X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild Fig Find of the Day

My main excitement is finding trees that may be a new variety. Fig Hunter 2.0 lol. Today I found some gum-ball sized figs. I wasn’t able to try the perfect one, but the after taste was like strawberry.
    Attached Files
    Anthony- Fig Finder of Los Angeles

Instagram

How fun. It’s like a treasure hunt

Were you able to take cuttings???
    Randy
    Northeastern TN. Zone 6b/7a. WL: Rigato de Salento, Thermalito, BNR

Comment

• Figology
      Figology commented
      Editing a comment
      Thought about it. The skin was slightly tough but that could be because it was sun baked. I want to get a prime specimen.

• Figology
      Figology commented
      Editing a comment
      And yes it is a treasure hunt. Glad I found this hobby. So far I’ve found about 5 wild trees within a mile from my house. The other ones are really thin and haven’t produced yet.

Nice looking little fig.
    Louisiana Zone 8/9. W/L Whatever fig I don't have.

Comment

I wish I could fig hunt where I live. What area's do you out looking for wild figs ?
      Toronto, Canada USDA Zone 5. Wish List: Azores Dark, Malta Black, Sucrette, LSU Hollier and Violet Sepor. I'm always interested in trading cuttings if your in the Southern Ontario area. Thank You!

Comment

• Figology
        Figology commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m in Los Angeles Suburbs. I recently acquired Black Madeira KK, Italian 258, Yellow Long Neck, and a bunch of other known varieties. Finding wild figs is such a thrill. I even believe there’s rare varieties hidden in plain sight around me. My area was/is home to a diverse European population that moved here in the mid century. There has to be at least a few trees around here grown from smuggled cuttings.

Traba,
      When you say "acquired", does that mean you are taking cuttings from these findings? That sounds so cool if that's the case. I haven't run across any fruiting trees hiding in plain sight in my area. I'm definitely looking, though.

7b/8a WL: Honey Plum, Negra d'Agde, Nixon Peace, Pound, TX Peach, any CdD, I-258, LSU varieties, Ronde de Bordeaux, Hunt, heirlooms and their stories other: World's Best Mulberry

Comment

• Figology
        Figology commented
        Editing a comment
        Tridrama Unfortunately, fortunately, I bought my top 2 high end trees from Figbid from YouTube personalities. Yellow long neck or long neck yellow is supposed to be from Edgar Valdivia in Simi Valley. I got it from a local nursery with VDB. Panache and others I got from Lowe’s or online.

I have cuttings someone got for me from Etsy. Supposed to be Golden Rainbow. Hopefully they root and hopefully they’re legit. Pretty sure I got scammed on eBay when I first bought cuttings a couple months ago. So naive

I've tried fig hunting here a little, but the neighbors keep running me off...
      Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7b

Care for the Earth...there's no place like home

Comment

• Figology
        Figology commented
        Editing a comment
        I use Google street maps to find trees in areas where I think they might be growing. Obsessed I know. Highways that have regular plant irrigation seems to be prime locations. I found 4 trees today using the street maps. 2 were on the side of the highway.

One of these I got from a neighbor. No idea what kind It is. The other is a from a rooted cutting I took, from a wild tree that had no fruit on it, a couple years ago. Looks like it might be a caprifig.
      Attached Files
      Anthony- Fig Finder of Los Angeles

Instagram

Comment

Great job
        its the thrill of the hunt no matter where you go your looking even if your not looking.
        We will be in So Cal this December at Christmas time would love to chat .
        So find a fig. Make a friend.
        Plant a fig. Make a friend forever - The Fig Hunter®️
        https://TheFigHunter.Shop

Comment

Working...
        X