X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice from people who are experienced with wasp pollination

I seem to live outside of the wasp range but the closest wasps seem to not be that far from me. During my run this weekend I spotted a random fig tree that has a mission leaf type on the trail. I ran there before and never thought of stopping and looking closely because I thought it was just a Mission that someone guerrilla-planted.
    Thanks to my toddler wanting to stop. I looked and noticed that the breba figs looked nothing like a Mission. It looks dryer than it should be given that it was really ripe. I decided to cracked it open and sure enough it’s a caprifig with confirmed wasps. I’m thrilled. I’m now have a very accessible profichis 😀!!
    I have a few questions:
    1. How many profichis should I bring over to caprify my figs? I want to have most of them caprified but I don’t want over-caprification or spoilage.
    2. How ripe should I pick them. From reading if they are completely ripe, the wasps left?
    3. Anything special I should do besides leaving them in a brown paper bag in my yard?
    Thanks a lot!

San Francisco Zone 10B.
    WL: None

A dude on YouTube named Akos I think, who lives in Hungary...it looks like he strings two caprfigs on a wire and hangs that at each tree, in the middle of the canopy.

As for when to pick...I wish I could help ya out. My best guess is obvious plump figs could be picked and then hung up and that should work out, but I have no idea what I'm talking about lol.
    Tom V
    San DiegoCa

Comment

• oat
      oat commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, it seems like a few per tree is good enough. I wish I know when to pick. I picked a few that look just about to be ripe but not yet super ripe.

At that distance they should be pollinating your figs already. If not grab a few and as ZomVee said hang them by or on your trees. How many depends on how many trees you have that are producing
    Louisiana Zone 8/9. W/L Whatever fig I don't have.

Comment

• JR
      JR commented
      Editing a comment
      @oat
      When you say Palmata , do you mean the hybrid variety PalmataxCarica - i.e. DFIC0023 ??.
      If it is the DFIC0023 you shall definitely need to provide pollination while this fruit is still receptive... the end product is a pretty nice large black Smyrna.

• oat
      oat commented
      Editing a comment
      JR it’s the N1 Palmata from Brian M. I think it’s a Palmata or Palmata hybrid from Italy. From my experience it seems to need to be pollinated too.

• JR
      JR commented
      Editing a comment
      Iam not aware of that N1Palmata.
      You may check On the forum this hybrid DFIC0023 developed by the Univ of California.

FOR what its worth ,i have all my Smyrna growing in a 20 x 30 foot area of the orchard (yard) i put half a dozen profici there every two weeks for 6 weeks ,0ne profici on each of my DK for the second (main) crop for 6 weeks and leave the spill over and "natural "wasp fly bys caprifi around 1/2 my common figs .THE window for caprification is not large and ends when fig is walnut to small chiken egg size .TRY TO HANG IN TREE SHADED SO ANTS DONT EAT IMERGING WASPS
    Zone 10a So. Calif. W.L. Super tasty new finds !

Comment

• oat
      oat commented
      Editing a comment
      Great suggestion, thank you! Do you put them in paper bags? I will watch out for the ants. I also have lots of spiders. I hope some will make it.

• sc4001992
      sc4001992 commented
      Editing a comment
      Fig Gazer, thanks for your advice, I will need to try your method when my Smyrna grow enough to have fruits next year. I didn't know when/how long they needed the fig wasps.

I just found out that my fig tree that I got from my neighbor is a capri fig with fig wasps. Here's some photos of one fig I picked last week which had the wasps. This is the first time I have seen a fig wasp, but I can tell you that my capri fig tree had many figs so far that ripened and only one was soft ripe when I picked it. The ripe fig was soft and inside was dark and had a good sweet taste. So when I picked this fig, I tried to wait until the fruit started to turn black, it still has some green and it was still firm. I left the fig covered in this clear plastic cup and in 1 day the fig wasps started to come out so I cut it in half and there were more inside.

Fullerton, CA

Comment

• sc4001992
      sc4001992 commented
      Editing a comment
      JR, what?? You mean I ate some wasps when I tried the ripe fruit. I guess next time I will look closer with a magnifier. I won't be eating any more figs from this tree.

• JR
      JR commented
      Editing a comment
      Well..it happens. If you kept any pictures of that Profichi you tasted I could be more specific and evaluate at what stage of development that fruit was..
      Bear in mind that the coming Caprifig crop on your tree (?) -the Mammonies- is even more tricky... It may eventualy look exactly like their main crop neighbors but, as you know, it should contain wasps. These Mammonies or Caprifig summer crop are there to keep the wasp alive through summer and until the coming fall when the first fruit of the winter crop - the Mammes- start taking form and be ready to lodge the insect through winter...

• sc4001992
      sc4001992 commented
      Editing a comment
      JR, thanks for the info, didn't know any of this since I'm very new to growing figs (good stuff), only had the one Brown Turkey growing for a while. Just started buying cuttings and getting into figs to eat.

I saw two wasps went into my Violette de Sollies. I'm wondering if I should tape the ostiole now to prevent the fig from blowing up? Do figs usually stop more wasps from going in?
    San Francisco Zone 10B.
    WL: None

Comment

• RosyPosy
      RosyPosy commented
      Editing a comment
      I have no idea. But, I’m so excited for you! 😁👏 Lol, you must report back once you’re able to try the caprified ones.

• oat
      oat commented
      Editing a comment
      RosyPosy I’m gonna have to guard it like a mad man. My local rats have exquisite taste 🥲
Working...
X