X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuttings not rooting since March

I have a large percentage of cuttings (about 10 to 20) that are not rooting for whatever reason. I've tried leaving them outdoors, bringing them indoors, nothing is working. I had a high success rate this past winter rooting indoors. This spring batch was aweful. My rate is like 50% now. The cuttings aren't dying either bc I don't overwater.
    The only difference between this batch and the winter batch is the potting media I used. In winter, I rooted in some type of rich clay garden soil. This spring I switched to perlite and peat moss. But then again, a lot of cuttings rooted in this new mix too, so there's no rhyme or reason to this.

I guess now is the time to start practicing grafting?
    Last edited by ieatfigs; 08-11-2021, 02:52 PM.
    GA, 7b

i would just dump those. if it's not rooting after 5 months, i would pour my energy into ones that rooted. but cuttings were readily available when i used to root them.
    Pete
    USDA Zone 7b
    Piedmont NC

Comment

• ieatfigs
      ieatfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea I guess so. I know the cuttings were top quality. Something is up. I guess it doesn't matter, if I just try more cuttings it'll eventually work.

I have had them root in a week. But I also had some take months. Scratch them and see if they are still green. If so stick them outside and forget about them.
    Louisiana Zone 8/9. W/L Whatever fig I don't have.

Comment

I just had one from March start rooting 2 wks ago. It had been in the house and I put it outside several wks back. My early rounds did much better in coir/perlite. I got some store bought mix of coir, peat, perlite and have lost the vast majority well after rooting.

With yours I would gently shake the mix out and see if there’s any roots starting. If not, take the stick out and soak overnight then repot, or put in a bag of moist medium or paper towels a day or two then repot. Changed environmental conditions can prompt them. Or could stick directly in the ground. Being so old I would parafilm tho and I usually don’t.
      CJ in Memphis 7b/8a….tight eyes, nonsplitters...Pons figs, French figs, Mario figs & tasty Cali seedlings!

Comment

• ieatfigs
        ieatfigs commented
        Editing a comment
        2 more just randmoly rooted 2 weeks ago.

I think you're on to something with the humidity. I had read here not to use parafilm in spring/summer. But I think that was a mistake because all of my cuttings shriveled down to the soil line before rooting, unlike my parafilmed winter cuttings.

I'll be parafilming anything I root from here on out and see if that helps.

• ieatfigs
        ieatfigs commented
        Editing a comment
        I stuck 5 in a raised bed like 3 weeks ago, and 1 or them is leafing out now. I got myself a new variety if this rain doesn't rot it.

• TNJed
        TNJed commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve had mold issues with parafilm in our humidity but with old, drier cuttings I think it’s a good idea. Congrats on the in-ground and don’t worry about rain or rot in the dirt, nature takes care of that.

I read on another forum where it took 11 months before it rooted. Maybe longer. If it's not shriveled or moldy id continue if it's still got some green.

Comment

• ieatfigs
        ieatfigs commented
        Editing a comment
        2 more randomly rooted 2 weeks ago. I guess I just need to be patient and let them root when they're ready.

I recut reluctant rooters and bang them up a bit. Most get the message and wake up afterwards. I did have one this year that did absolutely nothing so I set it under a table outside and ignored it for two months and now it's making a leaf ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
      Zone 10b, Long Beach CA
      Creator of The Original Wasp In Fly Out (WIFO) Bags
      Wish list: Bebera Branca

Comment

Mike said what I was thinking...do the scratch test.
        Maybe at some point they could have dried out too much?
        They usually fail after that and will not recover
        Sorry to hear it though.
        This year my success rate wasn't very good, but I was gone a lot and couldn't check on them.
        So totally my fault.

You can make it up with the next batch! 😁
        Kevin, N. Ga 7b Cheers!

Wishing all of you a bountiful harvest!

Comment

• ieatfigs
          ieatfigs commented
          Editing a comment
          That's interesting about the drying and then dying. Well the cuttings are still alive based on the scratch test. But there was a period of 3 or 4 weeks where I first put them in the garage and didn't check on them. I've been wondering if they dried out in there too much, because the garage was hot. No longer will put cuttings in garage.

• Ktrain
          Ktrain commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you wrap your cuttings at all or just place them in the media?
          I have tried both ways....the film seems to preserve them more as they are protected.

I also put them in a tote if going to the garage and place the lid on it.
          Once a day I open it for fresh air.
          Sheesh I'm already looking forward to next cutting season. Lol

My makedonian dark cutting that rooted but die, I purchased new cuttings again from big bill in June. I fig popped them and put them in the shed where it’s nice and toasty warm and very little light. This was June 10th. Checked them this morning still no roots but it’s getting top growth. Hopefully that means it’s getting roots. Only problem is even if it roots is it to close to the end of the season for it to get enough growth to survive winter winter in the basement?
        Teresa Staunton Va Zone 6B

Comment

• Figgerlickinggood
          Figgerlickinggood commented
          Editing a comment
          Figwasp update August 25. Today I went to the shed to check on my Makedonian Dark cutting and still no roots and the top growth that started was drooping. So I brought it into the house, removed it from the cup and there still was NO ROOTS. Besides that all the bottom of the cutting the bark was rooting and sluffing off. How did your Makedonian dark do? Did it finally root for you?

• Figwasp
          Figwasp commented
          Editing a comment
          Figgerlickinggood Here is my update on this. As mentioned, my Macedonian Dark cutting had stalled in the middle of the summer. It kept putting out new leaves and then they would die off and drop. It kept doing this until there was a long stem but still would not keep its leaves. I decided to completely repot it on August 16. At that time, I saw that there was some rot at the bottom and there were no roots to speak of. So when I repotted it, I cut off all the rot at the bottom and replanted in a bigger pot. I put the entire original cutting (what was left) under the soil line, so that only the new branch and its most recent set of leaves were up top. Fast forward to today, it has now been almost 2 months. The cutting has not grown at all. But it also has not dropped any more leaves. The leaves that were growing when I repotted it are still there. Could it possibly keep them that long without any roots? I think that must mean there are roots. But the weather is now cold. There will not be any new growth and the plant is too small (just 3 small leaves on a little 2 inch stem). So I brought it inside. I guess I've decided to try to baby it and get it to grow some more inside so that I don't have to buy new cuttings. If it still hasn't grown at all by the time Bill's sale starts, I'll probably get new ones anyway though and I will probably graft them instead of root them, since I have had so much trouble with this variety.

• Figgerlickinggood
          Figgerlickinggood commented
          Editing a comment
          Figwasp it’s sure nice to hear from you. Haven’t seen any post from you for awhile. Sorry your Makedonian Dark is struggling. Probably better to just get new ones even though it’s probably become a vendetta by now, lol.

Maybe not enough water, that also increases rooting time. Have to find the sweet spot
        NC Sandhills zone 8A. Wishlist- BNR, CDDG, and split resistant figs.

Comment

The best thing to do is to give a tug on them. If they are rotten or just dead, they will pull out. If it takes even the slightest bit of effort to pull it out, that means there are roots anchoring it and it is on its way to growing. Had a Genovese Nero that I did in January or maybe December, and it just sent out a leaf from a sucker well below the ground. It is alive and I can’t believe it. I knew there is something happening because every time I gave a little tug it would not pull out signifying there was a life down under. Resilient indeed 🤡
          wnc Z7a Hominy Valley
          wish list: a world without Invasive Pests

Comment

Working...
          X