X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give the Unknown's some love!

This is an unknown called Domenico Black. A big thanks to the gifter and my fig buddy luzzu for the air layer. This is a new variety for me and the breba is top notch. A respectable weight of 64g and a delicious refreshing taste with wine undertones. I am sure the main crop will be even better but not sure I will taste any this year.

To all new growers, don't over look some of the unknowns because of the unknown tag because many will knock your socks off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210728_172122.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	553.8 KB
ID:	1021372

Name:	20210728_171901.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	1021373

Name:	20210728_172601.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	495.7 KB
ID:	1021374

Tony, Toronto Canada USDA 4B now 5B apparently!!
    Wishlist:
    Yellow Neches, St Martain, Texas Peach.

That's a beautiful fig. I love the dark burgundy skin. And I agree some of my favorite figs are UNK.
    Z7b Kent Island Md.
    Wish list, Figoin, and Crozes.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...6qZktUx_4/edit

Comment

• tinyfish
      tinyfish commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed!

You never will know unless you try. Nice looking fig. Have not heard of that one yet. Keep everyone updated when you get some main crop figs.
    Louisiana Zone 8/9. W/L Whatever fig I don't have.

Comment

• tinyfish
      tinyfish commented
      Editing a comment
      With unknowns the same variety could have many names.

• goodfriendmike
      goodfriendmike commented
      Editing a comment
      tinyfish even the well knowns get many names. Thats why I try to get my unknowns from Cali (possible seedlings) and my Knowns from trusted people.

Wow! Looks nice. TTY in November.
    NNJ 6B
    Wishlist: Colar d'Albatera, Mary Magdalene's and the Virgin Mary's Fig, Red Lebanese BV

Comment

Nice post. That’s a beautiful unknown. Mt. Etna type?

Comment

• tinyfish
        tinyfish commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you

Looks great! Tree is possibly in the Palermo Red/Sal Corleone family. I have one from that family grown from a cutting off my dad's tree. He simply calls it "the black fig," and it usually ripens s nice crop of large breba, but mains are often too late to ripen.
      “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
      – Source Unknown
      MA 5b/6a

Comment

• tinyfish
        tinyfish commented
        Editing a comment
        I was hoping the main crop would work in my location.

• ginamcd
        ginamcd commented
        Editing a comment
        I pruned for main crop and gave mine a heady start this year in the hopes of getting a some to ripen. The tree set about 30 figs and unless we have a cold fall, I'm hopeful I will finally get to taste a main crop fruit. While the brebas are good, my father told me the main are "something special."

• tinyfish
        tinyfish commented
        Editing a comment
        I hope it ripens and I look forward to your review.

Me likey! lol
      Kevin, N. Ga 7b Cheers!

Wishing all of you a bountiful harvest!

Comment

Looks fantastic Tony….hope you get to taste some main. I’ve added 2-3 Unk this season. Really looking forward to JFE BM Not.

One of my faves last year (not much competition tho) was my Kaye St Unk…

Name:	8BBCA4C5-DB2D-45CD-BBBA-5428AA78226B.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	683.7 KB
ID:	1021474
        CJ in Memphis 7b/8a….tight eyes, nonsplitters...Pons figs, French figs, Mario figs & tasty Cali seedlings!

Comment

• tinyfish
          tinyfish commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks fantastic!

It could be called La Vanga Nera due to its unique shape.
        NNJ 6B
        Wishlist: Colar d'Albatera, Mary Magdalene's and the Virgin Mary's Fig, Red Lebanese BV

Comment

That's a really nice looking fig, inside and out!

Here's a couple pics of one of my Unk Sicilian Dark figs from last year, a find from Bill Lauris. Of the dozen different varieties I got to taste from my trees last year, that one had the best tasting fig. It had a really fresh tasting strawberry jam flavor. It was way better than both of the other Etnas I tasted (Hardy Chicago and MBVS), though it was the first year fruiting for all of them and I expect it to have better competition this year.

Name:	PIC_0700.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	1021510

Name:	PIC_0703.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	448.9 KB
ID:	1021511
          Tony - west PA, zone 6a/5b

Comment

• tinyfish
            tinyfish commented
            Editing a comment
            Perfectly ripened fig.

Wine flavored...I think you may be getting a few requests for that one
          Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7b

Care for the Earth...there's no place like home

Comment

• tinyfish
            tinyfish commented
            Editing a comment
            Better start pumping the tree with extra nitrogen lol

Unk Lebanese Blonde

Name:	C8A16901-73D2-475B-90B2-79379B27F5EB.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	516.5 KB
ID:	1021635

Name:	EA1C9A19-1026-47B1-BC1E-B673FE962069.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	319.6 KB
ID:	1021636
          Napa, CA 9B

Comment

• tinyfish
            tinyfish commented
            Editing a comment
            Another nice one!

• fig Lebowski
            fig Lebowski commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s a real nice looking one.. it probably won’t look or taste as good for me here in the land of no wasps lol.

• aaron
            aaron commented
            Editing a comment
            fig Lebowski you might be right about that. There’s a lot I still don’t know about this one. But a fig like this sure makes me hopeful!

aaron How does that one taste, Unk Leb Blonde?
          Zone 10a - NC San Diego. WL: Vernino, HdA,Tia Penya, Burgan unk, CDDN,"itos" x3, De Tres Esplets https://sandiegofruitfarm.com/
          youtube.com/Rooted1

Comment

• aaron
            aaron commented
            Editing a comment
            The one in the picture tasted great! A rich and very satisfying honey type fig. Not simply sweet. The problem is, the rest of the harvest hasn’t been as good as the first ripe fig the last 2 years. I got a fairly mature tree 3 years ago. It was probably root bound and a bit neglected and I didn’t improve its condition much until this year. My hope is, that with better care, the whole crop will achieve (or surpass!) the excellence of each seasons first fig. If that happens, it will be one of my favorites.

Lovely and plump. 🤤
          With all my plants figs included, the unknown or unlabeled, in other circles they are referred to as NOID's, I enjoy the anticipation of what will it be? Over the years have gotten some spectacular plants that would have been destroyed from people's collection because the tag was lost.
          I feel the same way about figs, I have varieties that are identifed but I am most curious about the few that were gifted to me with only a story to identify the origin.
          Almaguin Highlands, Canada. Zone 4a/3b. WL: Ronde de Bordeaux, Florea, Hollier, Dauphine, Gisotta nero, Verdolino, Malta Black, Violet Sepor .Any early finishers would help, just starting out, not picky. Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication~Da Vinci

Comment

• tinyfish
            tinyfish commented
            Editing a comment
            So true. So of the best figs are the ones that come with a story or history to them.

I agree.. you just have to be careful is all.. so many UNK’s are just Mt. Etna’s.. and the only advantage to them is picking something up that has “normalized” to your specific area or zone.

Comment

• tinyfish
            tinyfish commented
            Editing a comment
            Many different names for the similar varieties agreed.

That Domenico Black looks great. I'll have to make a note and see if any cuttings come up this winter.
          Zone 7B/8A Wake Forest, NC. Wish list - 1. To stop murdering fig cuttings. 2. To find the biggest, juiciest, cold hardiest, most delicious common fig in the world! (and not murder it)

Comment

Working...
          X