X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Manzanita under attack again

Hi everyone. I need some advice. The Black Manzanita mother tree was chopped back to one remaining stem about 3 feet tall some months back, and I recently learned that this last stem has been airlayered about three inches off the ground. So, it is obvious that someone is planning to entirely cut down the rest of the tree this season.

What should I do?

Thanks,
    Alastair
    Sebastopol, California. Zone 9a
    The best time to plant a fig tree was 80 years ago. The second best time was 50 years ago. Oh well.

if the tree is in circulation already there's not much you can/should do assuming the person is legally cutting it.
    NC Sandhills zone 8A. Wishlist- BNR, CDDG, and split resistant figs.

Comment

Dig it up, and plant Brown Turkey in its place.
      Phoenix, Arizona 9B

Comment

• ieatfigs
        ieatfigs commented
        Editing a comment
        lmao 😂 😂 😂

• Alastair
        Alastair commented
        Editing a comment
        That would be a funny, but the root ball is old and enormous.

Can't wait to see these pathetic figbid listings with the description " mother tree is no longer exists, and these are my last set to start a bidding war or ask for $200 a cutting"

It will be mostly whoever did this. Which I recommend to not by from her/him
      MJ
      Chicago Zone 5
      Varieties List

Comment

Alastair- If I were in your position, I would have to check the tree out from time to time out of pure curiosity. You did your part as you helped spread it around.
        It looks like a great fig and I thank you for your efforts!
        https://youtube.com/channel/UCHHopi_E99OBvafBPEcF_pg
        Zone 8B - Cottage Grove, Or
        Wish List - Crema di Wheat

Comment

If you have space, I would definitely go with removing that air layer, digging up the tree and moving it.
          Dallas,TX - Zone 8a - Follow me @thefarmingtales on Insta.
          WL - Angelito, El Sueno Yellow, Yellow Absheron, Fico Giallo, Tia Penya, Campaniere, Moro de Caneva, Cessac, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

It will grow back from the stump. It’s too bad the old growth is gone but it will come back strong with all the roots.
            San Francisco Zone 10B.
            WL: None

Comment

• oat
              oat commented
              Editing a comment
              Netstars I don’t know. I’m curious if it’s just one person and what purpose. It seems weird to have to cut down decades old tree for propagation.

• Netstars
              Netstars commented
              Editing a comment
              I had not thought of that. Finding the airlayer is strange as well!

• Alastair
              Alastair commented
              Editing a comment
              It will definitely grow back, but at this rate, it will never recover. Whoever is doing this might just keep on snipping off the shoots that come up. I like the idea being discussed of digging it up and planting it in a safe place, but the main root mass is probably 4 feet in diameter and hundreds of pounds (with the clinging dirt), and excavating it from a public space might get me in trouble.

No!!! That’s awful. Man. What a bummer. That is really disappointing.
            It IS in a public spot and is fair game so if the layer is ready, anyone can take it.... maybe just dig up the whole root ball. That would be quite the chore from what you’ve said though....
            Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

Comment

I agree with @swethakyadav - dig it up and re-hide it. You name the day and I'll help.

Comment

Why would anybody do this?
                I feel especially thankful to have this tree happily growing in my backyard. It’s nearly as tall as I am and it’s loaded with figs. This is a very healthy tree.
                Piney Point Village, Zone 8b
                W/L- Allix, Cateto

Comment

If it is on public land, I would bring a couple of friends shovels and dig that tree up. As someone said earlier, plant a bt lol
                  David
                  Los Angeles CA zone 10B
                  Wish list: Cosme Manyo

Comment

I wonder what happened to all those cuttings...there's no postings of plants anywhere?

I think I read some time ago Koreans were traveling here and digging up rare succulents.
                    Tom V
                    San DiegoCa
                    Wishlist: Them esoteric figs

Comment

• Evdurtschi
                      Evdurtschi commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I know. I have been keeping a look out for any postings of this or of another "new" find with similar looking pics but I have not seen anything. I started looking when he first mentioned it. It is odd.

I would leave it and leave a note expressing your feelings. It’s been distributed and preserved. That one grew wild and folks can plant copies across the countryside if they wish to have wild examples out there. Moving it doesn’t seem practical for Alastair.
                    CJ in Memphis 7b/8a….tight eyes, nonsplitters...Pons figs, French figs, Mario figs & tasty Cali seedlings!

Comment

It's definitely odd. Maybe the person who set the air layer is not the person who has been cutting down the tree but rather another hobbyist trying to save some of it.
                      7B Southern NJ

Comment

I like that I own this tree, but I'm sad the community it came from paid the price. You should dig it up and give it a safe place to grow. You won't need the entire rootball, and you've pretty much claimed it by introducing it to the public.
                        Meys - Round Rock, TX. Zone 8b
                        Wishlist: Cherry Cordial, Cosme Manyo, Texas Peach, Black Celeste, Little Ruby, any persistent caprifig.

