X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bordissot Blanca Negra Main 2021

Why on earth is this fig not more popular?!? It is gorgeous and develops stripes as it ripens. The pulp is deep red with intense berry flavor. They are very nice sized figs. The tree is very productive and vigorous... what does this variety NOT have?!?
    Attached Files
    Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

I agree it is one of my favorites. I also notice it seems to lignify it’s wood fast, and so far seems to be relatively cold tolerant.
    Eric Los Lunas NM, Zone 7

Comment

It’s one I’ve got really high hopes for. My larger one is pretty loaded.
      Z8+ Oregon, willamette valley. WL: More land, cool citrus
      Ok fine, I made a channel but it’s not all figs: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC2vAVzLns27I5JUiwpiPMUw

Comment

That is a beauty for sure. No clue why this one isn't way, way more popular and talked about!
        // Los Angeles (10b) //
        // Wish List - A real yard with space to grow //

Comment

Just checked my inventory list and I don't have that one, I will have to add that asap.
          Tony, Toronto Canada USDA 4B now 5B apparently!!
          Wishlist:
          Yellow Neches, St Martain, Texas Peach.

Comment

• Frankenberry
            Frankenberry commented
            Editing a comment
            Ok, that is funny, I have to do the same. If I did not have a list to work off of I would have 5 copies of some and think I had others but have none!

Must be getting old! Or have alot of figs in a short time frame.
            Last edited by Frankenberry; 08-09-2021, 01:44 AM.

Quite striking!

I almost put it in my figaholics cart this year, but then I saw Bordissot Rosa.
          Tom V
          San DiegoCa

Comment

Thank you for posting this! Such an overlooked and undervalued variety. Gorgeous fig and extremely flavorful. It can be late, so maybe some people are scared off by this, but in my book, a must-have variety.

Comment

I have this one and the fruitlets are forming. Is it too late this time of the year in SoCal coastal? Thanks.
              San Diego 10a

Comment

I don't think this one is readily available. Doesn't it also go to a brown with pink and purple stripes?

I thought that was BrianM's picture @4 years ago. Just getting fruit this year. Don't know if it was caprified main or not. I think the cuttings were @$80. Incredible picture, totally sucked in.

Comment

• Garlic_Mike
                  Garlic_Mike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  May have been Val's figs, has been a bit, lol.

• Bellefleurs
                  Bellefleurs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mine looks bronze with stripes. I have one ripening right now that I hope is still there by tomorrow (i covered it with bird netting).
                  If so I’ll take a photo.

• Brian M
                  Brian M commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mike I do not grow this variety. Maybe it was BNR?

might need a one node cutting of that next winter ! Maybe a little over confidence or what ??
                Zone 10a So. Calif. W.L. Super tasty new finds !

Comment

• Evdurtschi
                  Evdurtschi commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have an entire tree I can give you, if you want. :-) Or cuttings. 👍

• Fig Gazer
                  Fig Gazer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The great and powerfull "figtator" lavishing gifts on his humble minions ,life is good in the empire of "figlandia" thanks !

I was gifted a BBN cutting with my cutting order from KMH this year (Thanks!) and it has rooted successfully. I thought this variety was like CdD B-N in producing both light and dark figs, which I have avoided because I don't need the added confusion. Now I hear it does not do that.
                [Figs] -- Eastern Missouri -- Zone 6

Comment

• Bellefleurs
                  Bellefleurs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I made the same assumption!!
                  Now I need to find that CdD B/N to complete my collection....ha.

That's a pretty fig! I have Bordissot Blanca Rimada. Other than looking different, I wonder how similar they are.
                Steve - Clarksburg, MD zone 7a

Comment

Awesome looking fig. If it taste half as good as it looks, it is a winner.
                  Zone 8B, MS
                  WL: CDDB, CDDN, JH Adriatic, White Madeira, Scott’s Black, LSU Tiger

Comment

I've wondered the same about its lack of popularity. Bordissot Rossa suffers the same fate. Both outstanding figs, in my opinion.
                    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
                    thewickedfig

Comment

Ve ry Nice on both accounts!! YEah Mine here in NY 7a made figlets early this year ,no help from a greenhouse. I dont think it will be as late as some think. I will certainly report my finds very soon.In the fall I will have some cuttings from mine available.

Comment

• Chosen328
                      Chosen328 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      cvarcher keep us update on when it ripens for you. Very interested to see how it does in NY 7a

• cvarcher
                      cvarcher commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I will. I report all my little babies on here.

Here is my ripening BB/N-
                    Apologies for the obstructed view but the birds have been savages and I really want to see this one ripen.
                    Attached Files
                    Piney Point Village, Zone 8b
                    W/L- Allix, Cateto

Comment

• Bellefleurs
                      Bellefleurs commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hope so!!!
                      Last night something swiped my two ripening Holy Smokes figs. The animal chewed/sucked them right through the netting!!!!! UGH!

