X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympian Breba in ground NY 7A

So I let these hang more and one started splitting .No sap from stem and very soft. Tiny Ants got thru the organza bags. They started late July and into early August .Winter protection was a little burlap wrap and a tarp. I wont protect it this winter . Taste- perhaps a 6/10 Again I was not wowed by its taste. Slightly juicy, hint of a faint acid berry and very mild to almost non detectable sweetness. To me Id rather sacrifice these to an unprotected cold winter and concentrate instead on the main crop. There is a slight variation of quality going from fig to fig and when exactly its picked along with the current weather conditions You just cant control everything perfectly. I should also add the lawn sprinklers hit this tree every other day. No rust at all and could it also water down the flavor. ???
    Attached Files

Thanks for the detailed report. FWIW, I've come to a similar conclusion here -- It's better just to focus on the main crop.

Next spring, I'm going to try giving a strong head start to a few trees of the easiest varieties, such as Florea and Ronde de Bordeaux, using LEDs in the basement. This year I managed to harvest ~8 ripe figs in early July from a single Florea treated this way; they were way better than any brebas.

The question now is whether the quantity can be sufficient to justify the work. I love figs, but maybe I should be satisfied with berries then peaches from June to August, followed by the main crop figs late August through early October, followed by apples and persimmons October through November.
    Joe, Z6B, RI.

Comment

• cvarcher
      cvarcher commented
      Editing a comment
      dont forget cherries and grapes. !LOL ( and Mulberries)

• jrdewhirst
      jrdewhirst commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I was implicitly including mulberries in "berries." My Illinois Everbearing is just finishing up a banner 6-week season. My wife and I have been making desserts mixing mulberries and peaches. Yum!

I have some grapes but they have not been a top priority. Birds get most of them.

I agree it’s better to focus on main crop but that one does still look a few days away from ripe. EBTs don’t taste very good picked early IMO. A few more days and they can be quite good…even better than the main crop for me sometimes. I still got rid of all of my EBTs. I think they are better suited to other locations.

I’d be surprised if you get any main crop if it’s dies back to the ground unprotected.

Click image for larger version  Name:	285E6C08-FA93-4C09-8B0D-00EDDA0DE901.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	120.7 KB ID:	1025642
    Click image for larger version  Name:	8EE55996-ACDB-44D8-B239-AFD8167A4B4B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	80.7 KB ID:	1025643
    Last edited by don_sanders; 08-04-2021, 01:19 PM.
    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Verdolino, Black Celeste

Comment

• cvarcher
      cvarcher commented
      Editing a comment
      Who said it dies back to the ground?? Here on Long Island zone 7a its right at the borderline for most figs. In fact I found six full sized fig trees loaded with both brebas and main .hey must have been 12ft all each. YEah it could have gone a few days more but ants were getting in and one had cracks along the sides where you could see inside. There was no sap from the stem. I have had a main crop fig off this tree last year first time and it was very good,much better than breba. had the peach taste . I have at least 50 main figs to go on this one.

• don_sanders
      don_sanders commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think anyone said it dies back to the ground. You didn't and I didn't. If it does die back down in your borderline zone, I wouldn't expect any figs that year though.

Honestly, the additional delay from the unprotected cold could possibly set you back enough to not get any main crop without any dieback anyway. When do main ripen for you, end of September? Maybe October?

Just food for thought.

• Rewton
      Rewton commented
      Editing a comment
      Here in MD zone 7a my LaRadek's BT has had a great year for brebas - very tasty and abundant. They were borderline as good as the main crop.

Your post before read -"I’d be surprised if you get any main crop if it’s dies back to the ground unprotected. Mine never did. I guess you can read it both ways .But in either case Olympian is a zone 6a fig from Olympia Washington where they do have freezing winter there yet it yields main crop. Those 6 fig trees I just found the other day was loaded with both brebas and main and I dont think they have any winter protection given the size of the trees. about the only die back Ive seen is 3 inches worth off of some branch tips. And that was after its first winter. They usually get hardier each year after.

Comment

FWIW, I removed an in-ground Laradek's EBT (and gave away a potted tree) because the main crop is so late. It ripens, but reluctantly in late Sept / Oct.
      Joe, Z6B, RI.

Comment

Working...
      X