X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castel Trosino - Mario’s #48

Another excellent fig! I do not know the history of this but it was gifted to my by Mario and I have eagerly awaited this one for quite some time. Hopefully, Mario can fill us in on the origin of this awesome fig.

Complex and sweet with a nice mild berry flavor. Texture is excellent. These first ones are large!
    Attached Files
    Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

Wow! Good lookin fig right there
    Napa, CA 9B

Comment

Gorgeous! Happy I got this one! Mario has some great varieties I’m eager to try.
      ░░░SoCal░ ░ ͡ i ͡ ░ ░Zone░ ░9A░░░

W/L: La Joya, Ondata, Belvedere, Bebera Branca, Fico Giallo, Vernino, Asunta 5 Paco (DF)

Comment

Looks great Eric👍. I remember Mario posting that it came from the small town Castel Trosino. I think that's in central Italy.
        Chris - Zone 6b

Comment

Jammy!
          Tom V
          San DiegoCa

Comment

Evdurtschi sorry for the delay answering, I been having some medical issues that are finally being solved, thank God for my grandkids my fig trees look better than ever and I should be enjoying my main crop within the next couple weeks and also back to posting some pictures.
            #48 came from a small castle town Castel Trosino near Ascol Piceno central Italy, it still is part of Ascoli Piceno, it was one of many castles that helped protect the city from invaders including the Romans. The tree is about 30 to 40 feet tall and round located near the only entrance to the town . Very good producer of tasty and average size fruit, my 5 gallon pot produces 50/60 Figs fairly early , my in ground produce many doubles which I usually remove to help the remaining ripen in time.
            Wallingford,Ct. zone 6b

Comment

• Evdurtschi
              Evdurtschi commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you so much for the information. This is a great fig here and I’m very pleased to have it.
              I am glad that your trees are doing so well! Good grandkids.
              I hope you recover. If I can ever help, just let me know. :-)

Cool story 😀 is it common ? This one looks amazing!
            Mario Tx
            Mario
            Texas 9A

Comment

Newbie2figs yes it’s common it produces for me in Conn.
              Wallingford,Ct. zone 6b

Comment

• Newbie2figs
                Newbie2figs commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi Mario

I will add it to my list if cuttings are available!! I see a lot of figs with Mario on it but didn’t know who that person was .. It’s a pleasure and thank you for all this figs to pass to Eric and the forum!!

Mario Tx 🤓

You’re welcome Eric has quite a few of my nice ones and they should do good for you in Texas zone 9a

Mario
              Wallingford,Ct. zone 6b

Comment

This one looks spectacular. Mario huge fan of all your varieties! Looking forward to try Borgo Scopetto this year.
                Evan. Wish list - Any Mario variety
                SoCal - Zone 10a & CO zone 5b

Comment

SoCalFig thank you, you will love Borgo Scopeto
                  Wallingford,Ct. zone 6b

Comment

I was fortunate enough to try this variety at @Evdurthschi 's place this week. It is a top tier fig in my book. It wasn't my absolute favorite of the day, but it was right up there. Thanks Eric and Mario!
                    Mark -- living in the CA banana belt, growing bananas, figs, and most any fruit I can fit in my small, crowded yard.
                    Wish List: more free time

Comment

• Evdurtschi
                      Evdurtschi commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The one you tried wasn’t prime either. It was a couple days from being perfect. :-)

• SoCalFigs
                      SoCalFigs commented
                      Editing a comment
                      After Eric’s post above, this one made it to the top of my list. Looks amazing!

Another nice one.

I've come to the conclusion that your fig varieties are more numerous than the number of days in a year.

Meanwhile my varieties number less than the number of days of the lifespan of a house fly...
                    Inland Empire - Zone 9b

Comment

• swethakyadav
                      swethakyadav commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My next innovation is to attack a robotic arm ti a drone so that the fence or the barb wire cant stop me getting that caprified figs

• swethakyadav
                      swethakyadav commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My next innovation is to attach a robotic arm ti a drone so that the fence or the barb wire cant stop me getting that caprified figs

• Kid Fig
                      Kid Fig commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Barbed wire? I'm starting to developed a man crush...
                      Wait - did I just say that...
                      No I didn't! Where's my tequila bottle at! No salt or lime - just straight!

Looks so refreshing fig
                    https://youtube.com/channel/UC5h21iFO5_6U1a3xBGI09RA

Comment

This one looks really amazing. My tree grows really slowly. I gave all the trees fertilizer today, so hopefully it starts growing out of the FMV.
                      Z8+ Oregon, willamette valley. WL: More land, cool citrus
                      Ok fine, I made a channel but it’s not all figs: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC2vAVzLns27I5JUiwpiPMUw

Comment

Evdurtschi any idea of Castel moreal comes from the same collection?

Comment

• Evdurtschi
                          Evdurtschi commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I haven’t heard of that one and I don’t see it on Mario’s list so it’s probably different??? Not certain though
                      Working...
                      X