X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you keep back ups of your favorite varieties?

I'm finding that as I'm up-potting my figs, I am keeping 2 (and sometimes 3) of my favorite figs. I don't want to run the risk of having to obtain and start over from rooting a cutting. The ones I don't care as much about - only one. And I intend to start air-layers of those I like but only have 1 of.

Do you keep 'copies' of your favorites?
    SoCal, zone 10.
    www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Yes, indeed, whenever possible. Last year I lost a maltese beauty before I could not make a copy in time. I am still feeling the pain.
    Spares can also be used to share with friends.
    Last edited by FMD; 03-14-2015, 11:22 PM.
    Frank Tallahasee 8B
    North Florida Figs

Comment

Yes I do of my most prized trees. That is one reason I am reducing my herd to keep down the total number of plants.
      newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

I don't and so far it has not bit me but i'm sure my day is coming.
        Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

• Hershell
          Hershell commented
          Editing a comment
          You wouldn't notice if one was missing unless you did inventory. And then you would say I'm glad he (lol) has my backup.

• WillsC
          WillsC commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep less stress if a friend has a backup.

I have for some and I wish I did for the rest. Especially for CdDG which I now have none of.
        Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• Rui
          Rui commented
          Editing a comment
          Bob,let's keep our fingers crossed

Absolutely. The varieties I know I'll want forever, I'll make 2-3 backups. That's why I don't have many varieties, yet I have lots of trees.
        Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

I also have back ups. I also keep some extras just to trade or bring to one of the fig fests

Comment

Coop, I can't wait for Bass' fest this year. Lots of unknown Attilio Purples should be making the trip (and one of them has your name on it).
            I intend to grow as many RdB plants as I can. I've never tasted it, and I only had one plant at the end of last year, but if all goes well, I will have backups for the backups of this variety.
            Like you say, Gina, the so-so ones can go, but the good ones will be in the dozens, even if it means whittling it down to 10 varieties.

Comment

Part 2 of this discussion(as mentioned by Rui) would be- What varieties do you keep backups of(or wish you had)?
              Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
              Wishlist- Figues Juane, Demos unk, Nantes Maroc, Thermalito

Comment

Not really, but I should. I figure I can always get cuttings if I lose one and really want it again.
                https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
                SE PA
                Zone 6

Comment

Absolutely! I have yet to loose a tree, but as I figure out the ones I like I keep a few of them not only as backup, but also to try SIP vs regular, and ensure I have some to share.
                  Youtube: PA Figs eBay: tdepoala
                  Wishlist: Galicia Negra, Paritjal Rimada, Black Ischia UCD

Comment

Rui said:
                    Like you say, Gina, the so-so ones can go, but the good ones will be in the dozens, even if it means whittling it down to 10 varieties.
                    That's part of it as well. I'd rather have 3 of a variety I really like than several different kinds - some of which are not as good to me.

However, like princes, you have to kiss a lot of figs before you find the keepers.
                    SoCal, zone 10.

Comment

I have a lot of kissing to do...I'm at well over 150 varieties

Comment

I thought I was the only crazy one. I have tons of multiples. Some of them I have 3 or more. When they are getting ripe it's nice to be able to pick bunches from your favorite varieties.
                        Art
                        Western Pa -6a

Comment

Gina, I'm planning to. Not only in the event of the worst and loosing a favorite, but if it is a favorite I may want more than one! I'm to new to the hobby to have any favorites just yet, heck, I've only had one fresh fig from my own trees so far. I've had a few store bought "fresh" figs, and plenty of dried, so at this point I have no idea which will be my favorite, could be all of them!!!

Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Yes. (But not for all of them).
                            Mike -- central NY state, zone 5a -- pauca sed matura

Comment

There are a few varieties that I have growing both in Texas and Colorado. Also, there are some I have multiples of in Texas which I will (hopefully someday soon) get around to digging up or propagating then bringing to Colorado. I also have a few duplicate trees in Colorado which will be planted (again, hopefully someday soon) in Texas. I am guessing there will be more varieties not suited to Colorado than not suited for Texas, and those will be transferred accordingly.
                              Littleton, CO (zone 5b) - In Containers
                              N.E. of Austin, TX (zone 8b)- In Ground.

Comment

Only a few varieties are duplicated - Adriatic JH, RdB, etc. I should have duplicates for more but so far I have usually opted to collect new varieties (to trial them here) rather than duplicate varieties I already have. Space and my time is limited so I can't really try out new varieties and have lots of duplicates.
                                Steve
                                D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
                                WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

I was going to write something, but it would almost say exactly what Steve just wrote, even down to the varieties.
                                  Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                                  Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

There are three that I want to make copies of this year - and the first two I have yet to taste. Battaglia Green, Maltese Falcon, and Black Triana/St Jerome.

This year my emphasis has been in moving up the keepers, plus giving away extras and 'culls'. Basically thinning the herd, in part, because of the drought, and in part to take stock of where my collection stands and where I want it to go.
                                    SoCal, zone 10.

Comment

A few years ago, I had an offer I could not refuse, on selling the land that I had my fig collection. That left me with no trees… so no backups. Take my word for it, its very painful. Starting over is hard. I just found a tree today that took about 3 years of looking and had to overpay for it because it might have taken 3 more years if I passed this up.
                                      So now if I could get you rooting fig gurus, to root my 39 MP cuttings, I would be a very happy person.
                                      GOD knows if I try rooting them it will be a blood bath
                                      andreas-patras Peloponnisos Greece zone 9a

Comment

• Mgorski
                                        Mgorski commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        What plant was it Adreas? I'm also curious about your MP cuttings. As is often mentioned, coir is going to make rooting those much easier. Good you were able to find coir online, and you can reuse it if you keep it clean and then heat sterilize it.

Mike in Hanover, VA

Originally posted by andreas-patras View Post
                                      So now if I could get you rooting fig gurus, to root my 39 MP cuttings, I would be a very happy person.
                                      GOD knows if I try rooting them it will be a blood bath
                                      This year, the coco coir (CocoTek) mixed with perlite has been a great combo. 4 cuttings, different varieties, all rooted in just over 2 weeks. BUT, a bigger factor was probably the location. I sat them on my microwave so they got an occasional spike of warmth. The ones sitting in my cooler basement rooted much slower and had some mold. The ones upstairs in the more comfortable environment had no mold and faster root growth. Good luck with those!
                                      Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Frank thanks for the help and info.
                                        we dont have coir or perlite in Greece, but this year i ordered some from the internet.
                                        i bought some greek cuttings and i will try this method and a couple of others before i tuch the MP cuttings. if they fail, i will go old school on them.
                                        ill just stick them in the ground and pray!!!
                                        andreas-patras Peloponnisos Greece zone 9a

Comment

• Gina
                                          Gina commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          What is MP?

• andreas-patras
                                          andreas-patras commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          sorry Gina. figs from the Pons collection. (like rimadas)

After last years' fungus gnat disaster, I definitely have backups. The goal is one in-ground for every (1) gal variety. So far, 14 in-ground and counting...
                                        Faith, family, friends and figs. (Not necessarily in that order).

Comment

Kept a few. I ensure my buddies have them so I don't need spares.

Comment

Working...
                                          X