X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Breba from Lampeira Preta

A few years ago, I figured out how to get brebas from DK-type San Pedros here in southern New England. Given that success, I bought some sticks of Lampeira Preta from Harvey. This year there have been 6 very decent looking fruits on my 3-year old tree. I went to water it today and found that one fruit had dropped into the pot. Luckily, it was undamaged. Taste was decent. More complex than DK (at least here). But somewhat mild. I'm hoping that later fruits have more zing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4034.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	621.2 KB ID:	1020081 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4035.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	294.3 KB ID:	1020080
    Joe, Z6B, RI.

I'm experiencing breba envy. I think I will try my hand at an in-ground San Pedro in the near future.
    Steve - Clarksburg, MD zone 7a

Comment

Looks really nice joe. How long did you wait to wake up this tree?
      Joe - Rhode Island Zone 7a

Comment

• jrdewhirst
        jrdewhirst commented
        Editing a comment
        It woke up on it's own in the detached garage, same as the DK-types. The question you want to ask is, "When did I take it outside?"

I followed my SOP by taking all my San Pedros outside when the forecast said that there wouldn't be a nighttime temperature below 50 F. This year that was May 12. FWIW, I think we saw actually 47-49 F or thereabouts 1-2 nights.

See last posts at https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...out-of-storage

Very nice! That sounds promising for a first fig. I hope you will keep us all posted
      Angel #1 at 2 Angels Mushrooms & Figs-Chattanooga, TN Zone 7-B
      You are invited to The Fig Frolic on Sat., Sept. 17th, AND Hang Time (for OurFigs only) INFO HERE

Comment

That looks like a really dense interior! I hope it improves. I'll be eagerly awaiting reports on the remaining figs.

I lost a year with mine messing around with a column pruning approach last year by heading back to about 4-5' then only got branching near the top. Last fall I took it down to 3' and this year is now it's scaffold forming year. Next year will be it's first shot at brebas.
        “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
        – Source Unknown
        MA 5b/6a

Comment

• TJwestPA
          TJwestPA commented
          Editing a comment
          Well Ed is one of the closest to me on here, though I don't believe he's currently growing any San Pedros, but maybe he has in the past. Hey eboone, have you ever tried growing any San Pedros?

• eboone
          eboone commented
          Editing a comment
          I tried a Desert King variant for several years, and tried to copy Joe’s advice the final season or so. My best year I got maybe 15 figs, of which half were decent. With switching to mainly inground trees, I decided to move on

• TJwestPA
          TJwestPA commented
          Editing a comment
          eboone Thanks Ed!

Thanks for the report Joe, this year I am thinking more and more about breba varieties to get early fruits. I think it’s the face book pages where people are posting their pictures daily that make the wait even longer lol . I’m very impressed with your indoor set up and the results you have achieved with grow lights.

Comment

• jrdewhirst
          jrdewhirst commented
          Editing a comment
          In my experience here (your weather is similar) it’s not worth the effort trying to get brebas from Common fig varieties. We can talk about it.

So San Pedro’s are the best option. Whether the taste is worth the work here is still TBD.

• DH
          DH commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with you, to try to get breba from common figs will likely delay main crop ( which we struggle to ripen here) for the sake of maybe getting few inferior quality brebas.
      Working...
      X