X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown Turkey…???

So I have had this tree for nearly ten years. I bought it as a Brown Turkey but now I am looking closely at the leaves and it looks a lot like RdB that others have posted. Picture of the “Brown Turkey”attached. Do the two have the same basic leaf pattern or have I had an RdB all this time? If the latter, I am going to feel really stupid because I would now have grafted an RdB onto an RdB (the leaves do look the same…) 😳
    Attached Files
    Eric - Hamilton, VA (7a)

RdB or possibly a VdB type, they have similar leaves, but it's definitely not Brown Turkey.
    Steve - Clarksburg, MD zone 7a

Comment

Yea not BT at all, leaves are more jagged around the fingers, My RDB's fingers are really long....that resembles more of a Vdb type like Sparky said.
      Never know though, leaves can be tricky to pin to one variety.
      Kevin, N. Ga 7b Cheers!

Wishing all of you a bountiful harvest!

Comment

I am starting to think VdB. I think this is a typical fig from the tree from last year (purple one). Isn’t RdB typically smaller? Btw, had a lot of splitting last year.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Eric; 08-03-2021, 08:36 PM.
        Eric - Hamilton, VA (7a)

Comment

These are some brebas (I think - dated July 16th) from a clone from a friend I gifted it to. Looks a little under ripe.
          Attached Files
          Eric - Hamilton, VA (7a)

Comment

Sweet shoes.
            Sebastopol, California. Zone 9a
            The best time to plant a fig tree was 80 years ago. The second best time was 50 years ago. Oh well.

Comment

I'm voting VdB. I ended up with FOUR of them now. 2 were sopposed to be something else.
              South Jersey, zone 7a- 20 mins from Philly, 30 mins from AC

Comment

• Figland
                Figland commented
                Editing a comment
                That is so annoying when that happens! At least you have a good tasting fig though!

• Realtorbyday
                Realtorbyday commented
                Editing a comment
                True. But one of them was supposed to be I-258. It was a stick when I got it basically. Now it's a VdB. It's beautiful and covered in fruit but.... I-258!!! You understand.

So I had a small RdB cutting that I grafted onto what I originally thought was the Brown Turkey but am now pretty sure is VdB. I was examining the leaves in comparison and I noticed that while they are similar, the RdB has five long finger lobes and two smaller lobes while the VdB has only three fully developed finger lobes and two smaller ones. Two representative pictures are attached. I do have another VdB that I started from a traded cutting this spring so I looked at its leaves and, yes, three long finger lobes and two smaller. So in the end what I thought was BT looks to actually be VdB (as many surmised) and not RdB. So I have a lot of VdB trees and have found it to be good rootstock for grafting.
              Attached Files
              Eric - Hamilton, VA (7a)

Comment

Working...
              X