X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Droppers 2021

What varieties have been dropping their figs for you this year?

This is a running list of the varieties that are dropping figs for me this year. By dropping I mean that the figs harden, discolor, and fall off; they do not develop and start swelling. If I don't keep track of this, I find that I will have forgotten which trees dropped their figs, as opposed to just never producing figs. I'm going to add varieties as they start dropping, instead of waiting for all the figs to drop. If the tree ends up ripening some figs later in the season after initially dropping, I will update the list and remove the variety.

Here is my list of droppers so far for 2021, others can feel free to add with their own list:

Athinon
    Dwarf Gold
    WXC-12
    WXC-17
    Honey Liquor
    Peau Fine
    Cherry Cordial
    FigLife: www.figlife.com
    www.youtube.com/figlifedotcom
    [email protected]

3N Prato
    Strawberry Teardrop
    Sangue di Drago Rosso
    Sangue di Draggo Buccia Marone
    Cinisi

Those varieties are almost certainly smyrna, I believe.

Coll de Dama diCiutat is a common fig, but it still drops 80-90% of its crop on its 3rd season. I was going to cull it, but it put out one REALLY nice fig this season, so now I want to try and give it a very large container to see if it straightens out.

Pastiliere, supposedly common and on its 2nd season, continues to drop 100% of its crop. So very frustrating this variety is.
    Zone 8A Southeast NC Coast
    Subscribe via YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheMillennialGardener
    Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/NCGardening

Comment

• Tolentino
      Tolentino commented
      Editing a comment
      TheMillennialGardener Mine was ripening 2 fruits, but did it so late in the season that low temperatures just didn't allowed it, at the end the second one wasn't edible, but the first one had a pink interior, it was very sweet and even had a nice berry flavor, it just was under ripe, but still very good. I gave up on my 184-15 and moved it to a shaded area to make room for a dragon fruit, and only then it began to do it's thing, if you gave up on yours then moving it won't be so hard

• TheMillennialGardener
      TheMillennialGardener commented
      Editing a comment
      Tolentino I am going to give it one more season. As I continue to grow more and more figs, and more and more gambles turn out to be smyrna varieties, I'm developing the realization that smyrna's don't always have 100% fruit drop, and a fruit here or there may be able to persist. I'm witnessing this odd behavior on a number of trees. I'm still trying to figure out what's going on, but it seems to me that just like some common figs can drop fruit like a smyrna type, a smyrna fig may have the odd fig persist here or there. Like I said, I'm still trying to understand this weird behavior. Climate may have some impact on the expression of the persistent gene as well, so it's entirely possible some common figs behave like smyrna's in some climates. My climate is certainly poor for fig culture, so it's possible that some less adapted common figs just don't like it here.

• Tolentino
      Tolentino commented
      Editing a comment
      TheMillennialGardener Truth is that there is not enough info on this variety, most people grow it for 1 season and give up on it. I've pruned mine heavily and it is still putting 2 brevas for me, I don't even know if it's normal for this variety to set brevas, but some trees that usually don't do it, suddenly set one or two, some varieties set brevas consistently on certain climates but not on another climates. Figs a weird, they change their behavior when they are grown in different places. I asked Harvey and he told me he had consistent production from this tree before he had the wasp on his property, and I got 2 figs ripening for me, I'm pretty sure it is a common, it just need someone who cares enough to give it a chance and try different stuff to make it work.

Celeste and Rose Gold so far. THE ONE started dropping but I changed my watering schedule for this particular tree and now it hasn't dropped any and I believe this is typical trait of celeste type figs.

Fico LUV has been a bit different in the sense that it swells a bit but not enough, colors up a lot as if its fully ripe but when I cut it open it would be totally under developed.
    Dallas,TX - Zone 8a - Follow me @thefarmingtales on Insta.
    WL - Angelito, El Sueno Yellow, Yellow Absheron, Fico Giallo, Tia Penya, Campaniere, Moro de Caneva, Cessac, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

• Halligan-
      Halligan- commented
      Editing a comment
      I‘ve been watering mine daily all summer, it sucks!!

You are a magician to get away with a 3 day spread

• swethakyadav
      swethakyadav commented
      Editing a comment
      Halligan- probably lazy than magician. I am now switching to alternate day watering especially for 3-5 gallons.

• Achilles
      Achilles commented
      Editing a comment
      Figs are water hardy after 5 years or so and really don't need to be watered after 8-10. Before that, they need tons of water (obviously dependent on location). Anyone watering 10+ potted figs a day is a masochist.

