X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese beetles?

Does anyone have a problem with these beetles on large in ground trees? They cluster around figs and eat them, if you shake the branch the fall and fly everywhere including your face.

they usually are attracted to rotting figs, then they start eating the good figs, they haven't bothered my potted trees because I pick fruit before they spoil. I can only eat figs off these large trees for a few weeks before there's so many beetles that picking figs isn't worth it.

Any idea how to control them?
    Attached Files
    NC Sandhills zone 8A. Wishlist- BNR, CDDG, and split resistant figs.

Pyrethrin-based insecticides work pretty well against them. Also they typically cannot fly when the temp is below about 70-75F, so if you can get out early in the morning you can just shake them off and stomp them
    East Coast, Zone 7a
    WL: Boysenberry Blush, CdDB, BNR

Comment

• It Could use another day
      It Could use another day commented
      Editing a comment
      We're above that during the summer 24/7, I saw that but it seems that's after they've landed on the figs.

Rue is supposed to deter them. I bought a couple of plants, but the figs are not currently attracting the June beetles to the yard.
    Jason. San Diego, CA - Zone 10A WL: Boysenberry Blush

Comment

Those aren’t Japanese beetles. I believe they look like green june beetles.

Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Verdolino, Black Celeste

Comment

• Ktrain
        Ktrain commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea those are not Japanese....I have a plethora of these and they do not bother figs or their leaves.

They're fig-eater beetles, in CA people call them June beetles. I think you can make funnel traps baited with fruit juice or overripe fruit for them.

Back east we had a big black beetle we called June beetles and also actual Japanese beetles. Regional common names can be so funny.
      Zone 10b, Long Beach CA
      Creator of The Original Wasp In Fly Out (WIFO) Bags
      Wish list: Bebera Branca

Comment

Green figeater beetles! If I didn't grow figs I think I'd actually like these colorful cartoonish creatures. It's amusing to watch how creeped out some people get when these noisy fliers buzz them.

Now down to business. I've tried some traps but they were almost useless, baits that others said worked for them didn't work for me. I've noticed that they like being in the tree. If I take the same fermented figs they were feeding on in the tree and put them in a container almost none go for it. They seem wary of being trapped inside of a container.

Things that seem to partially work for me: 1) pick them by hand 2) remove most of the spoiled fruit 3) cover figs with organza bags

http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/GARDEN/FRUI...uitbeetle.html
        Conrad, SoCal zone 10
        Wish List: More Land

Comment

• It Could use another day
          It Could use another day commented
          Editing a comment
          I've been trying to avoid the organza bag route as that means I'd have to cover hundreds of fig. Just going to have to suck it up.
          Last edited by It Could use another day; 08-03-2021, 09:24 PM.

• Noah Mercy
          Noah Mercy commented
          Editing a comment
          Need some in full-tree sizes.

Thanks for the help everyone, best bet is organza bags which is a pain.
        NC Sandhills zone 8A. Wishlist- BNR, CDDG, and split resistant figs.

Comment

We get lots of Japanese beetle damage here, but not on fig trees/fruit.
          Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7b

Care for the Earth...there's no place like home

Comment

https://youtu.be/wAJ3jHd6meg

Comment

Early morning.... vacuum them off. I use a dyson stick vac to suck beetles off my blueberries. it works.
              South Jersey, zone 7a- 20 mins from Philly, 30 mins from AC

Comment

• Noah Mercy
                Noah Mercy commented
                Editing a comment
                Put a long piece of 2 or 3 inch PVC pipe on it. I use a 20 foot joint and longer for vacuuming up bee swarms out of tree tops. Look up "bee vac" for more info and DIY. Works for wasp nests and stuff too (just make sure you wear your bee suit ;^)

• Realtorbyday
                Realtorbyday commented
                Editing a comment
                Noah Mercy Love that tip!

When figs start to ripen and the June beetles arrive,I have to walk down the rows of fig trees collecting the June beetles in an empty wide mouth Duke's mayo jar and then dump them in a larger container of damaged or spoiled figs.I leave the container in the sun.The heat kills the beetles and I feed the dead beetles and bad figs to my chickens the next day.The beetles will cause a lot more damage to your figs if you don't knock down their numbers when first detected and daily.
              Barry
              NE GA ,Zone 7b Low Temperature of 4F in 2015,17F in 2016,17F in 2017,6F in 2018,17F in 2019

Comment

• Noah Mercy
                Noah Mercy commented
                Editing a comment
                There you go @DeWalt, the fanny-pack beetle-vac could be the hottest addition to your cordless combo kit.
                Last edited by Noah Mercy; 08-04-2021, 05:59 AM.
            Working...
            X