X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fico Secco

I had my first fig ripen today from my Fico Secco tree. I copied some photos below. I began my Fico Secco experience thinking that this was the same fig as Moro de Caneva & Nerino. Ross has stated on several occasions that Fico Secco is synonymous with Moro de Caneva, Nerino, and a couple of others.

However, after taking a look at the photos online of Moro de Caneva and Nerino, I'm not convinced. Clearly there are a lot of similarities; I'm just not willing to go that far. I got my Fico Secco cutting from Off the Beaten Path nursery and it looks identical to the ones that Fig Agro Lab has posted as Fico Secco so I don't doubt it is the correct variety. There are very few photos that I can find of the inside. Was there ever a side-by-side of a ripe Fico Secco and Moro de Caneva? I thought I had Moro de Caneva myself, but I can't find it right now in my fig forest, so it might have died on me a while ago. If so, I won't be able to do a side-by-side this year.

Here are the photos. I'm not going to post a video until later in the season because the taste was poor and slightly under-ripe (first fig):

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5821.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	529.2 KB
ID:	1020570 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5817 copy.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	511.3 KB
ID:	1020569 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5825.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	435.0 KB
ID:	1020571 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5827.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	462.8 KB
ID:	1020572
    FigLife: www.figlife.com
    www.youtube.com/figlifedotcom
    [email protected]

Pete do you know the history on this one? It looks pretty similar to Paulo Belloni’s fico Greco to me, but I’m not really that well versed in picking out many differences through pictures.
    Z8+ Oregon, willamette valley. WL: More land, cool citrus
    Ok fine, I made a channel but it’s not all figs: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC2vAVzLns27I5JUiwpiPMUw

Comment

• SubmarinePete
      SubmarinePete commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it comes from Paulo Bellini actually. After I posted this I found a couple of posts on the European Figs Facebook group where Vinny Figs talks about getting it from Mr Belloni. It looks like Fig Agro Lab also has it but I didn’t see them saying much about it.

• Sod
      Sod commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah cool. That makes sense. Thanks Pete!

Strange name for a fig. Doesn’t that roughly translate to “dry fig”?
    Eric - Seattle / Sunset Zone 5 - W/L: Granato - Now offering fig-pops, my rooting mix, and gritty potting mix! https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Brows...er=pacnorwreck

Comment

• SubmarinePete
      SubmarinePete commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. Yes, at least that’s what google tells me. The phrase makes web searches difficult.

• Mario
      Mario commented
      Editing a comment
      It could also translate to skinny fig , even though I think dried fig more possible

Thanks for posting this. I’ve got a baby Caneva graft and one of the leaves does look like yours. I remember the Fico Secco comparison by Ross and I imagine many will be comparing them in the near future. Would be nice if future updates are mainly put in this thread….
    CJ in Memphis 7b/8a….tight eyes, nonsplitters...Pons figs, French figs, Mario figs & tasty Cali seedlings!

Comment

just saw this post now Pete. The leaves do not look like my Moro de caneva.Too slender fingered like. Also I think i dont see that little cap at the top near the stem that Ross talked about .OR maybe your picture just didnt show that area .

Comment

• SubmarinePete
        SubmarinePete commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the perspective! The photos I posted were Fico Secco. You are right that it might not be the same as Moro de Caneva. I wish I could do a better comparison.

I have to agree with cvarcher on the leaf shape. My Moros don't have those long finger type of leaves. Your fig fruit also looks a bit large for a Moro fig...and light in color both on the skin and interior. But you said it was a first fig, so we won't judge on fig color. The leaves are not a match to what I know of as Moro di Caneva. I've attached photos taken of two of my tree pots (available for sale or trade)...as baby trees have "wonky" leaves...you can see that it is mostly three or five lobed leaves.
      Attached Files
      Pm me for the list of trees available for sale.
      Phoenix, AZ zone 9B

Comment

• TNJed
        TNJed commented
        Editing a comment
        Those are both Moro?

• SubmarinePete
        SubmarinePete commented
        Editing a comment
        TNJed The figs I grew were Fico Secco. Some people have compared Fico Secco to Moro de Caneva. I am not growing Moro de Caneva.

• TNJed
        TNJed commented
        Editing a comment
        SubmarinePete Yes I understand, see my pics below of my Moro. The 5 lobed leaf looks similar to your Fico Secco IMO. I wanted to confirm both of Nancy’s pics are of Moro bc they look a bit dissimilar to me.

cvarcher can you give us some leaf photos of your moro? I'm assuming you have it....
      Phoenix, AZ zone 9B

Comment

yes I have one.It made 2 figs and has alot of mosaic virus but growing strongly. I tried to show that little cap at the top of the fig but my camera isnt that clear at close ups.
        Attached Files

Comment

cvarcher thank you for the photos...your camera is focusing on the background not the subject matter. If you put your hand behind the fig your camera will focus on your hand and the fig will be in focus too....little trick.
          It looks like your leaves are a match to mine...that's good for both of us!! I hear this is not the most vigorous variety, and I started with skinny cuttings. Mine are growing slowly and the leaves are all over the place ... as you can see. That 5 lobed leaf may be what the adult leaves will look like...I'm just guessing. How old is your tree? mine were just started this fall....or spring...as you can tell they are still in the tree pots.
          Phoenix, AZ zone 9B

Comment

• cvarcher
            cvarcher commented
            Editing a comment
            I got a rooted cutting during last winter. It really took off for me and I had to pick the top terminal after it hit over 6ft . Its rate of growth I compared to the stake and every day it was shooting quite a few inches more. One fig formed in june and another in early July. Its also supposedly cold hardy .Have to try that camera trick next time.

Originally posted by figs and tropicals View Post
          cvarcher can you give us some leaf photos of your moro? I'm assuming you have it....
          Here’s my Moro graft…

Name:	BB8A1E60-8F7F-4FB3-908A-C74445DF01F1.jpeg
Views:	215
Size:	436.3 KB
ID:	1021699 Click image for larger version

Name:	FF4798C2-96F7-44AF-9F6F-282AE678BD84.jpeg
Views:	219
Size:	440.5 KB
ID:	1021698
          I think it looks more like Pete’s, what do you think?
          CJ in Memphis 7b/8a….tight eyes, nonsplitters...Pons figs, French figs, Mario figs & tasty Cali seedlings!

Comment

Hard to tell .That one 3 lobed leaf is very broad It might be like mine .Petes looks like my Dalmatie-really slender fingered.

Comment

I also think Pete's look like very thin finger leaves. I wonder if he also has a variety of leaf types on his tree. It's hard to tell on the young trees because they have so many different types of leaves. Many of the leaves on my young trees are mis-shapen. We will have to do this comparison in a month or so and see what new leaves come out.
              Phoenix, AZ zone 9B

Comment

The fruit is so distinctive on Moro de Caneva, with the lip at the top and protruding eye at the bottom, that it will probably be best to compare fruit. I’ll take some more pics of the Fico Secco fruit when they ripen for comparison. I’ll also post leaf photos, but I think the fruit photos will be more useful.
                FigLife: www.figlife.com
                www.youtube.com/figlifedotcom
                [email protected]

Comment

agree. I will take a picture of my fig when it ripens.

Comment

Here are some more pics of Fico Secco and a video. I don't think its the same as Moro de Caneva btw.

Video link: https://youtu.be/hogNzu-9mKw

Name:	IMG_6830.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	523.6 KB
ID:	1036725 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6831.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	1036726 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6823.JPG
Views:	128