X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fig Identification - Suggestions?

Hello Fig Community! I need your assistance and thoughts on this fig variety. I received the tree below from a fellow Italian years ago, and I planted it at my old house (I do not know the origin of the tree). The tree is 10 years old or so. I was told at the time it was some sort of Italian Honey fig.... and I've never had fruit from the tree. Before it fruited, we moved, and then we had renters for the last 8 years. Now I'm about to sell the house, and I am unlikely to have ripe fruit before we sell our house (I did get some cuttings). It appears to have a breba, because I found a ripe fig a month ago that had a purple to green skin color that the birds got (going off memory & I did not get a picture). Also, I found an unripe fig yesterday (see picture below) that a bird or critter got with pink to red pulp. Thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4283.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	728.8 KB
ID:	1020061 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4288.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	658.0 KB
ID:	1020060 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4285.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	445.3 KB
ID:	1020059

Cartersville, GA Zone 7b
    WL: Sant Josep, Joualle Noire, Crozes, and probably a few more...

looks more like a adriadic veriety than a italian honey fig ?? but if it turns dark on the skin when ripe kind of kills that idea ,
    Zone 10a So. Calif. W.L. Super tasty new finds !

Comment

• Drew351
      Drew351 commented
      Editing a comment
      I know! We'll see if I can get a ripe fig in the next 3-4 weeks. The tree is loaded with figs!

I hope you get to try some ripe ones. You're taking cuttings with you, right?
    Zone 10b, Long Beach CA
    Creator of The Original Wasp In Fly Out (WIFO) Bags
    Wish list: Bebera Branca

Comment

• Drew351
      Drew351 commented
      Editing a comment
      I had to trim the tree away from the house, so I did get cuttings. I ended up with 21 cuttings, which I am trying to root. We'll see how many take.

• goodfriendmike
      goodfriendmike commented
      Editing a comment
      Drew351 All it takes is one to root. So you have 21 chances. Odds are in your favor Good luck man!

You could probably harvest some airlayers in 4 wks…
    CJ in Memphis 7b/8a….tight eyes, nonsplitters...Pons figs, French figs, Mario figs & tasty Cali seedlings!

Comment

• Drew351
      Drew351 commented
      Editing a comment
      I've not tried to airlayer yet, and I am a little over 3 weeks from closing on the house. This would be a good opportunity to try, but I think time will run out on me.
Working...
X