• don_sanders
                      don_sanders commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's awesome. Fort Knox has less security.

• claret
                      claret commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I had the same thing happen, Bellefleurs! The plastic mesh was strong and the weave was tight, but the thief just chewed and sucked it out anyway. I'm starting to collect clear, hard, plastic clamshell containers (like some produce comes in: strawberries, salad ...). So far, they're working. I just cut holes where needed for the limb to go all the way through.

This BBN was picked yesterday from a one gallon. It looks similar to Enlightenment Garden’s video rendering. Striping very faint but the backside was green thus the name Blanca Negra. Her’s was sourced from WillsC and mine I believe from Kremp’s. Internally it was light pink and under ripe so that pic is not worth posting, however the flavor was very sweet and tasty!
                    Needs further evaluation next season.
                    Last edited by Finodejete; 08-04-2021, 04:48 PM.
                    So. California, Zone 10a

Comment

• TNJed
                      TNJed commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No pics showing up…?

• Finodejete
                      Finodejete commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I only posted the one pic in #17.

It might not be that late of a variety... I don't have many Pons varieties and even less are mature but DTE lines up with his ripening window here and I believe that Ross has said the same with some of his varieties. If BBN and BR line up as well, they should ripen around the Mt Etna timeframes making them relatively early... Pons lists BBN as medium resistant to rain and bad weather, very prone to landslides and have little resistance to transport (Landslide???Translation may not be 100%, haha). It would be a variety I'd love to try.

Planera doesn't appear to be swelling yet and it's window is fast approaching. DTE started 07/31 for me this year, 08/07 last year.

Pons dates in Les Figueres:
                    De Tres Esplets 08/02
                    Planera 08/06
                    Bordissot Blanca Negra 08/15
                    Blava Campanera 08/18
                    Bordissot Rossa 08/20
                    Last edited by don_sanders; 08-04-2021, 03:10 PM.
                    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Verdolino, Black Celeste

Comment

• don_sanders
                      don_sanders commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Figwasp That's an interesting thought. Does anyone know a calculator that will get the GDD for Spain and Ohio?

Looking at the average temps for both locations, it looks like May through July should be almost identical with only a slight lead in August/September. If my math is right, Majorca only about 250-300 GDD ahead of Ohio by the end of September.

Honestly, August and September are among the hottest months here and seem like any normal day should be hot enough to keep figs progressing. It doesn't normally all fall apart until October.

I guess I need more Pons figs to test, haha.

• Figwasp
                      Figwasp commented
                      Editing a comment
                      don_sanders the only tool I know of for GDD right now is weatherspark.com. It just shows a graph. I wish I could access weather data directly myself and run my own numbers, but last I looked into that it was very expensive if you wanted to be able to do it at random locations (like to compare Ohio and Mallorca) instead of a single location all the time. Anyway, here is the Mallorca weatherspark link if you want to look: https://weatherspark.com/y/147929/Av...-GrowingSeason

• don_sanders
                      don_sanders commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Figwasp That's helpful. That shows a 280 GDD accumulated advantage over August and September compared to my location using the center line. I suppose that could put me a week or two behind by the end of September.

I'm over 400 GDD behind going into August but around 300 of those occur before the season ever starts.

Amazing how similar the two locations actually are between May and September.

BBN is a delicious fig. The problem is it isn't great in places with wet summers. It's very prone to SWD, I've found. This year, my tree got really beaten up in the April hard freeze, and it won't fruit for me this season, unfortunately. However, for the past 2 seasons, when I have gotten nicely ripened figs off the tree, it's one of the best.
                    Zone 8A Southeast NC Coast
                    Subscribe via YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheMillennialGardener
                    Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/NCGardening

Comment

Just picked the fig and while it probably could have used another day it was very sweet.
                      The flavor reminded me of cherry vanilla. The skin was especially sweet.
                      Lovely
                      Attached Files
                      Piney Point Village, Zone 8b
                      W/L- Allix, Cateto

Comment

• cvarcher
                        cvarcher commented
                        Editing a comment
                        GULP!! Cherry Vanilla!!! OH Boy I have at least a dozen coming soon!!! Thanks for the anticipation !!

davej bbn produces abundant large dark figs with green stripes that have outstanding flavor. Because of these characteristics, it is easy to use this cultivar as a benchmark for fig excellence. Try this fig, then eat the others you have. If something beats it, then it's a keeper. What's nice is this tree produces in abundance and for an extended season, so you can continue to try and compare it against other figs you have. I currently use this as my benchmark.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• davej
                        davej commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Well, thank you for this one. It looks like an excellent fig. It had not been on my radar. Now I will be able to compare it with the others. My "standard to beat" will probably always be a well-ripened Southern BT, since I've owned those ever since I was a teenager.

I sold mine last spring. Can’t keep them all!
                      FigLife: www.figlife.com
                      www.youtube.com/figlifedotcom
                      [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                      X