Great thread idea for everyone to reference, thanks.
    CJ in Memphis 7b/8a….tight eyes, nonsplitters...Pons figs, French figs, Mario figs & tasty Cali seedlings!

Comment

• Netstars
      Netstars commented
      Editing a comment
      Completely agree TNJed - thanks Pete!

One of my discoveries is dropping again and it’s right next to UNK Pastilliere. There are fig wasps on it too. You can see them tangled in little webs. Strange

Comment

Dwarf gold dropped everything
      pastiliere
      grantham’s Royal dropped its breba
      takoma violet has dropped a few
      negra D’Agde
      MDDS has dropped some
      damigella con ramo
      oro rosato started now (not unexpected)
      Last edited by Sod; 08-02-2021, 04:25 PM.
      Z8+ Oregon, willamette valley. WL: More land, bigger studio, truth in marketing.

Ok fine, I made a channel but it’s not all figs.

Comment

Would like to here more details about your Cherry Cordial ?? where did you get it ,how old is it ,how big ,what size pot /in ground,graft or cutting or al ,how many figs where on it before they started to drop ?how many left now ? do you have any other palmata type figs if so how do they do in your climate ?IT RIPPENS FIGS IN FLORIDA ,SO ITS PROVEN COMMON ,but they did not look nearly as rich as the ones from calif. . i have Cherry Cordial growing all around here in ground ,grafted to large trees,grafted to small trees,in pots from 15 gal to 1gall and 10 gallon air layers ,lots of fruit from penut size to walnut size ,have not droped a ONE ! only LIGHT CAPRIFICATION FOR THIS CROP MOST UN CAPRIFIED . so VERY INTERESTED IN YOUR SITUATION ???????? t AND any other out of calif. feed back on CHERRY CORDIAL ????
        Zone 10a So. Calif. W.L. Super tasty new finds !

Comment

• SubmarinePete
          SubmarinePete commented
          Editing a comment
          It sounds like you are really invested in cherry cordial! It looks good in CA that’s for sure. I haven’t had much luck with it so far but there’s still some season left. I got cuttings from Eric in Nov. My tree is in a 5 gal pot, It is large (6-7 ft) and has a lot of fruit, but the fruit have been yellowing and dropping so far. I have many figs left on the tree. They are gradually dropping. I have no other palmatas.

• Fig Gazer
          Fig Gazer commented
          Editing a comment
          SubmarinePete Thanks for the information ,I try to give varieties space based on how they taste ,and if others want some . that being said i have lots of Cherry Cordial but still only represents 2%+- of all my fig trees . I realy do not know why ,but usualy remove weak ,off color or under sized figs with the hope that remaining healthy figs will due better ???

So far, only the Panache has drop some of the figs. No moving worms noted. The rest is hanging on. Tasted one each of Osborn, YLN and Panache that have ripened. All brebas.
        Zone 10, Los Alamitos, Southern California

Comment

• Laeotis
          Laeotis commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn’t know that Panache could hold brebas

• blackear
          blackear commented
          Editing a comment
          I am guessing because the fruits look like they came from old growth.

Pastiliere baud in pot -20 gallon pot 5” caliper and 5 years old. (holding on my in ground)
        golden rainbow newer figs (maybe dried it out while I was on vacation and trusting others to water for me)
        in general it’s been pretty good but not really trying for the seedling types.
        Soccer playing, whiskey drinking, cigar smoking, dark fig eating woman
        married to my best friend, the same uber tolerant man, for 29 years
        Zone 7a

Comment

• jrdewhirst
          jrdewhirst commented
          Editing a comment
          venturabananas. Mark -- Thanks for the review. Very helpful.

ginamcd. Gina -- I forget whether you got Pastilliere from me. FYI mine is from the latter Belloni group and is holding fruit well this year in a large pot.

• blaze
          blaze commented
          Editing a comment
          I am very frustrated by this variety. I have never ripened a fruit both in ground and in a 20g pot. Not one. Many many crops have grown to half size and dropped. Every single one.

• venturabananas
          venturabananas commented
          Editing a comment
          blaze -- get the Paolo Belloni version and I think you will start getting ripe fruit.

S.P.: Panache and UNK Pastilliere. The UNK Past. is expected. This is too bad because it is puts out a lot of figs.

I did not know it was Smyrna when bought and would be surprised if the fig wasp found its way to Kansas. (Like Mill. Gard. described. Goes pink, spongey, wrinkles, and falls off.)

