X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Anticipation- Black Madeira

Today I discovered that the first black Madeira fig of the season is beginning to ripen. It’s BMKK and is grafted onto a vigorous Frankenfig.
    Hopefully the critters won’t swipe it before it is ready.
    Attached Files
    Piney Point Village, Zone 8b
    W/L- Allix, Cateto

You are in for a real treat!!!! Have you had one before?
    Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

Comment

• Bellefleurs
      Bellefleurs commented
      Editing a comment
      This branch is a graft that fruited last year.
      The figs were incredible (first year, even).
      Tasting that Black Madeira last summer helped me understand why people grow figs!!

Please keep us post and let us know how it tastes! Do you get tight clusters of fruit near the apical growths?

Simon

Comment

In the ground?
      CJ in Memphis 7b/8a….tight eyes, nonsplitters...Pons figs, French figs, Mario figs & tasty Cali seedlings!

Comment

• Bellefleurs
        Bellefleurs commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s grafted to an in ground rootstock.

My MIB is starting to ripen too. Does anyone know of a top tier fig that ripens later? I think I need one!
      Phoenix, Arizona 9B

Comment

• JMF75
        JMF75 commented
        Editing a comment
        Any of the Col De Dame figs tend to ripen late and are delicious.

• American Infigdel
        American Infigdel commented
        Editing a comment
        JMF75 - Thanks. I have a CdD Gris on my radar.

• Bellefleurs
        Bellefleurs commented
        Editing a comment
        Definitely CdD figs....DSJG is late (for me) as well.

Looks good!

Comment

@Bellefleurs
        Kindly do not water the tree during this ripening time, BM will be very easy to split at this stage if it is watered.
        Hope you will taste it very soon!
        Tung, Vietnam
        - Growing figs in a tropical climate

Comment

• Bellefleurs
          Bellefleurs commented
          Editing a comment
          Fortunately we don’t have rain in the forecast and my irrigation doesn’t kick in again until Tuesday.
          Should I turn it off for a few more days?

• doubleblue
          doubleblue commented
          Editing a comment
          @Bellefleurs
          Yes, good idea to turn it off until you get this ripe BM.
          When I see my BM turns to ripening stage, I often do not water the tree and cover the pot with plastic bag to keep the potting mix in pot being moisture during that time.

• American Infigdel
          American Infigdel commented
          Editing a comment
          Bellefleurs - The AZ monsoon kicked in last week and we had 3 inches of rain. Two of my MIB split and a bird pecked out one that was partially ripe. I picked one because it was dripping honey, but it may be too early. I'll cut it open tomorrow. Keep a close eye on your baby!

Congratulations on your BMKK. Looks delicious
        Zone 8B, MS
        WL: CDDB, CDDN, JH Adriatic, White Madeira, Scott’s Black, LSU Tiger

Comment

That one looks like it is going to be amazing, enjoy
          SW TN 7B Wish list: Boysenberry Blush, Coll de Dama Mutante, Madeira Island Black, Cravens Craving, Malibu Greek and Fico Giallo. Any fig I can grow and Happy Days

Comment

Tom V
            San DiegoCa

Comment

Great news. Almost made your special day too! I'll have to wait another year for this one since I made the newbie mistake of letting my 1st year BMkk carry 10-12 fruit last year that formed too late to ripen. The tree was 5 1/2 ft tall, but still a bad idea. This year I'm needing to let it gain its strength back. Please comment on the flavor when it's ready and pics would be great too ☺️
              ​​​​​
              Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7b

Care for the Earth...there's no place like home

Comment

Originally posted by Bellefleurs View Post
                Hopefully the critters won’t swipe it before it is ready.
                Time to install a cage! Hardware cloth would work. Or you can clamp a clear plastic box over that part of the branch (e.g., a container like you get fresh strawberries in at the grocery store).
                Alan. Los Angeles area. Zone 10b (Sunset zone 24).
                Looking for: Boysenberry Blush, Dolce Calderai, Hative D'Argenteuil, Ondata.

Comment

I wish I could have one lol, congrats !! My bm didnt do so well this year 😔
                  Zone 5 Barrie, on

Comment

• Bellefleurs
                    Bellefleurs commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’m convinced that this one is doing well because it’s a graft on a well established (in ground) rootstock.
                    My Violeta (young, in ground tree) ripened a couple of figs last month but they both split.
                    Preto (also in ground) is loaded with figs but they are still unripe. Same for Black Tuscan, Cravens Craving and MIB.

Isnt it too early in the season ? Considering some 120 days to ripen, the figs should have formed by 1st or April.
                  Dallas,TX - Zone 8a - Follow me @thefarmingtales on Insta.
                  WL - Angelito, El Sueno Yellow, Yellow Absheron, Fico Giallo, Tia Penya, Campaniere, Moro de Caneva, Cessac, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

Today I picked the fig!!!
                    I was worried about losing it to a certain creature (that got tangled up in the bird netting that was protecting the Olympia fig tree.
                    What a GAME CHANGER.
                    This Black Madeira fig was without question the best fig I’ve tasted EVER. I’m thankful that my tree is loaded and I’m looking forward to many more to enjoy and to share with friends and family. ❤️
                    Attached Files
                    W/L- Allix, Cateto

Comment

• Halligan-
                      Halligan- commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Did you give him some swimming lessons?

Great looking fig!!

• Bellefleurs
                      Bellefleurs commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No swimming lessons. I let it go....

• Forrest
                      Forrest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I am glad your fig survived and you were able to enjoy.

How many days was the hang time..Guess a longer hang time would make it better. Last year my tree started ripening in October/November and with all the rain and cold weather it was hanging in there for ever and was pretty bland when I picked them. Hopefully this year is different as it is in full sun and the figlets formed over 2 months ago.
                    Dallas,TX - Zone 8a - Follow me @thefarmingtales on Insta.
                    WL - Angelito, El Sueno Yellow, Yellow Absheron, Fico Giallo, Tia Penya, Campaniere, Moro de Caneva, Cessac, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

This one took around 3 days or so.
                      The intense heat and lack of rain allowed it to soften up quickly. I’m sure that it could have used a couple more days to ripen. It was still incredible.
                      W/L- Allix, Cateto

Comment

• swethakyadav
                        swethakyadav commented
                        Editing a comment
                        BM is known to hang for ever... I think it was like 9 days or so last year but weather was definitely cooler. I think atleast 6 days is what you need to get the intense flavor and its also a learning curve to pick them at the right moment for every variety.

• Bellefleurs
                        Bellefleurs commented
                        Editing a comment
                        My grafts ripened figs last year so I know how great these can be.
                        This one might have been hanging longer but I was counting the days from when I first noticed that the fig had turned purple.

I just got my first BMjon off a brown turkey rootstock tree that is only about 3 feet high. I think this will be a real winner once when the graft & tree get older.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                      Phoenix, Arizona 9B

Comment

Working...
                      X