X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green figs in-ground 7b and below

Adriatic figs are my favorite type. I currently have vasilika sika in ground, and it does very well with no protection. I’d like to try to grow some others, but I’m only interested in planting in-ground.

what are some other Adriatic figs that are cold-Hardy enough to produce in-ground for zones 7b and below?
    Last edited by abeadbapda; 08-07-2021, 09:46 AM.

I would consider something like green michurinska which is said to have a similar flavor and is quite hardy.
    Zone 5 Omaha. Wishing for in ground cold hardy figs.

Comment

Originally posted by abeadbapda View Post
      Green/white/Adriatic (I believe those 3 names are synonymous) figs are my favorite type. I currently have vasilika sika in ground, and it does very well with no protection. I’d like to try to grow some others, but I’m only interested in planting in-ground.

what are some other Adriatic figs that are cold-Hardy enough to produce in-ground for zones 7b and below?
      Green, white and Adriatic fig types are different.

Adriatic type is green outside and red inside (like strawberry). They are not known to be very hardy. But some are.

Yellow/white and some green figs are mostly honey or sugar figs. I grow a very cold hardy heirloom fig called Princeton Honey (unk.). I believe it is the White Marsailles. Albo is cold hardy, but hard to find it. Brookly White and Yellow Long Neck are very popular. Not sure how cold hardy they are. My friend has a Lattarula/Italian Honey large tree that has been in garden unprotected for years.
      Princeton, New Jersey, 6B
      flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/red-sun/albums
      My FigBid: https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=RedSun

Comment

Well, I have a fig called Adriatic White and an Ischia Green which is said to be an Adriatic type so I guess Adriatic types can be green or white. They have red or shades of red interiors. I also have Lattarula/Italian Honey which I would consider green or white but not an Adriatic type. I also have Vasilika Sika so I am happy to know that it will grow in Zone 7B and below - as long as by below you mean Zone 6B? Or does below mean geographically?
        NNJ 6B
        Wishlist: Colar d'Albatera, Mary Magdalene's and the Virgin Mary's Fig, Red Lebanese BV

Comment

• abeadbapda
          abeadbapda commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry, by Below i meant zone 6 or 5. Do you have white Adriatic and ischia green in ground and unprotected? And how do they taste?

• KDAD
          KDAD commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry. I have both but not in ground. The White Adriatic is a second year tree in a pot but it was given to me at the end of the season last year..
          The Ischia Green is a first year trees started as cutting in December, also in a pot. Also have Vasilika Sika, but again in a pot. I don't have any of those scheduled to go in the ground but won't rule any of them out. I will keep any eye on the VS for how it does.

White Adriatic is my most hardy fig tree, resistant to cold and heat. It is large size, Green skin & red pulp, but it ripens late.
        Attached Files
        Wish List: BNR
        Growing list: WM#1, Golden Rainbow, LSU Tiger, Hollier, Violet Sepor, White Adriatic, Astoria Green, H.Chicago.

Comment

• abeadbapda
          abeadbapda commented
          Editing a comment
          How does white Adriatic taste?

• Jeffrey88
          Jeffrey88 commented
          Editing a comment
          Sweeter than LSU tiger, overall it is more flavorful and the fruit is not hollow at center.

• Clarktj2
          Clarktj2 commented
          Editing a comment
          How would you compare wm#1 and white Adriatic?

"Green/white/Adriatic (I believe those 3 names are synonymous) figs are my favorite type." A minor quibble: not all green figs are adriatic types. For example, I would consider Iranian Candy a green fig but it is not an adriatic and it is very early.

As for adriatics, I agree with others above that you should take a look at Green Michurinska. Another one is adriatic JH which should do well in ground in zone 7b. I grow it in zone 7a and get fruit (though it is late). This year I should learn how the Green Michurinska ripening time compares to the other adriatics. The key with all these is to somehow prevent winter die-back. If they die back then this delays their fruit set substantially and you will have a hard time getting fruit in a reasonable time frame.
        Steve
        D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
        WL: Castillon

Comment

I have an unknown smuggled italian fig which we never cover and pumps out delicious green figs. I can get you cuttings at the end of season
          Ike
          bergen county NJ 6b
          Wish list: oh lets face it Ill take any variety I dont have!!

Comment

• KDAD
            KDAD commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! 😶

• Drfig
            Drfig commented
            Editing a comment
            kdad just remind me when its pruning time. I usually have an entire ziplock back full of them.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info everybody. I should have said my favorite flavor profile is Adriatic: green when ripe with red interior berry flavor.

sounds like I need to look into green michurinska and Adriatic JH

For those that are interested: vasilika sika (which I would assume to be Adriatic given the descriptions above) is excellent taste and does very well in ground in humid 7b

any other suggestions are welcome

Comment

U. Proscuitto is another very reliable adriatic type for me here in zone 7a. It is cold hardy and quite productive.
            Steve
            D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
            WL: Castillon

Comment

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned White Madeira #1. This variety is said to have at least above-average cold tolerance as it was found growing in Silver Spring, Maryland by Tam Pham. I have put my 3-year-old tree inground this spring along with AJH, and Ponte Tresa. WM#1 is the best Adriatic type I've tasted yet by far. I do have high hopes for Thermolito, but mine is in its first leaf and has not yet fruited.
              Angel #1 at 2 Angels Mushrooms & Figs-Chattanooga, TN Zone 7-B

Comment

• abeadbapda
                abeadbapda commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow. I had heard of it but had no idea it where it was found. I can feel my wallet getting lighter already

Now @2AngelsMushrooms brought WM #1.

I have at least 4 figs that are related to Adriatic. Two are marked as Adriatic JH, but one of them definitely does not look the same as the rest. The other two have similar leaf shape to Adriatic JH and still waiting for fruits to ID.

My question is that, if you were given several fig trees without tags, Adriatic JH, Green Ischia, Verte, Strawberry Verte, Battaglia Green and White Madeira #1, can you tell from leaf shape and fruits? Clearly there are redundancy. It could be the story of Lattarula and Italian Honey. Some folks can't ID them, so they gave the same figs new names for marketing purposes perhaps. People like fancy names.

Princeton, New Jersey, 6B
              flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/red-sun/albums
              My FigBid: https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=RedSun

Comment

you forgot Rockaway Green,another cold hardy adriatic type discovered here on Long Island,NY Another mention might be ST Martin and certainly Dalmatie.

Comment

Red_Sun WM#1 and Green Ischia definitely have different leaf types. I have them both and they are distinct from each other. I'm actually getting rid of my in-ground Green Ischia -- it either never fruits or fruits way too late to ripen here.

I'd also add Peter's Honey to the list above. It has good cold tolerance though is a honey/yellow fig with green exterior.
                  East Coast, Zone 7a
                  WL: Boysenberry Blush, CdDB, BNR

Comment

• Red_Sun
                    Red_Sun commented
                    Editing a comment
                    @key88sf

Try not to hijack this thread.  Can you send (PM) me photos of leaf shapes of WM #1 and Green Ischia?
                Working...
                X