Also the panache, but it only had 3 or 4 figs on it this year. Since it's late season I may not hang on to it, but need to get one year with fruit to determine.
        Zone 6B Shawnee Mission KS

Comment

• ginamcd
          ginamcd commented
          Editing a comment
          Panache is common and will ripen a main crop without pollination, but ripens very late based on reports from many who grow it.

• MASS FIGS
          MASS FIGS commented
          Editing a comment
          Panache was also on trial for me…I ate a panache a few weeks ago off of 1st year tree. Taste and consistency of strawberry jam with roses mixed in. I will be keeping both trees. I have a high tunnel so season length is slightly less of a problem, and it is worth it to start it early/finish late

Thermalito

First year fruiting in a 5 gallon. It's holding on to some and looking to ripen those, but dropped about half so far.
        // Los Angeles (10b) //
        // Wish List - A real yard with space to grow //

Comment

• venturabananas
          venturabananas commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting. My Thermalito has never dropped, with or without wasp visitations.

• Fig-Doctor
          Fig-Doctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, Thermalito is an excellent fig in here. They don’t drop a single fig and did not split even one in rains so far! Best green fig this year!

• Achilles
          Achilles commented
          Editing a comment
          Dropped everything for me in year one. I think this is very common for this variety.

Cull d'asse
        D'en Anabella
        Casitas Pass - Dropping, but very late. Almost ripening. Hoping a few stay on.
        Unk Yorba Linda - 2nd year AL, mother tree not dropping
        My best find - Now worried it's not common although I have brought in lots of wasps
        Jaime - Orange County, CA 10a (coastal) Wishlist: Thermalito, Cosme Manyo, Beltrana, Del Sen Jaume Gran

Comment

For me Iride / Iris appears to be Smyrna. Eboone sent me a Pastilliere. He emailed this spring to see how mine was doing. His has dropped all figs so far. Mine ripened all of its figs last year and the figs look great so far this year. Hey you got me? Excellent fig too!
          panache for sure is common. I have ripened fruit the last 4 years. Seems to ripen earlier every year.

Comment

I have noticed plants drop fruit from a lack\not enough water, possibly for the variety.

Most varieties will start to wilt with the heat stress being a bit low on water. The others I noticed don't wilt the leaves but shrivel the fruits first. Once this happens the fruit doesn't seem to recover.

Thanks for the post. Wonderful and very helpful reference.

Comment

• Tom
              Tom commented
              Editing a comment
              I am noticing similar, I have been watching my leaves for watering and everything looks good....past few days starting to see some of the fruit shrivel. Some of the trees are also holding a lot of fruit and wondering if it just to much for a potted tree....some figs shriveling while others on the same tree still look good. Timely topic.

• TJwestPA
              TJwestPA commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, I've been noticing the same thing. With certain varieties the figs will start soften if they go too long without enough water, long before any leaf wilting. After watering, the figs are hard again. I've been using that as an indicator on when to water.

Marco noir dropped its fruits for the last 4 years
            NJ Z 7A

Comment

• venturabananas
              venturabananas commented
              Editing a comment
              Mine never held fruits until I brought in profichi to have the wasps do their magic. I think it is a smyrna.

• barshomi
              barshomi commented
              Editing a comment
              That is what I thought. Thank you

• blaze
              blaze commented
              Editing a comment
              agree culled mine last year

Gina, Thank you! I have seen that the Panache is rather late and that was the concern. UNK Past. is a bit odd and some of the them reportedly produce with out the wasp. (Brian M? Harvey mentioned on his site.) I will hang on to it and hope that it will adjust to the absence of a pollinator. Have you posted a picture of fig trees lately? (You had trimmed the leader back and were working on the lateral branches for year three)
            Zone 6B Shawnee Mission KS

Comment

• ginamcd
              ginamcd commented
              Editing a comment
              I usually do an update to my pruning thread at dormancy when the leaves have dropped and the trees are naked. The three and four year olds are happily growing fruit on their fruiting branches off the main scaffolds. The two year olds are forming their scaffolds and most are also setting respectable number of figs. And the first year whips got off to a slow start this year, but I expect will put on several feet of growth before winter.

When you all start culling let me know if I can get cuttings and what shipping cost may be. Got a goal to meet
            Louisiana Zone 8/9. W/L Whatever fig I don't have.

Comment

• goodfriendmike
              goodfriendmike commented
              Editing a comment
              jessup42 1000 types plus some bad arse sours from a forum member Whats your goal my friend?

