X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiting 'til the last minute

My 1st-year Smith decided to start popping out figlets. According to jrdewhirst 2020 Ripening Record, they should take 82 days to ripen, which puts me very close to October 15th.

Here's to a late first frost!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Smith 1st year 001.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	404.7 KB ID:	1023286 Click image for larger version  Name:	Smith 1st year 02.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	532.7 KB ID:	1023287
    Salvatore - my students call me SC
    Zone 6a, SW Cleveland

Mine has just been setting figs the last couple weeks also. Fig shuffle will be in full effect for this one and my hda that also has late formed figlets
    Travis - Cincinnati OH. Zone 6
    wishlist- ondata, Verdolino, rosselino, https://youtube.com/channel/UCYp6pIa2-WlnommArTGKlpQ

Comment

My Smith started figs about a month ago. It really has exploded with growth this year. I am holding hope that I'll get to try a couple before first frost.

Comment

schampag My Smith is first year also, but no figlets 😞

its growing like crazy, so that’s ok. I’m pretty sure at this point that is will be next year for me.

Those pots look great! Did you buy them like that or did you paint them the lighter color?

Randy
        Northeastern TN. Zone 6b/7a. WL: Rigato de Salento, Thermalito, BNR

Comment

• schampag
          schampag commented
          Editing a comment
          RandyK They were all black nursery pots that I spray-painted using Rust-oleum Paint+Primer

• RandyK
          RandyK commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. They turned out great!

My Smiths are 3 or 4 years old in pots and s till no figs. Up here in NY 7a figlets formed in July USUALLY wont make it to ripeness. However last year a CDD Roja made filgets in July and they ripened in November here!! It was cooler but no frost . I guess theres always hope!!

Comment

Mine took about 95 to 100 days but best of luck.
          Zone 5 Barrie, on

Comment

schampag RandyK Ohio Joe Smith may take a few years but if they're true to type, you'll get a ton of fruit. I have 3 trees from 2 different sources. 2 out of 3 were airlayers while the third was an established plant in a 2 gallon pot (if I recall) that the seller pruned heavy for cuttings. The more established plant fruited heavily by the third year and the other two did the same in year 4 which is this season. I have no doubt if your plants are true to type you'll be rewarded for your patience.
            Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania / Zone 6b

Comment

I think mine is trying to put out a couple....just large bumps right now....I will take them off though.

The only tree that isn't fruiting is my Martinenca Rimada, both first year trees.
              Kevin, N. Ga 7b Cheers!

Wishing all of you a bountiful harvest!

Comment

• Netstars
                Netstars commented
                Editing a comment
                This does not surprise me Kevin. You live in a climate where it is possible to ripen many figs in year one. Most of my trees fruit in year two. Smith and CLBC waited until year three to fruit.

• Ktrain
                Ktrain commented
                Editing a comment
                Yea this is my first experience with Smith, from what I understand it will do good in ground here in the hot humid south.
                One's I may have to get rid of to make room for more suited trees are the Martinenca Rimada and maybe the BMKK....I think I have enough season for everything else I have.
                I'm going to see if my BMKK will work, it has about 7 or 8 large marble size figs on it, the jury is still out.

My two Smith trees got a little bit of a head start in the cattle panel greenhouse and started setting figs in the third week of June, which is about the time all my other mature trees started setting.

They both dropped a lot of pea-sized figs earlier this month. I'm thinking it was due to lack of sufficient water during the heatwave we had as I did not have the irrigation system installed yet. The figs they set prior to and after the heatwave are still holding. Lesson learned...

I'm thinking this is one variety that I'll continue jump starting in the greenhouse as the payoff will be a larger number of really good figs ripening well before the colder weather arrives. While the later varieties will benefit from an early start, I doubt they would ever ripen anywhere near the number of Smiths jump started at the same time. And for me, a couple of platefuls of Smith is much better than a handful of Preto.
              Last edited by ginamcd; 08-01-2021, 10:01 AM.
              “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
              – Source Unknown
              MA 5b/6a

Comment

My theory with Smith is that it does not easily set fruit with cooler evenings.
                My tree has set two figs this year. These are the first I will get from a tree in its third leaf!
                We have had hot days with our typical evening temperatures in the fifties. We occasionally see lows in the sixties when daytime temps reach near 100 degrees.
                Smith seems to thrive in the southeast part of the US and other similar climates.
                https://youtube.com/channel/UCHHopi_E99OBvafBPEcF_pg
                Zone 8B - Cottage Grove, Or
                Wish List - Crema di Wheat

Comment

• cvarcher
                  cvarcher commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Chris, our evening temps here on Long Island are warm like upper 60s to low 70s along with fairly hot daytime temps. My 2 Smiths 3-4 years old still havent bumped a figlet. My thinking on all this as to why a lowly cutting will set a few figs to 4 year old large trees with no figs is---they are genetically programmed to fruit when they are ready. Not by pinching, feeding ,watering temperatures or sun. All these things may help on some varieties making you think this is why but by deduction this is what I see with my trees. Perhaps the Great Spirit that is in all things will bless you with Smiths ---next year.
                  Last edited by cvarcher; 08-01-2021, 03:28 PM.

