X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Pastiliere

I tasted my first Pastiliere fig today. Fortunately, it was the first of several more to come. My wife said it tasted just like the perfectly ripe Smith we had yesterday which I felt was the best berry fig I ever tasted to date. Pastiliere matched it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Pastiliere 8-3-21.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	571.2 KB
ID:	1025245 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pastiliere 1.1.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	595.5 KB
ID:	1025246 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pastiliere 1.2.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	547.2 KB
ID:	1025247 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pastiliere 1.3.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	517.7 KB
ID:	1025248
    Peter - San Diego 10a. Santa Rosa 9b, 10b. WL: Angelito, Sicily 33, Narucciolo d Elba and Figoin. Better to give than to receive

Looking good!
    How old is the Pastiliere?
    Round Rock, TX 8b
    WL: Delicious figs

Comment

• PBfigs
      PBfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Nate. I don't know the age of this tree. I got it as a 3 foot tree in a 15 gal. pot a year ago from Dr.Draconian. If I had to guess, it is 3-4 years old. I think I will set an AL for a second tree. This fig is that good!

• Halligan-
      Halligan- commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s awesome!
      Mine is a 2nd year tree. Hopefully, it will hold fruit next year👍🏻

Nice! Looks good!

I had a couple from my tree as well, but my tree is quite young so they didn’t have much flavor. But it sounds like it should improve!
    ░░░SoCal░ ░ ͡ i ͡ ░ ░Zone░ ░9A░░░

W/L: La Joya, Ondata, Belvedere, Bebera Branca, Fico Giallo, Vernino, Asunta 5 Paco (DF)

Comment

• PBfigs
      PBfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      They will definitely improve. I was happily surprised at how good this first fig of the season was. The two next to it are larger and they should be awesome too. Can’t wait to taste them.

That’s an awesome looking fig. I have a trade in the works for one.
    Tim-Zone 8a/Northport, Alabama
    WL- Calderona, Black Tuscan, Genovese Nero AF or
    any good dark figs.

Comment

Nice!
      Tom V
      San DiegoCa

Comment

Congratulations, Peter! Now you’re past the “drop zone” (when they drop all their fruit). You’ll be in the sweet spot from here on out!

Interesting comparison to Smith. I’ve heard Pastiliere described as one of the earliest premium figs. But I didn’t think it would be up there with Smith.

(But then, what do I know? I haven’t tasted either one yet. Looking forward to that day!)
        Alan. Los Angeles area. Zone 10b (Sunset zone 24).
        Looking for: Boysenberry Blush, Dolce Calderai, Hative D'Argenteuil, Ondata.

Comment

• PBfigs
          PBfigs commented
          Editing a comment
          Alan, I will be going up to visit my son on Saturday. I will bring you a Smith and Pastilieri for you to try, if they are ready. Plus any other goodies I can find.

• claret
          claret commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow, thanks, Peter! 🤩

• claret
          claret commented
          Editing a comment
          It was very, very kind of you to bring that fig up from San Diego, "special delivery". Thank you, Peter! My wife and I split it. And now (also thanks to Peter) I have a little green-leaf'd Pastiliere factory of my very own! For those who haven't met him yet, Peter is a great guy. I'm very happy to count him as a new friend. And we started our conversation on OurFigs!

Thanks for the report Peter! I received a bare root Pastiliere from Kremp earlier this year and it has a couple fruit on it. One is starting to swell so hopefully I’ll be able to taste it soon.

Simon

Comment

• PBfigs
          PBfigs commented
          Editing a comment
          LMK how it goes. I can always drop some for you to try.

Thanks, good to know they're as good as perfect Smiths. I assume they got wasped?
        Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7b

Care for the Earth...there's no place like home

Comment

• PBfigs
          PBfigs commented
          Editing a comment
          Didn’t have the wasp visit me so far. All of my Unknown Pastilieri have dropped, if that is an indication. I didn’t think to do the seed sink test. For the next ones, I will test the seeds.

Such beautiful figs!!
        I’ll admit that I have this tree primarily for aesthetics but it’s exciting to know that the figs taste great too.
        Piney Point Village, Zone 8b
        W/L- Allix, Cateto

Comment

Looks great, my 4th year Pastiliere set a few and is now aborting figlets that probably
          wouldnt ripen anyway. Last season it ripened a few, if quality improves I need multiples of this early variety
          Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
          Wishlist- earliest maincrop varieties

Comment

Looks great!! It has some history too.

Comment

That’s something to look forward to. Great job Peter!
              Z8+ Oregon, willamette valley. WL: More land, cool citrus
              Ok fine, I made a channel but it’s not all figs: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC2vAVzLns27I5JUiwpiPMUw

Comment

Oh my god, we sampled the Pastiliere that Peter brought over yesterday and it was mind blowing good. It was one of the best figs I’ve had all year. The interior was a deep red and it was jammy inside and just absolutely incredible! It was incredibly sweet with perfect acid balance.

thanks for sharing the fruit Peter, I’m definitely propagating more of this variety.

Simon

Comment

I am glad you liked it. That was the second fig I harvested from this tree that came from DrDraconian. This afternoon, (@claret) is getting an AL and fig from this tree. Sharing is caring! Love this group of figsters!And you, Simon, are one of the most caring people I have ever met. 🤗
                  Peter - San Diego 10a. Santa Rosa 9b, 10b. WL: Angelito, Sicily 33, Narucciolo d Elba and Figoin. Better to give than to receive

Comment

that's really cool. pastiliere has been known to hard to put out fig. remember good number of members trying to get fig off pastiliere and end up figs dropping. nice looking fig!
                    Pete
                    USDA Zone 7b
                    Piedmont NC

Comment

Looks amazing, congrats! I have a little one I put in the ground earlier this year. Which strain of Pastiliere is this?
                      San Francisco Zone 10B.
                      WL: None

Comment

• DrDraconian
                        DrDraconian commented
                        Editing a comment
                        @PBFigs

I bought my Pastilliere (2 trees) from Raintree Nursery. It was a variety I would have kept if I had more room, but once I decided it most likely wasn't going to be in my top 10, I sold off both trees.

• oat
                        oat commented
                        Editing a comment
                        DrDraconian thank you! Mine is from Raintree as well. I’m looking forward to see how it will perform. In my location being early is important so I’m hoping it performs well.

• PBfigs
                        PBfigs commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks, Richard. So far, this is my best tasting fig, a tie with Smith. If you would like a copy of it, I can set an AL for you. LMK.
                    Working...
                    X