X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper dosage of fert in containers

Hi, wanted to confirm the proper dosage for miracle grow water soluble fertilizers. There’s two options, small side of the scoop per gallon or the large side of the scoop per gallon. I’m assuming the large scooper is correct? Thanks!
    Zone 7a Westchester County, NY
    Wish List:Boysenberry Blush, De La Roca. Vincenzo, The One, Calderona de miner, Verdolino, Blanche De Deu’s Saisons

The answer may depend on how often you want to fertilize - though I’m not personally experienced with miracle grow. How often do you plan on fertigating?
    Eric - Seattle / Sunset Zone 5 - W/L: Granato - Now offering fig-pops, my rooting mix, and gritty potting mix! https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Brows...er=pacnorwreck

Comment

Neither one is correct...

The recommended dose is one (1) Tablespoon per Gallon of Water every 2 weeks / 14 Days.
      • large scoop is 1-1/2 Tablespoon for a 1-1/2 Gallon Watering Can?
      • small scoop is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water for Indoor Plants.
      I use ~ 1-1/2 teaspoons Miracle-Gro All Purpose per gallon of water every week, eliminates any possibility of burn and creates a more "continuous" feed schedule for the plants.
      I mix at 3 Tbsp / 5 gallon Bucket with 1 tsp of Epsom Salt (no Magnesium in Miracle-Gro All Purpose) at every feeding, its pre-mixed (shaken) in a quart bottle before adding to the 4+ gallons in the bucket.
      Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• Pdiscool
        Pdiscool commented
        Editing a comment
        AscPete so when calculating a half strength feeding for cuttings I’m rooting process, you would go by the indoor plant recommendation. Indoor plant would be 1/2 teaspoon, so rooted cutting would receive half strength of indoor plant so 1/4 strength?

• AscPete
        AscPete commented
        Editing a comment
        Pdiscool ,
        For Cuttings use 1 teaspoon per gallon of water, they’re outdoor plants...

I use a nutrient solution of 1/2 teaspoon to hydrate / prewater the Potting Mix when rooting Fig Cuttings...

• Pdiscool
        Pdiscool commented
        Editing a comment
        o cheese ive been watering my baby rooted cuttings like a third of a teaspoon per gallon! I should bump it up then

You can go dilute and fertilize more often or stronger and fertilize less often but risk burn due the concentrated fertilizer (I have done this).

Fertigation is adding very dilute fertilizer to every watering. This is possibly the most "stable" way to do it. Similar in theory to the difference with watering small volumes multiple times vs one time with large volume... it is the same amount but spreading it out vs one large amount makes things more stable.
      Sam
      AKA Frankenberry/Scubasamdo
      Arroyo Grande / Central Coast of California, 10a/b, AHS 1

Comment

I've been doing 1tablespoon per gallon every 2 weeks. I think I maybe able to up it to 1.5 weeks but with my luck I'd probably burn the trees. I've been doing full soak with the fertilizing and a light watering every 2-3 days without nuts.
        Fullerton CA literal border of zones 10A/B

Comment

• Eric
          Eric commented
          Editing a comment
          Also, more may very well just simply wash through. Plant uptake rate is a significant variable in this equation as is irrigation rate.

I do a TB/gal every 1-2 wks.

ieatfigs The brand of Epsom salt doesn’t matter but you probably should avoid the ones with additives like fragrance, etc. Any pure Epsom salt should be all the same.
        CJ in Memphis 7b/8a….tight eyes, nonsplitters...Pons figs, French figs, Mario figs & tasty Cali seedlings!

Comment

AscPete the ratio of MG to water is understood. Question remains is how much mix per tree, say in a 5 gallon bucket. I tend to add about a quart per tree depending upon the current soil moisture and size of tree.
          Last edited by KDAD; 07-26-2021, 12:42 AM.
          NNJ 6B
          Wishlist: Colar d'Albatera, Mary Magdalene's and the Virgin Mary's Fig, Red Lebanese BV

Comment

• AscPete
            AscPete commented
            Editing a comment
            Saturate the soil, "water till runoff"...
            You can measure how much that takes...
        Working...
        X