• acerpictum
                  acerpictum commented
                  Editing a comment
                  cvarcher Cytokinin paste stimulates generative kidneys. I removed the leaves from a branch that I rooted in the air and applied a little paste in two places about ten days ago. Three days later, leaf and inflorescence began to grow in these nodes. I cannot recommend the "method" because need to know exactly how such syconiums go through all stages of development and what the taste of the fruit will be. So far, can say that it is possible to form a crown the figs. If necessary, I can take a photo.

I've had 6 Smith fruit this year between my in ground and potted plants. I had a few last year, ( on 1st year plants), that were nothing special at all taste wise. But I now Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210801_103033021_HDR.jpg Views:	0 Size:	313.3 KB ID:	1023331 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210731_102645568.jpg Views:	0 Size:	242.7 KB ID:	1023332 see what all the great press is about after the 6 now, they just keep getting better. Honey glazed, tropical fruit flavors with a nice crunch and sweet chewy skin. These took about 90+ days to fully ripen. So worth the wait.
                Last edited by Otis; 08-01-2021, 09:56 AM. Reason: Sp
                Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7b

Care for the Earth...there's no place like home

Comment

• Newbie2figs
                  Newbie2figs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I still haven’t tasted this fig , Glad to you got to taste the famous Smith my friend , Did you have to divide the fig with the family 😀

• Otis
                  Otis commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Always, well mostly ☺️. My wife puts up with fig trees everywhere, she deserves half of all tastes.

schampag -- I did observe ripening after 82 warm, summer days here. Smith ripened in early September. But progress requires warm days. I don't think you'll manage to ripen any of those newly forming figs in Cleveland this year. Maybe you'll get very lucky.
                Joe, Z6B, RI.

Comment

• schampag
                  schampag commented
                  Editing a comment
                  😭😭😭

• Otis
                  Otis commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I really hope Smith ripens a litte quicker as it matures. No doubt it loves heat and humidity.

Don’t give up on Smith. It’ll be setting fruit on every node soon enough.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FD26969F-897E-4614-8CE1-F6D44438150E.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	1023797
                Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Verdolino, Black Celeste

Comment

Smith has been slow to fruit for me as well. My Smith is in its 3rd leaf. It set a few main crop late last year, and this year it set many beginning around May 30th. We had a heatwave and it dropped about half, due to inconsistent water. I'm hoping those remaining figlets ripen this year!
                  Angel #1 at 2 Angels Mushrooms & Figs-Chattanooga, TN Zone 7-B
                  You are invited to The Fig Frolic on Sat., Sept. 17th, AND Hang Time (for OurFigs only) INFO HERE

Comment

• Otis
                    Otis commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My in ground tree is set fairly close to the attached garage and only recieves full sun until about 3:30p. For the first few years I'm more concerned with overwintering than fruit production. Got about 18 fruit on the 5 ft tree. More are forming now, but probably won't be as good if they do ripen. Good luck with yours.

Here's my first year Smith. THANK YOU, @BlueEagle1967
                  The other smith trees from Big Bill have not fruited yet. But they are looking very good and easy to root. Of all my first year trees ( I added 50+ varieties this year), only some smith trees failed to fruit for me. I got the Gambino late, it showing one figlet now. So, Smith is the only one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210802_101910.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	469.8 KB
ID:	1024099

Cleveland South - Zone 5B.

Comment

• jake44141
                    jake44141 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    BlueEagle1967, the RLBV from you will produce almost 40 figs by the end of the season. And the Black Greek will produce about 25 figs this year. It should have produced many more figs, but I naively pinched it in early June thinking that it would have time to produce more branches and produce more figs. The cuttings you sent me are by far the best cuttings I have ever had. You didn't put some steroids in them, did you?

• BlueEagle1967
                    BlueEagle1967 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    jake44141 LOL!! No steroids but it was the first year where I pruned pretty heavily so the wood was very healthy and lignified. I thought my pruning was too extreme but I took the advice of other members and bit the bullet. The results were very pronounced and the heavy pruning adds vigor and health to the trees, IMO.

RLBV and Black Greek are really under-rated, IMO. We talk about the boutique figs but in colder zones, those two varieties, as well as Kessariani, have done really well for me and allows me to be patient with other varieties that may not fruit and ripen as quickly. I'm kicking myself for not making more duplicates of RLBV, Black Greek and Kessariani. They also ripened fruit for me in their first year so it's good to see those varieties are consistent and early producers. I'm glad you were able to root the cuttings and ripen some figs. It's what makes this forum great and enjoyable.

• jake44141
                    jake44141 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    BlueEagle1967, I am training the Black Greek to produce lots of cuttings. Next year, there will be lots of tiny trees load with figs to hand out to people. Of all the Black Greek, RLBV, and Kessariani cuttings, I only kept one of each and forwarded the rest to forum members.
                Working...
                X