X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transplanting potted figs

Hello all,
    I successfully propagated and have growing two figs from cuttings from last year,
    they are now over three feet tall. They are in pots because I'm in New Jersey.
    I want to transplant them in bigger pots. When is a good time for transplanting in NJ,
    the weather here has been pretty mild this summer between high 80's to low 60's at night.
    Thank you,
    Stephen
    NJ Zone 7A

Best time for me is in the spring when they come out of dormancy but I have up potted some from 1 gal to 5 7, and so on due to the small pots and drying out too quick in the heat. If you want to transplant them now so it will give your trees time to get established and then store them away for the winter would not be a bad idea IMHO. Good luck .
    Joe - Rhode Island Zone 7a

Comment

In my opinion you up could pot one size now. There are some old threads on the forum about rapid up potting of cuttings, say every 6-8 wks, during the growing season that you might help you. If you do up pot now I'd recommend moistening the new potting mix well then add it to the pot vs deep watering after transplanting. In addition, think about leaving the transplanted tree in a protected, shaded location for a few days to minimize the chances of transplant shock.
      Zone 6B - The Ocean State

Comment

I am in NJ and have been up potting as needed through the past weekend. As long as roots are sufficiently developed I will up pot for a few more weeks but am trying to have it done by now. I have a few air layers set that will need removing soon.
        NNJ 6B
        Wishlist: Colar d'Albatera, Mary Magdalene's and the Virgin Mary's Fig, Red Lebanese BV

Comment

Agree with everyone above, you can pretty much up pot whenever. Cultivars prone to dropping figs may do so when they sense all that fresh new soil for their roots to colonize (here’s looking at you, Pastiliere), but figs are vigorous and will appreciate the extra growing room.

You may get into trouble re-potting into the same size container, or any other time significant root pruning is in order, during hot weather - root pruning is usually advised in the winter while the plants are dormant.
          Last edited by PacNorWreck; 07-26-2021, 01:32 PM.
          Eric - Seattle / Sunset Zone 5 - W/L: Granato - Now offering fig-pops, my rooting mix, and gritty potting mix! https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Brows...er=pacnorwreck

Comment

Thanks for all your helpful advice

Comment

Up pot early enough that trees will fill the new pot with roots before dormancy, and disturb roots as little as possible during up potting.
              “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
              – Source Unknown
              MA 5b/6a

Comment

Thanks for all your helpful input,. I will probably repot soon before weather gets to hot
                Thanks again
                Stephen

Comment

To avoid transplant shock its always better to up pot before and/or after dormancy if possible. Early spring or late fall
                  Toronto, Canada USDA Zone 5. Wish List: Azores Dark, Malta Black, Sucrette, LSU Hollier and Violet Sepor. I'm always interested in trading cuttings if your in the Southern Ontario area. Thank You!

Comment

I put mine in partial shade for a couple of days after an up-potting. There are quite a few varieties that do well in-ground in NJ.
                    7B Southern NJ

Comment

• stephen.jm
                      stephen.jm commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Arachyd,
                      which fig tree variety do well in NJ zone 7A
                      Thanks
                      STephen

Just up potted a couple of trees yesterday. Here's what I did. Watered plants thoroughly the day before. Then mix my soil and dampen. This aids in water absorption. Put enough mix in the pot to establish correct height. Pull the plant to be up potted and gently tease roots if they show signs of circling the old pot. Mine did. Plant in new pot tamping soil as you go. Water thoroughly and place in the shade for a few days. My trees look great today.
                    ​​​​​
                    John, Z6a, Western CT. Just to have some fun growing stuff and maybe enjoy a few figs along the way.

Comment

Thanks again for all your help, I repotted last week followed all the instructions you all gave me and the fig is looking great.
                      Thanks again
                      Stephen

Comment

Glad to hear that it worked out for you. Enjoy
                        SW TN 7B Wish list: Boysenberry Blush, Coll de Dama Mutante, Madeira Island Black, Cravens Craving, Malibu Greek and Fico Giallo. Any fig I can grow and Happy Days

Comment

I up potted a smith from a 3 gallon to a 10 gallon late last November- the worst timing to up pot. If the roots aren’t actively growing it can leave room in the soil for water to sit and cause root rot over the winter dormancy. The good news is my smith is doing great. I think you still have plenty of active growing season left to safely up pot.
                          Travis - Cincinnati OH. Zone 6
                          wishlist- ondata, Verdolino, rosselino, lsu Scott’s black, crozes, brown sugar crunch https://youtube.com/channel/UCYp6pIa2-WlnommArTGKlpQ

Comment

I have uppotted 5 in the past 3 weeks in south east Texas with no issues(temps in mid to high 90s touching 100). I do always give them 3 days on the east side of my house so they don’t catch afternoon sun but they are all doing great.
                            Wishlist- kadota, LSU purple, ronde de Bordeaux, VdB, Willing to pay!! PM me. Beaumont Texas zone 9

Comment

Working...
                            X