• Show
Clear All

• Yellow Long Neck

Click image for larger version

Name:	441DF888-5C0B-4584-BEBD-372C337A0D32.jpeg
Views:	248
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	1026654

Not much going on in the flavor dept. but a large, dependable all around very sweet fig.

I find them the best eating during a heat wave when the temps are over 100F and the sun has been beating down on the fruit all afternoon.

Name:	1FB84E04-0311-4FD0-AE47-95AC84F88ADA.jpeg
Views:	226
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	1026655

So. California, Zone 10a

Thanks for the info πŸ‘πŸΌ
    CJ in Memphis 7b/8a….tight eyes, nonsplitters...Pons figs, French figs, Mario figs & tasty Cali seedlings!

Comment

Not hard to get those temps here this summer Looks great!
      β–‘β–‘β–‘Sβ–‘oβ–‘Cβ–‘aβ–‘lβ–‘ β–‘ Ν‘ i Ν‘ β˜Όβ–‘ β–‘Zβ–‘oβ–‘nβ–‘eβ–‘ β–‘9Aβ–‘β–‘β–‘

W/L: La Joya, Ondata, Belvedere, Bebera Branca, Fico Giallo, Vernino, Asunta 5 Paco (DF)

Comment

I have a question if you dont mind. I know sometimes figs develope in different shapes than usual. But this fig doesnt look anything like any of the yellow Long neck figs I have seen. They tend to have very long neck and ripen yellow yellow. So I guess Im asking where did you get it from if you dont mind me asking. My ginos black had two completely different looking figs year one both main crop. But Ive never seen a yellow long neck fig that wasnt very yellow with a super long neck. But I dont have the variety myself yet so I am not well educated on it.
        7b.. Wish list figs.. #1.Verdalino, #2.Figoin.....

Comment

The neck lengths can be variable. It was starting to turn yellow but became soft so I picked it. They usually ripen around the 3rd week of August for me and are usually yellower during that time frame.

I got mine as a 1 gallon rooted cutting from the late George Emerich in Fallbrook, Ca about 20 years ago. I went down there (from Los Angeles) on advice from Edgar Valdivia (who has YouTube videos on this variety) whom I met at a California Rare Fruit Growers meeting in the early 2000’s.

My tree and Edgar’s tree are from wood George collected from the UC Riverside breeding program.
          So. California, Zone 10a

Comment

Jamey as Finodejete mentioned, neck length on this variety can vary dramatically.
            Attached Files
            Evan. Wish list - Any Mario variety
            SoCal - Zone 10a & CO zone 5b

Comment

• cvarcher
              cvarcher commented
              Editing a comment
              This one looks like Long Yellow which has the long neck. I believe Yellow Long Neck is a squatier fig with a long stem and short neck.

• SoCalFigs
              SoCalFigs commented
              Editing a comment
              cvarcher Hey Corrado! This is Yellow Long Neck purchased directly from Harvey.

• cvarcher
              cvarcher commented
              Editing a comment
              Evan, the first picture of Finodejete looks like Yellow Long neck and his provenance sounds reliable . Yours has a more oblong shape with a long neck ,possible shorter stem. Perhaps its possible that Harveys is a long yellow .Didnt he mention something about his never making brebas but another guys did and they were suppose to be the same too?? Check out Lou Montis video on this subject. I think he has the best proof so far.

There are at least a couple of such figs that look alike. Not sure if we should call them all YLN.
            Princeton, New Jersey, 6B
            flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/red-sun/albums
            http://growingfruit.org/ for all fruits

Comment

Yup. Looks like my YLN. They haven't been great for me this year so far. I tend to let them completely dry on the tree and normally they just fall off and that's when they are best! Super jammy at that point, but they do tend to get some mold sometimes if you let them go that long. But to me worth loosing a few to have those that don't go bad that much better. Here is one from today that fell off the tree and was pretty good.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
              // Los Angeles (10b) //
              // Wish List - A real yard with space to grow //

Comment

I like this fig, first year producer from cuttings. Did not go thru a stall period like my other cuttings. First one was 119 grams, this one is 160 grams. I haven't developed my fig palette yet but I believe this one tastes like a very sweet ripe honeydew melon. Not much seed crunch. Very pleasant taste.

Name:	PXL_20210806_115616831 1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	437.1 KB
ID:	1027112 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210806_115840379 1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	1027113 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210806_115905087 1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	1027114 I

Comment

How is everyone finding the growth on these trees? My YLN is sooo ugly, all stem,little growth, barely any figs. To be fair, it is neglected in the front yard which maybe gets watered once a week versus the 2-3x I cover the back a week. The location and shape of tree have me considering moving it. Part of me is tempted not to put it back in though!

There was a LOT of hype over this variety a while back in connection with the suspicion it was synonymous with Golden Rainbow (or whatever the current name now is). But do those who grow this in California find it worthy of your collection? I used to really want this one, but I have 35 individual fig trees growing now...
                  9a. WL: Black Manzanita.

Comment

• davej
                    davej commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I up-potted my 2nd leaf tree from 3-gal to 5-gal this spring and it is showing a healthy amount of growth, but it dropped its figs this year.

• FigHopeful
                    FigHopeful commented
                    Editing a comment
                    davej thanks for sharing.

I think the Riverside/Rainbow costs even more. What happens to the Brooklyn White? Similar? It seems AD's Italian Yellow Westfield is about the same fig as YLN or Brooklyn White. I have it in ground with figlets not sure would ripen. IYW is a fast and strong grower. I believe they are all very similar yellow sugar figs.
                  Princeton, New Jersey, 6B
                  flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/red-sun/albums
                  http://growingfruit.org/ for all fruits

Comment

Thank you everyone. I appreciate all the info very much.
                    7b.. Wish list figs.. #1.Verdalino, #2.Figoin.....

Comment

I must add my YLN
                      noticed the month's it ripened ! It does change color to gold as it gets cooler.

Name:	20200928_192236.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	375.8 KB
ID:	1027538 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200928_191929.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	579.5 KB
ID:	1027539 Click image for larger version

Name:	20191006_182400.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	1027540
                      Looking for De La Gloria.Your best teacher is your last mistake !

Comment

Working...
                      X