X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yolo Bypass 2021

This is my first year getting Yolo fruit that seems likely to be close to what a mature tree will produce. Mine is a grafted one (Adriatic JH root stock) in it's third year of leafing.

I picked my first ripe one Aug 3, it was a whopper close to 100 grams and very impressive. Flavor is kind of a strawberry-berry-honey-figgy combination and very enjoyable. I've picked only 3 figs as of this writing, and others were closer to 50 gram range but still very tasty. Mine were probably caprified.

Yolo is looking like a strong competitor for my very limited keepers list. Please post your impressions of Yolo in your location.

Click image for larger version

Name:	yolo.JPG
Views:	746
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1030019
    Conrad, SoCal zone 10
    Wish List: More Land

Looks like a beauty. Can't wait for my 1st year cutting to grow up.
    Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7b

Care for the Earth...there's no place like home

Comment

Great looking fig!
      Istvan - Southern California - Zone 10b
      Wishlist: CdD Mutante, GM 175, Bordissot Negra Rimada

Comment

You mentioned that yours were probably caprified. Do you really know if the Yolo Bypass is a common fig or not? I'm growing one here in Cincinnati, but it's too young to tell at this point.

Comment

I have heard it is just ok uncaprified. Haven't gotten one myself yet.

Comment

• cjccmc
          cjccmc commented
          Editing a comment
          Hopefully we'll start getting some reports from people growing it outside of wasp territory. It was discovered in summer of 2017, so trees are at most on their fourth year of leaf which is still young and probably short of full potential.

Wow!
        Piney Point Village, Zone 8b
        W/L- Allix, Cateto

Comment

Looks great! I'm waiting for mine to ripen this year (will be 2nd year getting figs). The tree is being a bit stingy with production so I won't have that many, and a few dropped already
          East Coast, Zone 7a
          WL: Boysenberry Blush, CdDB, BNR

Comment

I got some cuttings from fig bid a couple
            of weeks ago in the cuttings section and they are starting to take of f , very generous seller and he still has more..I am glad someone else won it in Sods paying it forward cause mine seems like they are going to stay in Texas 😃😃😃😃!!! ya baby!!!! Sorry Sod I don’t know how to the @ sod to reference you..
            Mario
            Texas 9A

Comment

How is productivity for this fig? I have one in 2nd leaf which is quite big but it only has a few figs on it compared to my other more productive varieties in the same stage which have a fig at each node. I was considering pruning it this winter.
            WL: Angelito
            Tony - San Diego, CA 10A

Comment

• cjccmc
              cjccmc commented
              Editing a comment
              This year a fig at every leaf, sometimes 2! See pic below

• straywolf94
              straywolf94 commented
              Editing a comment
              Guess I will give it another year

Originally posted by key88sf View Post
            Looks great! I'm waiting for mine to ripen this year (will be 2nd year getting figs). The tree is being a bit stingy with production so I won't have that many, and a few dropped already
            Last year during its second leaf I only got a few figs and they were more of an elongated shape. This year there are more figs bigger and round in shape.

Name:	CE4946D5-003B-4450-BFB7-70A00F0C7BD6.jpeg
Views:	597
Size:	541.7 KB
ID:	1030221
            Conrad, SoCal zone 10
            Wish List: More Land

Comment

I have a grafted Yolo Bypass in its second year. It is the most vigorous grafted variety I have, out of dozens. The fruit is impressive, intensely berry flavored and with very thick pulp. It’s caprified. It is productive, with fruit at each node. However, because it is vigorous, the intermodal spacing is large (so not compact).
              Attached Files
              Southern CA, Zone 10a

Comment

I would love to see a photo of an uncaprified main outside of CA. I'm growing this fig, but I never really trust a first-season fig tree since the fruits are usually not all they can be by then. The figs on my very young tree I rooted over the winter still have a ways to go.
                Zone 8A Southeast NC Coast
                Subscribe via YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheMillennialGardener
                Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/NCGardening

Comment

The first three years it is in fair to judge what the fruit is going to be like.
                  "orlah fruit" for the first few years.
                  Let a little water be brought, and then you may all wash your feet and rest under this tree.

