X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overwintering Ischia Black UCD main crop. Early main crop figs!

I've read about overwintering last year's main crop but haven't found too much info on it. This was actually a very surprising, early, main crop fig! The first overwintered main crop was spungy and not fully formed inside and not really worth eating. This one is much different! Despite all the rain we've been getting it was still very juicy, sweet figgy flavor similar to Negronne or VdB types. Instantly make you crave more! Came in at 40g.

It looked like the first photo for almost 7 weeks and then within a few days was fully black and hanging. Second to last photo is the tree loaded with main crop right now! Last photo is another overwintered fig on the way with unique red stripes!
    Attached Files
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
    Last edited by HuntforFigs; 07-25-2021, 09:50 PM.
    NH - Zone: 5b/6a
    WL: Cosme Manyo, De la Senyora (Hivernenca)

Very nice! Sounds tasty
    ░░░SoCal░ ░ ͡ i ͡ ░ ░Zone░ ░9A░░░

Comment

Some have reported molding and resulting death of branch wood with overwintered main crop figs. If you continue to leave figs on during winter storage, keep a close eye on them to ensure they are looking okay and it not, be prepared to remove the figs before damage is done. I can't easily get to most of my trees while they are in storage so all unripe figs come off before they get packed away.
      “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
      – Source Unknown
      MA 5b/6a

Comment

• HuntforFigs
        HuntforFigs commented
        Editing a comment
        I hadn't considered mold to be a problem but I can see why that would be troublesome. I kept a pretty good eye on all my trees during dormancy and only left the best looking figs, still on. The first overwintered fig that ripened was no good. Similar to how the first fig of a main crop is often inferior. The ones after were able to ripen just like they would as main crop. It also seemed as though the swell to hang time was reduced by a few days as well. I'm about to go take a picture of the red striped overwintered main crop that I posted above. That photo was taken yesterday and Its almost completely black today and I have a good feeling it will also ripen nicely.

There may be a method to this to get consistent early main crop figs from the second crop of the previous season. I will definitely keep experimenting. Thanks for the warning!

Figs are incredible! This was very delicious with so many complex overtones of berries and wine. This was of of the last figs to form, last season. Cant believe I'm eating Ischia Black figs in July!
      Attached Files
      NH - Zone: 5b/6a
      WL: Cosme Manyo, De la Senyora (Hivernenca)

Comment

Nice! I didn't know this was possible.
        Steve - Clarksburg, MD zone 7a

Comment

“Over wintered Main crop figs” are simply Breba Figs...

Breba Figs are either;
          1. Main crop Figs that don’t develop into Stage I Figs last year or
          2. Figs that develop to Stage I then go dormant due to Fall weather before reaching Stage II...

The phenology / Timing for Ficus carica L is;
          Breba Figs: (3 to 3-1/2 months)
          Stage I ... Spring growth to quiescence, 7 - 8 weeks
          Stage II ... Quiescence stage (or stagnant stage) 2 weeks.
          Stage III ... Ripening 2 weeks.

Main Crop Figs: (3 to 5 months / early to late ripening)
          Stage I ... Rapid growth to quiescence, 5 - 6 weeks
          Stage II ... Quiescence stage (or stagnant stage) 3 - 8 weeks (depending on the fig variety)
          Stage III ... Ripening 3 - 5 weeks.

... https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...-ripening-figs
          Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• oat
            oat commented
            Editing a comment
            I don’t have an issue calling them an early breba. I don’t think it’s that simple though. My VdB had some hold over main crop figs from last year. They have been ripening before the brebas, which makes sense but the quality is also that of the main crop. The density, flavor-intensity, color of the pulp is also those of the main crop. I see no purple leaching into the syconium, that is common in the breba figs.

• HuntforFigs
            HuntforFigs commented
            Editing a comment
            Ah, thank you for clarification on that. Wasn't sure what to call them. They definitely seem a little different than your average brebas. The "main crop" left on last season, are the only breba that formed so far, on a mature tree. If this was considered a breba, then it must be a very high quality breba to develop similar to main crop and certainly worth the effort to get them to ripening this early. This may be a variety that can do this better than others.

• AscPete
            AscPete commented
            Editing a comment
            HuntforFigs ,
            You're welcome.

The Violette de Bordeaux types ( Negronne, Nero600, Petite Aubique, Petite Negra, etc) all produce quality Breba figs, Ischia Black is similar.
            Cultivars that also produce Breba figs that are similar to main crop figs in quality are the Mount Etna types aka Hardy Chicago types...
        Working...
        X