X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• METEORITO & LUV

Well, I picked Meteorito and Luv this morning. Both had tight eyes. LUV was wonderful tasting! Meteorito had a sorta bitter taste, but it was very ripe and looked like BlueMalibu’s photos. I don’t have wasp, but don’t think it would have progressed this far if it needed them. One fig left on tree but small and don’t think it will stay on. My Meteorito is not in the ground. Hopefully other people outside the wasp zones will have some this year to compare. I got my Meteorito from CajunB but don’t know where he got it or if his has produced figs.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
    Hilliard Lawler, DVM, Indianola, Mississippi Zone 8A
    My website: https//bloomsonthebayou.com
    wish list: Nerucciolo d'Elba

That’s very interesting!
    Glad to see you were able to ripen Meteorito👍🏻

Round Rock, TX 8b
    WL: Delicious figs

Comment

Well it’s very exciting that both of these ripened in MS. They look great, that’s for sure. Would you put Luv toward the top end for dark fig flavor?
      CJ in Memphis 7b/8a….tight eyes, nonsplitters...Pons figs, French figs, Mario figs & tasty Cali seedlings!

Comment

• Achilles
        Achilles commented
        Editing a comment
        great question TNJed. LUV has fallen out of favor for many but there are still fig lovers that go crazy over it. I am also interested to know where drbud places it.

• drbud
        drbud commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought the fig was as good Smith which,so far, is my favorite. I was ready to graft the tree over to something else if it didn’t do anything this year, but surprisingly, it’s not late, is beautiful, and delicious. I’ve got more to come so I’ll update my thoughts.

• Achilles
        Achilles commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting comparison to Smith. I find it a rich berry flavor as well. Aggressive grower for me and I believe it will mature well with age.

Good news about Meteorito
      Tony, Toronto Canada USDA 4B now 5B apparently!!
      Wishlist:
      Yellow Neches, St Martain, Texas Peach.

Comment

I have probably had 5 figs so far from my LUV tree - they all look like this from outside but its half ripened inside. It is a 2nd year tree and I guess I might have to wait for another year for it ti ripen one properly.

Is Meteorito supposed to ripen without the wasp
        Dallas,TX - Zone 8a - Follow me @thefarmingtales on Insta.
        WL - Angelito, El Sueno Yellow, Yellow Absheron, Fico Giallo, Tia Penya, Campaniere, Moro de Caneva, Cessac, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

My LUV was very unimpressive the last two years and figs were like you describe & pithy. Maybe it’s just a 3 year bloomer! I was thinking maybe Meteorito needed the wasp, but this one was like any common fig

Comment

• CajunB
            CajunB commented
            Editing a comment
            Hilliard,I ate one Meteorito fig off my tree yesterday,nothing to brag about,but many other figs fell off.......maybe next year will be better.

drbud good to see meteorito fruiting without the wasp. Cajun B got his cutting directly from Doug....it is authentic. Thanks for sharing again! You are on a roll for nice figs this year!
          Pm me for the list of trees available for sale.
          Phoenix, AZ zone 9B

Comment

Good news on Meteorito! Thank you for sharing you photos.
            Angel #1 at 2 Angels Mushrooms & Figs-Chattanooga, TN Zone 7-B
            You are invited to The Fig Frolic on Sat., Sept. 17th, AND Hang Time (for OurFigs only) INFO HERE

Comment

My in-ground Luv tree was planted Spring 2018 and has only ripened maybe 2-3 figs and they were average at best. So far it has always set a decent crop but nearly all of the figs drop before ripening. This year it has the largest crop ever and a few are dropping. However, enough are still holding on that I think this year may be different. drbud thanks for the report - gives me hope.
              Steve
              D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
              WL: Castillon

Comment

drbud is your Luv tree on its own roots?
                Steve
                D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
                WL: Castillon

Comment

• drbud
                  drbud commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It is and in the ground like yours. You will really like it!

The Luv takes three years for the figs to get good. Then they are better than good.

Like LSU Purple, after five years they really are actually great. I see many people giving up too early on the Luv. I can understand from not knowing. The first year, or two, you do ask yourself "why am I keeping this fig?"

Patience Grasshopper.

Comment

• drbud
                  drbud commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A lot better! I am really looking forward to the 20-25 on the tree that will ripen over the next few weeks. Should have another to eat Sunday. And those LSU figs were very ripe and very great, also.

drbud - Another member just gave me a heads up on this post. I've been nursing Metorito for a while. I didn't have much hope for it as common but this is encouraging.

May I ask

How old is the tree?

Would you mind showing us some pictures of the tree itself?

Thanks for this thread.
                Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	6F478D63-D943-45C1-95B5-34AC2FBA476D.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	545.3 KB
ID:	1022966 Click image for larger version  Name:	A0340F13-5FA0-4C3E-9455-8133C21F01C9.jpeg Views:	47 Size:	710.6 KB ID:	1022705 TorontoJoe,
                  I got it as a good rooted cutting from CajunB last summer in a gal pot. Up potted it to a 7 gallon grow bag in April. Would have planted it in the ground but didn’t want to waste space, if it wasn’t going to produce figs in Mississippi. This is a photo March 30 before I up potted. I’ll take a new photo of it tomorrow.
                  I thought had up potted it , but I haven’t! So not looking so great in this heat. I’m going to get it in a 7 gal container tomorrow and see if it kicks in. It’s a wonder I even got 1 fig!
                  Last edited by drbud; 07-31-2021, 05:07 PM.

Comment

drbud - Thanks for this. Mine is about the same age. It grew a bit and produced figs that dropped last season... but the tree was small. This year it's grown like a champ. This is certainly encouraging news.... after all... it's an ITO
                    Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Comment

The additional finds from California, coming from wonderful people, are a great addition to the community.

But, imo, it should be noted if the luscious picture shown, is a caprified fig when selling plants or cuttings.

The rest of us don't get the benefits of caprification, but we don't have protein in our figs either,.

Comment

Working...
                      X