X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Quick Hoop House

I just put together this inexpensive hoop house. Made it out of 1/2" PVC pipe (10' lengths are $2 at Home Depot), a 10' x 25' roll of clear plastic and 1/2" rebar that I cut into 15" lengths. The rebar was hammered half way into the ground and the PVC ships nicely over it. Plan on up-potting some one gallon plants that are in the garage today and putting them in there. Hopefully will give them a jump start from this long cold winter.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Bill - Long Island, NY 7a
    Wish List: Glacia Negra and any fig from Bari.

Bill,

I did basically the same thing. Built a greenhouse in the back of the property but needed one over my in ground Lychee and Mango trees. The problem is the county government is giving me fits over permitting. As winter approached I had to do something so decided to put up a temporary hoophouse and it saved the trees, no damage at all. Basically the same thing you did except used 2 10' sections of 3/4" pvc.

Thanks to Hershell I knew that where the coupler is is the weak point and during wind that joint can fail so I put in 3 4x4 posts, one at each end and one in the middle. On top of the 4x4's I ran a section of fence top rail and duct taped that pipe to the PVC and it keeps the bows from flexing so much that the couplers would fail. Even during wind events to 45 MPH the hoophouse had no issues.

Hope to have the greenhouse started in the coming days though still don't have approval but going to start it anyway

Click image for larger version

Name:	hoops.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	10272
    Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

Mine is just a miniature version of yours, just under 4' tall. I slide to the plastic up to get access to the plants. This is my first year trying it out. It should lengthen my season a little. You got to love PVC.

Comment

• WillsC
        WillsC commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep PVC has so many uses.

I've heard that black water pipe works even better than PVC.
      Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
      Wishlist- Figues Juane, Demos unk, Nantes Maroc, Thermalito

Comment

great idea
        Shailesh, Pennsylvania, ZONE 6B

Comment

lifigs and WillsC, how far apart are you setting your rebar? If it was a perfect half circle 10' of PVC would mean the rebar would be 6 feet, 4.4" apart but is it a perfect half circle? Do you point the rebar in a bit or is it straight up? I guess since Lifigs' is only 4' tall it can't be a half circle. How do both of you secure the plastic?

Wills, how far do you drive the 4x4 into the ground? Why is it off center?
          Last edited by Harborseal; 03-16-2015, 02:11 PM.
          Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Bob,

It is off center because I put it up in a hurry and did it in the wrong order......I put the 4x4 posts in first then eyeballed the location on the rebar. Because it was just temporary it did not matter and in fact it is all gone now. If I had wanted it perfect I would have done bows first then dropped a line from the coupler to get the post locations.

In my case each bow is 20' long 2 10' sections. The bows were like 5' apart.

Did point the rebar straight up, if you angle it it is easier for the wind to lift it off the rebar.

The 4X4's were only in the ground about 18" and in a heavy wind they would actually sway side to side and wallowed the holes out a bit. You can see at the couplers the PVC is not a perfect arc? That was due to the heavy wind. I am sure without the 4x4's and the fence rail across the top it would have failed but mine is much taller......6.5 feet or so height inside. The greenhouse that will replace it will be about 12 feet tall at the peak.

I secured the sides with bags of mulch and a couple of buckets with bricks. The end toward my shop was connected to the shop with wiggle wire and track. The other end was just secured with the bags of mulch. I framed in a door way in to the hoophouse from my shop since the greenhouse is going there, it will be wider but door location works either way.
            Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

Wills -- can you post a close eye shot(picture) of the holding clip that is used to secure the PVC to the
              rebar. I would like to make a quick & simple temporary green house for a few plants. Thanks

Comment

LIFigs how did you cut the rebar???

Comment

Originally posted by paully22 View Post
                  Wills -- can you post a close eye shot(picture) of the holding clip that is used to secure the PVC to the
                  rebar. I would like to make a quick & simple temporary green house for a few plants. Thanks

Paully,

There is no clip......pound the rebar (36" pieces 24" in and 12" sticking out) in to the ground and slide the pvc pipe over the rebar, done. You just have to make sure the sides are secure so the wind does not get under it and lift it. Because the rebar is straight up and down and the pipe is bowed it is actually biting on to the rebar.

Chilly,

Not LIfigs But I used a reciprocating saw with a metal cutting blade but you could use an angle grinder also.

Comment

I cut rebar with a metal blade on a chop saw. Every time I try to pound rebar I hit rock at 6 -12". So WillsC , how far is it from rebar to rebar in 1 hoop? Thanks.
                    Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Bob,

One thing about living on a sandbar, no rocks Do you mean from bow to next bow or the width of the hoophouse?

Comment

Width of the hoop house. You already told me the hoops are 5' apart.

Comment

12 feet or so I guess? I did not measure it. The greenhouse that will replace it will be 23'x48'

Comment

Great! A few of those ought to last you 3-5 years.

Comment

The hoop houses in my climate are not ideal......on a 80+ degree day in the winter the interior can hit 110 even with both ends open. The greenhouses with the roll up sides are just a better solution. We also do get hurricanes and I would not trust the hoops in that sort of wind. BUT it did what it was supposed to and protected the mango trees and the lychee trees. The mango has mango's on it and is reblooming and the Lychee is blooming so the hoop house was a cheap, easy stop gap while I waited for the government red tape to be cut so I could build the greenhouse in the front.......approval I still have yet to receive lol. I am done waiting and i'm putting it up, they want to sue me let them as I think my legal standing is solid.

Comment

Bill,
                                Thanks for sharing your pictures and info...

I erect similar hoop houses but 12' wide with 2 - 10' lengths of Electrical PVC tubing per hoop (they have swedged ends and are UV stabilized) similar to Wills. I've built them with both the rebar and the wood bottom frames per the attached plans. I also have several movable 4' by 8' ones built with 10' hoops and 2 by 4 treated lumber. They are only used to extend the season, the larger ones are disassembled and stored for the winter, the smaller ones just have the plastic removed.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4890.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	10949

http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/programs/ext...greenhouse.pdf .
                                http://www.motherearthnews.com/~/med...57A1EC85C.ashx
                                http://www.motherearthnews.com/~/med...0F5B6C7E6.ashx

Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Thanks for the questions and comments. Sorry for not getting back sooner I was away all week on a business trip.

I cut the rebar with a Harbor freight right angle grinder and 4" metal cutting blade. The hoop house floor area is 5' x 12'. With the rebar 5' apart the 10' PVC make a hoop about 4' tall (it's not a true half circle). There are 5 hoops separated by 3'which gives me the 12' overall length of the house. The 1/2" PVC slides nicely over the 1/2" rebar sections (no clips used).

Another thing I did that you can't see from the original photo but is real handy is I sandwiched the ends of the plastic between lengths of 1x2 furring strip. It allows for the sides to be easily lifted for access or to ventilate if it gets too hot.

Woke up with a few inches on snow on it this morning and it held up fine.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                                  X