Comment

TheMillennialGardener You can see an uncaprified pic in my other post where I verified it is common:
                    https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...399#post861399
                    East Coast, Zone 7a

Comment

• TheMillennialGardener
                      TheMillennialGardener commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks.

• claret
                      claret commented
                      Editing a comment
                      key88sf -- Have any pictures to share now?

• key88sf
                      key88sf commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Unfortunately not - the rain storm we had knocked off the one that was just swelling, and my last one got destroyed by a squirrel. I have to wait until next year now

Can't wait! To see that
                    My tree is still young, but grows extremely fast
                    Let a little water be brought, and then you may all wash your feet and rest under this tree.

Comment

yummy
                      8b PNW
                      I wish the wasp liked my yard

Comment

Anyone have any updates on fruiting Yolo? My tree is 5 feet tall but no fruit yet

Comment

• Sod
                          Sod commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I have one that’s loaded but it seems like it might be late.

• socalfigger
                          socalfigger commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Let us know if your fruit ripens.

My tree is first year and it is almost three feet tall with a full scaffold of fully developed branches, and enormous leaves.
                        earlier this year I chatted with treesofparidise to see if he could tell me anything about the growth habits of the yolo bypass
                        I Asked if there was any “quarks” to pruning it . No luck there. Maybe it needs to be pruned drastically or not at all?

Comment

• socalfigger
                          socalfigger commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yeah, not sure what would encourage fruiting, but at least the tree itself is aesthetically pleasing, especially those large leaves. Did treesofparadise say anything else? I wonder how productive the mother tree is

• Niagarafigs
                          Niagarafigs commented
                          Editing a comment
                          He said that he doesn’t do anything different with his yolo. But, the majority of the lateral branches broke directly in a southerly direction. As if it is receptive/sensitive to light... It could need sunlight to break through the canopy to fruit best?

i think i need to get one going. beautiful fig!
                        Pete
                        USDA Zone 7b
                        Piedmont NC

Comment

Name:	yolo.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	332.6 KB
ID:	1079415

claret @TheMillennialGardener I found one last small one hiding in the middle of the tree and it was mostly ripe. Here's a pic.. It's getting into the lower 40s at night here and only 60s during the day, so this isn't a star example, but you can get a sense of what an uncaprified YOLO looks like.
                          East Coast, Zone 7a

Comment

• goodfriendmike
                            goodfriendmike commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Nice looking fig

• socalfigger
                            socalfigger commented
                            Editing a comment
                            How many would you say you got in total this season?

• key88sf
                            key88sf commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Probably six or seven?

Nicely done..... one of the first ever.
                          on the East🤨👍🏽
                          Last edited by Niagarafigs; 10-30-2021, 12:52 PM.

Comment

No fruit this 1st yr.. But have noticed that Yolo Bypass seems to want more Calcium to grow properly than some varieties here. They grew fine But when I gave one tree soft-cal pellets as a test, Bam, it bushed out with more lower and middle limbs and new growth was so happy thick and vigorous. I think I need to give more calcium to all my trees.
                            7b.. Wish list figs.. #1.Verdalino, #2.Figoin.....

Comment

• Niagarafigs
                              Niagarafigs commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Do you use oyster shell, or Cal-Mag Plus?

Niagarafigs Ive not used either yet. I planned to possibly add oyster shells next spring. But am reading up on all my options
                            7b.. Wish list figs.. #1.Verdalino, #2.Figoin.....

Comment

Yolo bypass developing figs, but I doubt these will ripen in time. I am in zone 10a, southern California.
                              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Wow all those Yolo Bypass figs look great!

Because I live in the region I'm curious if anybody here knows where the original tree is located in the Yolo Bypass? Or did someone find it and dig it up instead of take cuttings?
                                Placer County CA Zone 9b

Comment

• socalfigger
                                  socalfigger commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  No idea, but most people have obtained their cuttings (me included) from someone named Hussain, who discovered it and lives up there. I think he sells cuttings under the username, "treesofparadise."
                              Working...
                              X