X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking lot fig

I dug this fig up as a sapling out of a parking lot a 2-3 years ago, and was wondering what kind of fig it is. Now that it is producing fruit, I can show you the fruit and the leaf. Any thoughts?
    Attached Files
    Ahhh...Southern California, where the growing season is long and there's no rest for the weary. Mission Fig, Parking Lot Fig and 22 other fruit trees.

Do you live in Cali? Did it look like it was planted by someone?
    Louisiana Zone 8/9. W/L Whatever fig I don't have.

Comment

• MTH
      MTH commented
      Editing a comment
      I live in Topanga, CA. It looked to be a volunteer growing in a gravel median in a huge parking lot. So, I took my trusty shovel (kept in my trunk for this very eventuality), dug it up, and planted it in my yard. It's about 8' x 8' and it only started producing fruit this year.

It sort of looks related to Ronde de Bordeaux, doesn't it? I would have left it on the tree longer, but it was starting to split.
    Last edited by MTH; 08-02-2021, 03:26 PM.
    Ahhh...Southern California, where the growing season is long and there's no rest for the weary. Mission Fig, Parking Lot Fig and 22 other fruit trees.

Comment

• goodfriendmike
      goodfriendmike commented
      Editing a comment
      It kinda does. They have a lot of seedlings out there. Looks pretty good. How was the taste?

It was very complex berry with a hint of red wine, maybe...honey? Could've been sweeter if I left I on the tree another day or two.

Comment

• goodfriendmike
      goodfriendmike commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like you found a good one.

Wow. I sure did. I ate the other half and detected notes of apple, too. So deliciously complex.

Comment

That looks pretty awesome. Congrats.
      Z8+ Oregon, willamette valley. WL: More land, cool citrus
      Ok fine, I made a channel but it’s not all figs: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC2vAVzLns27I5JUiwpiPMUw

Comment

I would leave it under the "Parking Lot" (PL) fig name since it's a seedling, it has no name if you are looking for one.
        I can probably name about a dozen of PL varieties in my city, all delicious but I have no way to verify if they are Common or not.
        You can share cuttings with someone outside CA to check if it would produce without pollination.
        Congrats!
        USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Boysenberry Blush

Comment

very nice looking fig and pretty leaves. You could do a "seed sink test" and get an idea whether it could be common. I have quite a few wild seedlings that I'm growing...I can't wait to see if any of them produce anything worth while.
          Pm me for the list of trees available for sale.
          Phoenix, AZ zone 9B

Comment

Nice find! A good benefit of being a CA girl.
            Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7b

Care for the Earth...there's no place like home

Comment

DELICIOUSNESS UPDATE!

Well I waited 5-6 days before picking the next fig and all I can say is WOW! Its deliciousness knows no bounds, and that jammy consistency is to die for.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Otis
                Otis commented
                Editing a comment
                What a deep color. Good for you!

well if nothing for the photography and description it looks awesome.
              Ike
              bergen county NJ 6b
              Wish list: oh lets face it Ill take any variety I dont have!!

Comment

• MTH
                MTH commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, Drfig! I took it with my iPhone X!

If it does turn out to be a new variety from a seedling, what would you name it?

Comment

• MTH
                MTH commented
                Editing a comment
                I’d keep it as “Parking Lot” fig. 😂

Wow, that looks beautiful and delicious!
              (PNW, Z8b) WL: Almost anything. I have to trade: tayberries, mints, moringa, raspberries, asparagus, grapes, sunchokes, currants, pawpaws

Comment

Working...
              X