post some photos.
          Pm me for the list of trees available for sale.
          Phoenix, AZ zone 9B

Comment

Working...
          X