X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISHS Fig Symposium in Napoli, Italy August 2015

I had made note of this symposium previously and have gone to a ISHS conference on chestnuts in 2004. The other day I was chatting with the son of a farmer from Bakersfield (met him and his dad at another conference last August) and he mentioned his entire family is going to this. I'm trying to figure a way to actually justify the time to go to this ... and the money, though time is more of a constraint.

http://www.soishs.org/fig/

Anybody else tempted to go???
    My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Tempted in a fantasy sort of way... but not as much in reality. I think attending something like that would be cool however.

Are most of the presentations or discussions in Italian?
    SoCal, zone 10.
    www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

No, all presentations will be in English. This is an international society/conference and English is the language used in this symposiums, though the mastery of the language can vary. Presenters will also be from various countries. See the committee list at http://www.soishs.org/fig/index.php?...d=1&Itemid=102

I attended an Italian chestnut conference in October 2001 and it was in Italian and I was the only person from the USA there, so that was an interesting experience. I still understood some of the presentations but got quite a bit more out of private discussions with others in English. I still chuckle at how one guy said he could not speak English very well and we later were speaking about the quirks of the English language. After I was making some examples he said "oh yes, you're talking about the present participle". I don't think I had heard that term for about 30 years in an English class, LOL.

Comment

That's a long way to go for a 4 day conference and with no longer vacation attached - in Italy! Especially August/Sept. Let us know if you go, and how it was.
        SoCal, zone 10.

Comment

Looking at the website's pictures of crocette and palloni not to mention the gorgeous fresh figs is enough to entice any of us on this forum.
          I also found this little tidbit quite interesting in view of my origins,

"The Fig tree arrived in Italy probably during the Greek-Roman civilization. Since then, its cultivation has spread rapidly in all regions of Southern Italy, particularly in Cilento (Campania region) and in Cosenza (Calabria region), where fig production is protected by two different designation of origin (PDO): “Fico Bianco del Cilento” and “Fichi di Cosenza”.

Alas, this summer's vacation will be spent in Provence. Poor me!
          Frank Tallahasee 8B
          North Florida Figs

Comment

Alas, this summer's vacation will be spent in Provence. Poor me!
            I weep for you!
            SoCal, zone 10.

Comment

If I do happen to go, I'll probably include the 3 days of touring after the conference as well.

Comment

Can I pay you to mail me a few cuttings?
                Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• HarveyC
                  HarveyC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sure. I probably won't send anything though! :P

Turkey produces about 26% of the world's figs and, when combined with Egypt, Algeria, Morocco, Iran and Syria, these top six producing countries account for almost 70% of the world's annual production.

I probably wont be going to Iran or Syria anytime soon but Algeria and Morocco might be intersting.

I was thinking about going to Italy later this year and maybe greece as well. Can I buy pruning sheers there or should I bring my own?
                Jeff in 6a

Comment

Hey Jeff. If you make it that far (Italy) a visit to Greece is a must! Yes you can buy a pair of pruning sheers and yes you will need them! Just make sure you hide them well on the way back

Comment

Working...
                  X