Comment

Crazy idea ..sign saying
                          introduced to ourfigs as
                          Black Manzanita
                          by Alastair

Mario tx
                          Mario
                          Texas 9A

Comment

If I were you, I'd remove the entire tree from its roots. The person doing this must be your typical money hungry seller.

Comment

• ieatfigs
                              ieatfigs commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Disagree. Nobody has sold this variety on figbid other than the 2 who discovered it.

• SoCalFigs
                              SoCalFigs commented
                              Editing a comment
                              ieatfigs you sure about that?

• Rigo007
                              Rigo007 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Not everyone needs or depends on figbid. BTW, I got cuttings from Alastair himself, sold one online and sent him the proceeds, thank you.

I started a few cuttings of this one this year. They grew stronger than any other cutting. Looking forward to getting some fruit from this next year.
                            Zone 7B/8A Wake Forest, NC. Wish list - 1. To stop murdering fig cuttings. 2. To find the biggest, juiciest, cold hardiest, most delicious common fig in the world! (and not murder it)

Comment

If you don't dig it up, someone else will. Or, the person with all the cuttings will dump roundup on the root ball to drive up the price of their trees. Don't think someone would do that? It was already done to a 600 year old oak tree in Austin, Texas known as the "Treaty Oak." You are dealing with a fig psychopath.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/lo...d-a53429d2a065
                              Phoenix, Arizona 9B

Comment

• mwhight34
                                mwhight34 commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Greed ruins many things unfortunately 😔

There's all this talk about some money hungry person taking cuttings and selling it. I haven't seen anyone sell it besides the 2 people here who found it. You can look up figbid sale history. You guys are making stuff up.
                              GA, 7b

Comment

• mwhight34
                                mwhight34 commented
                                Editing a comment
                                They’re most likely using other sites to sell the stuff but who knows

• TNJed
                                TNJed commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I agree with you it’s not too many on Figbid, but that’s not the only place people sell fig trees and cuttings. LOTS on Facebook etc. Plus they could be calling it something else.

• ieatfigs
                                ieatfigs commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Figbid is where the money's at. If they call it something else or sell it elsewhere, it won't make them money.

Just curious, what are the etiquettes and regulations for fig trees discovered in the public land?

Does the law or city regulation allow people to take cuttings, or dig it up?

Etiquette side, I assume it would be nice to keep the tree in a reasonable shape?
                              San Diego 10a

Comment

• oat
                                oat commented
                                Editing a comment
                                The laws don’t allow either of those. Obviously if you take some cuttings, no one is going to care too much. I think people should just follow the basic foraging etiquette.

Originally posted by ieatfigs View Post
                              There's all this talk about some money hungry person taking cuttings and selling it. I haven't seen anyone sell it besides the 2 people here who found it. You can look up figbid sale history. You guys are making stuff up.
                              At least 5 people that I can think of immediately have sold it on Figbid. I'll bet it's more than that.

Sebastopol, California. Zone 9a
                              The best time to plant a fig tree was 80 years ago. The second best time was 50 years ago. Oh well.

Comment

• Strell
                                Strell commented
                                Editing a comment
                                There are 40 completed transactions related to this fig variety on figbid made by 7 different people and there is 1 active sale on figbid.https://www.figbid.com/Browse?FullTe...ilterOptions=1

• oat
                                oat commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Maybe they are selling it elsewhere?

• swethakyadav
                                swethakyadav commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I am the one with the active listing on figbid. Cutting came from Alastair through a group buy we did for a few of us in Dallas. This is my only extra rooted cutting of this variety and will be the only one I will be selling this year.

The entire situation sucks! People can be terrible.

That said, dig up and replant in another "secret" spot..

or airlayer just above the other airlayer and take home...replant in another "secret" spot.

or cut off just above the airlayer and root the cuttings... replant in another "secret" spot.
                              Sam
                              AKA Frankenberry/Scubasamdo
                              Arroyo Grande / Central Coast of California, 10a/b, AHS 1

Comment

• oat
                                oat commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I don’t see the point to be honest. IIRC, Alastair has a big tree of this variety already. Digging up a tree is also not worth it because of the age and how much damage digging it could cause to public property

That truly stinks. I wish there was a way to deter these low class people.
                              Zone 7a Westchester County, NY
                              Wish List:Boysenberry Blush, De La Roca. Vincenzo, The One, Calderona de miner, Verdolino, Blanche De Deu’s Saisons

Comment

The underground fig world...as dark and seedy as the Black Manzanita itself.
                                Tom V
                                San DiegoCa
                                Wishlist: Them esoteric figs

Comment

• TNJed
                                  TNJed commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Well done sir…👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

• 2AngelsMushrooms
                                  2AngelsMushrooms commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  You win the internet tonight, sir!

• Bellefleurs
                                  Bellefleurs commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  You always come up with the perfect comments.
                              Working...
                              X