X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dehydrating Figs Suggestions

Dehydrating a batch. I have not done this before, as honestly I can eat a bunch of figs and fresh is best and besides I tend to be lazy and hungry, but I might have reached my limits. We did our 1st batch of whole fig preserves last week, so trying a picking from this morning. I went basic just quartered or halfed put skin side down at 135 degrees instructions with my dehydrator indicated 22-30 hours. For those of you that dehydrated before what worked what did not?

-certain type figs? Honey? Berry? sugar?
    lots of LSU Gold and several Mt Etna types here plus a few others in this batch.
    -ripeness? do the fully ripe turn out much better than the ones a couple days off?
    - recommends on temp and time
    -Anything else you have found successful
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    Last edited by strudeldog; 08-16-2016, 12:29 PM.
    Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Try these and see how you like them. They will dry much faster at 135 degrees but IMO they taste much better without heat. They also take much longer. If you have an excalibur Their heating algorithm causes a swing 15 degrees above and below the set temp. I don't know if other dehydrators do that also.

The better the fig tastes before being dehydrated the better it will taste after. I sometimes dehydrate figs that fell off too early as dehydration can concentrate the flavor. Dehydration is great for figs that got too wet and swelled with water. It can restore most of the flavor. Sometimes I dehydrate them all the way, sometimes I eat them before they're fully dehydrated.
    Bob C.
    Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

• Harborseal
      Harborseal commented
      Editing a comment
      If I buy store bought figs I often dehydrate some of those.

Yes I am using a Excalibur. I am really hoping it concentrates the flavor in the LSU Gold as right now they are pretty watery fresh. I have had them nice but these are relatively bland compared other cultivar I have fresh now

Comment

What do you do with the dried figs? What's your best way to use them in cooking?
      North East, OK - zone 7a/6b
      Wish List: WM #1, MBVS, LSU Hollier, Sodus Sicilian, Sweet Diane, Yellow Long Neck

Comment

I plan on eating mostly just as a dry fruit, but if you get that recipe book going I am open to suggestions Here is a good one to start I can vouch for in this thread the recipe is way down on the thread
        Goat cheese stuffed figs prosciutto wrapped and another goat cheese fig cheese cake all drizzled with local honey. Thanks to my wife for making and 2 of my

Comment

You can eat them as is, bake with them, cook with them, soak them in alcohol or anything else. You're only limited by your imagination.
          Bob C.
          Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

Working...
          X