• jessup42
              jessup42 commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol there it is! 1000 1k aka too many for me !!! 300 makes me queasy already haha. Gotta clear some out. Luckily this site is full of enablers goodfriendmike

• goodfriendmike
              goodfriendmike commented
              Editing a comment
              jessup42 the only problem I have found. Is it is diffucult to collect worth while cuttings. The greeks not rare and need the wasp. Israel/pakistan hard to get and most need the wasp. goal has not changed hurricane put a damper on the situation. Well gotta get back to burning debris. Have one for me!

Panache here. I removed the breba to save energy for the tree and the second formed fruit dropped after they were 50 cent size.
            Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7b

Care for the Earth...there's no place like home

Comment

• drew51
              drew51 commented
              Editing a comment
              I was thinking the same thing. Panache will shed fruit if not watered enough though.

• Otis
              Otis commented
              Editing a comment
              They looked nice while they lasted. They're already putting out new figlets that will probably not have time to ripen, but there's always next
              year. We get more than 55 " of 🌧️, so that's not the prob.

• ZomVee
              ZomVee commented
              Editing a comment
              My panachée drops all the time too. I don't think it likes the ground its in.

I looked again to be sure they are known common. I got an unknown Black Italian earlier this month, great producer, but now are wrinkled.

Messed up, not enough water confirmation.

Comment

Bourjasotte Gris
              Luv (but holding onto most so far)
              MDDS (also holding on to most)

My Pastiliere has a large crop and is holding onto all of them. FWIW Bourjosotte Gris is grafted onto MBvs and just hasn't looked very healthy this year. Violet Sepor is thought to be highly related to Bourjasotte Gris - I have it on its own roots and it is holding onto its figs. It is also a very healthy tree - thanks to a generous forum member.
              Steve
              D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
              WL: Castillon

Comment

• blaze
                blaze commented
                Editing a comment
                I think you asked me if my in ground baud pastiliere was holding. Whelp they all dropped

• Rewton
                Rewton commented
                Editing a comment
                blaze sorry to hear that. If you ever want to try the PB version I can send cuttings this Fall.

• Rewton
                Rewton commented
                Editing a comment
                Update on Luv is that it only ended up dropping a couple figs and has ripened (relatively early for an in-ground tree) all the others. It is finally mature enough to hold them.

TheMillennialGardener My Sangue di Draggo Buccia Marone. The fig is over quarter size. Click image for larger version

Name:	marrone.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	581.5 KB
ID:	1022528
              Louisiana Zone 8/9. W/L Whatever fig I don't have.

Comment

• goodfriendmike
                goodfriendmike commented
                Editing a comment
                Well she dropped. More than likely a Smyrna.

• TheMillennialGardener
                TheMillennialGardener commented
                Editing a comment
                goodfriendmike that is roughly the exact size where my figs begin to turn yellow and squishy, like a sponge, then fall off. I am virtually 100% certain it is smyrna.

My CCN has dropped all but one. Hopefully it holds.
              Wish list. White Baca, 5 Terre A UNK, Kafe Te Jiate, Crozes, Angelito, TD Yellow Crinkle, Brown Sugar Crunch, Fig Jaune/Jaune d`Escoussans

Comment

• SubmarinePete
                SubmarinePete commented
                Editing a comment
                TheMillennialGardener I got ripe figs off CCN last year

• Bren55
                Bren55 commented
                Editing a comment
                Dtownfigs I have had ripe figs off CCN the 2 previous yrs., this yr we had 8+" of rain in 6 days a wk ago CCN dropped most of its figs (it was loaded) and some leaves. It reacted to the excess water much worse than any other variety.

• Sod
                Sod commented
                Editing a comment
                Bren55 that’s great info. I’ll make sure and put mine away this winter so it doesn’t get saturated.

Can't really see where any of my trees have dropped any fruit...all in grounders and very well watered. Maybe I just missed it??
              Eugene OR 8b

Comment

My list of droppers are
                WXC #12
                WXC#10
                WXC#17
                I have some that have dropped some of their figs from excess rain but they are proven to ripen for me. These 3 have turned then dropped before fully forming.
                Brenda East Tn. Zone 6B

Comment

• Netstars
                  Netstars commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Are any WXC varieties holding figs?

• Bren55
                  Bren55 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So far WXC 15, 16, 18 & 14 are holding of the ones I have. All those were later putting out figlets though, so only time will tell. It's a shame 17 has dropped it put out a fig at ever node & grows well.

My RGR dropped its figs and is now producing more figs.
                Piney Point Village, Zone 8b
                W/L- Allix, Cateto

Comment

Working...
                X