X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's harvest

It was going to rain soon, just ran outside to pick these figs. They are RDB, DTE, Conadria, Malta Black and Peter's Honey. The ugly looking one is Conadria. It's too sweet for me.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210811_173003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	367.9 KB ID:	1030851

And some pictures of my collection.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210811_084052.jpg Views:	0 Size:	523.5 KB ID:	1030854 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210811_084025.jpg Views:	0 Size:	536.1 KB ID:	1030855 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210811_172255.jpg Views:	0 Size:	417.3 KB ID:	1030856 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210811_172229.jpg Views:	0 Size:	509.2 KB ID:	1030857

Attached Files
    Cleveland South - Zone 5B.

Those figs and trees look great. You have some really healthy looking trees that are loaded with figs. Thank you for sharing
    SW TN 7B Wish list: Boysenberry Blush, Coll de Dama Mutante, Madeira Island Black, Cravens Craving, Malibu Greek and Fico Giallo. Any fig I can grow and Happy Days

Comment

Looks great, Jake. Congratulations!
      Salvatore - my students call me SC
      Zone 6a, SW Cleveland

Comment

Your trees love you, look at all them figs!
        Last edited by Terra; 08-12-2021, 05:06 AM.
        Almaguin Highlands, Canada. Zone 4a/3b. WL: Ronde de Bordeaux, Florea, Hollier, Dauphine, Gisotta nero, Verdolino, Malta Black, Violet Sepor .Any early finishers would help, just starting out, not picky. Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication~Da Vinci

Comment

In the first photo, fruiting looks abnormally intense. As if at the beginning of the season you rooted the top of another plant with a developed root system. Is this an air layering?
          Андрей. N.-W. Кавказ, пень Абрау, 7б-8а

Comment

Congrats! Many of us would consider the ugly one the best of the bunch as far as ripeness goes, but sounds like you prefer them less sweet/ripe. Enjoy!
            “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
            – Source Unknown
            MA 5b/6a

Comment

• jake44141
              jake44141 commented
              Editing a comment
              Gina, thanks. Born and raised in Asia, often time, American food is too sweet for me. After taste of that fig feels like drinking Coke. First and second year, in the pot, that Conadria tasted like lettuce. Third year, last year, in-ground, it became very sweet. This year, it's sweeter.

• ginamcd
              ginamcd commented
              Editing a comment
              That's funny! This is the second post I read tonight that compared Conadria to lettuce. I, too am not a fan of overly sweet foods with little to no other flavor elements. I prefer rich, acidic, and/or complex flavors. That's why I have many berry and dark berry flavored figs, a few sugar figs as they have some complexity, and only one that I've seen defined as a pure honey fig.

• jake44141
              jake44141 commented
              Editing a comment
              First home grown fig I had was Conadria in 2017. I was not impressed at all. There was no taste. It made matter worse, I picked them early. I thought figs were tasteless. This year, I finally will have a chance to taste many varieties of figs and know what I actually like. When your guys talk about " rich, acidic, and/or complex flavors", I was puzzling. Now, in a few weeks, with the ripening of many variety, I hope to understand what you are talking about.

@acerpictum, the first picture above is a Peter's Honey on its second year. It was in a pot with 5 gallon of soil. In Early-June, as a reward for its productivity, it was up potted to a 9.6 gallon pot half-buried in ground.

The same tree on 7/23/2020
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200723_091554.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	537.3 KB
ID:	1031862

Due to popular demand for cuttings from forum members, it was cut to about 12 inches. The same tree on 5/5/2021

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210505_151749.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	491.0 KB
ID:	1031863

Cleveland South - Zone 5B.

Comment

Figgin awesome!!!

Comment

Thanks a lot! Such a plant performance in the second season is amazing, even if it is a real Kadota. By the way, in your photographs, several signs indicate that this is the reference, standard Kadota (Dottato). I wonder where the name Peter's Honey came from (?), It looks like an advertising sticker, "trade mark", but not the name of the variety.
                Андрей. N.-W. Кавказ, пень Абрау, 7б-8а

Comment

• Vladis
                  Vladis commented
                  Editing a comment
                  http://figs4fun.com/Thumbnail_Peters_Honey.html - As always. Amateurishness, suspicion, illiteracy.

• acerpictum
                  acerpictum commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Vladis What you want from me? If you do not understand what a variety description is, then this is your problem. Do not meddle with me with your stupid comments.
              Working...
              X