X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was The Mystery Ever Solved?

Did anyone buy cuttings or trees from Just Fruits & Exotics labeled Black Madeira, which ended up not being Black Madeira (their own admission) ? How did the cuttings and trees turn out? How’s the fruit? Do we know what the variety ended up being?

I believe the identity is still considered unknown but the tree produced quality fruit, very similar to CLBC. BIG BILL sells it as JFE BM NOT and I bought a tree from him last month. He has a bit of info about it on the site and you can find more with the google machine 👌🏼.
    CJ in Memphis 7b/8a….tight eyes, nonsplitters...Pons figs, French figs, Mario figs & tasty Cali seedlings!

Comment

• Achilles
      Achilles commented
      Editing a comment
      A couple weeks ago I felt brave and used the googles but the results were all over the place. Some said it was another variety within the Black Madeira family, others said it was a mission type and so on and so on. I was wondering if anyone had figs from a personal tree they could share. I know PA figs has a video on his channel regarding it and loves the flavor but it seems the mystery still remains.

This is a helpful thread IMO:

https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...ot-info-needed
    CJ in Memphis 7b/8a….tight eyes, nonsplitters...Pons figs, French figs, Mario figs & tasty Cali seedlings!

Comment

• drew51
      drew51 commented
      Editing a comment
      I now think it may be Scott’s Black.

• Achilles
      Achilles commented
      Editing a comment
      The shape and coloring is kinda right for LSU SB but dying to see both side by side - cut open. Also, are the ripening times the same for breba and main crops?

• jessup42
      jessup42 commented
      Editing a comment
      drew51 i still think its true! Im growing each & am keeping a close eye. So far.....

I have JFE BM Not from 2 different members and both are different. So far, one produces figs almost identical to BM but in the experience of the member that shared it with me, it performs different in her climate and it is more vigorous. The other one is a dead ringer for LSU Scott's Black. I am 99% certain that it what one of the mislabeled JFE BM trees is. I feel very confident that the other is an actual Black Madeira but maybe a healthier version.
    Last edited by Evdurtschi; 08-05-2021, 03:56 PM.
    Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

Comment

• Achilles
      Achilles commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Eric. Any comparison would be great.

• Bellefleurs
      Bellefleurs commented
      Editing a comment
      LSU Scott’s Black sounds like a great fig!!!

• Evdurtschi
      Evdurtschi commented
      Editing a comment
      Bellefleurs It sure is! It is an excellent fig here and is a family favorite

I think the mystery may have been solved…
    Two of these pics are JFE BM NOT, two are Scott’sBlack………@achilles

Click image for larger version  Name:	4E36615C-9E85-4DF8-9A66-23F0B901930C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	493.1 KB ID:	1027303 Click image for larger version  Name:	60AF7E5F-8346-4F94-A3F6-974893C5F97B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	483.9 KB ID:	1027300
    Click image for larger version  Name:	BD025988-969C-4371-A21D-8CE24B69F74F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	474.0 KB ID:	1027301 Click image for larger version  Name:	947B7CFF-9647-4EFE-8028-762ED82785A6.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	503.4 KB ID:	1027302
    Last edited by TNJed; 08-06-2021, 02:16 PM.

Comment

• Achilles
      Achilles commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s pretty damn close!!!
Working...
X