X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Latte...such a pretty fig

We picked our first main crop Raspberry Latte of 2021. It's such a pretty fig and delicious, too. It is very sweet with a light berry and something else light...maybe apricot? The flavor really lingered on the tongue a long time. I was given this tree as a rooted cutting at the 2019 Fig Frolic from Lance. This is the second year that our tree has produced fruit and it is continuing to improve. We are looking forward to more for sure! What a beauty!
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    Angel #1 at 2 Angels Mushrooms & Figs-Chattanooga, TN Zone 7-B
    You are invited to The Fig Frolic on Sat., Sept. 17th, AND Hang Time (for OurFigs only) INFO HERE

That fig is certainly pretty, but I don't think it's Raspberry Latte.

All of mine are super rounded and not elongated at all.
    Tom V
    San DiegoCa

Comment

• ZomVee
      ZomVee commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe it was an off fig. Do you have leaf pics?

I noticed this morning that my ONE and ONLY fig had swollen …and had a bite on it!!!
    Attached Files
    Piney Point Village, Zone 8b
    W/L- Allix, Cateto

Comment

• ZomVee
      ZomVee commented
      Editing a comment
      That happened to me last year.

http://www.ourfigs.com/filedata/fetch?id=807044

• Bellefleurs
      Bellefleurs commented
      Editing a comment
      I can’t believe it, Tom.
      This tree is in ground..one fig this year. I’m confident that next year will be better and I really should have protected this one fig better. It really did just swell up like that overnight.
      Took me off guard.

• ZomVee
      ZomVee commented
      Editing a comment
      Mine are starting to swell and ripen right now as well. Yeah, this fig definitely gets better with age. First year I got figs, I thought it was alright, but the next year was delicious.

I would agree with zomvee. Should be deep red inside too.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E65A8B29-30DF-45D9-B61D-13A39C4BE6A3.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	85.7 KB ID:	1031133

Click image for larger version  Name:	45B2086E-7BDF-4A4C-AB00-C7C1DCCDC31B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	112.7 KB ID:	1031131

Click image for larger version  Name:	3813F671-3836-4310-9E5B-D63A34DB2FDB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	161.8 KB ID:	1031132

Click image for larger version  Name:	2E06AD52-242A-4CE2-A338-4889CB4C9BE9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	195.0 KB ID:	1031134
    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Verdolino, Black Celeste

Comment

Last year the figs were more round, darker, and the interior was more red.
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
      You are invited to The Fig Frolic on Sat., Sept. 17th, AND Hang Time (for OurFigs only) INFO HERE

Comment

• Bellefleurs
        Bellefleurs commented
        Editing a comment
        Do the leaves on your tree look sort of like Rdb?
        Your fruit does look a lot like my LSU purple.

• jmrtsus
        jmrtsus commented
        Editing a comment
        I get Cajun vibes here, LOL!

• drbud
        drbud commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with Don. Looks just like the LSU Purple I picked this afternoon.

I will get some leaf photos in the morning. If it's not truly RL, then that would explain the light berry flavor.

Comment

Angel,

That looks like LSU Purple. I wonder if I mixed up and someone has a RL that they think is an LSU Purple.

Lance
        Talladega National Forest, Alabama, 7b, 616-814 chill hours
        figBid Listings

Comment

• 2AngelsMushrooms
          2AngelsMushrooms commented
          Editing a comment
          Well that could totally be the case. LOL. They are probably really loveing their LSU Purple! Ha

Today I picked this one fig that my tree produced this year.
        Yesterday I had discovered that something had tried to take a bite…then this morning it appeared to have split a little so I decided to just pick it.
        I tasted a corner that was untouched 😂
        Although ideally it could have ripened on the tree for another day or two, it was very sweet and definitely reminded me of raspberries.
        I think that this is going to be a great one next year.
        Attached Files
        Piney Point Village, Zone 8b
        W/L- Allix, Cateto

Comment

I agree with both

ZomVee

don_sanders

Here is a pic from this spring....
          The one you just ripened looks more like a mission type to me, that appears to be a little longer with the lighter pulp
          Attached Files
          figandolivetreegrowers.com
          Florida, Zone 9a/b
          Cosme Manyo

Comment

Ok. I've been insanely busy and just had a minute to slow down. I believe you are all right. The leaves do look like LSU. I do have an LSU Purple that I believe to be a tissue culture. It suckers heavily and has only ripened one MC. It was round and very dark purple, and the interior had no red or pink color. Whereas this fig presented quite differently. It is a two-year-old tree. It produced a couple of small figs late last year, and this year it has set several. They do present larger and the appearance is quite different than last year. I am SO glad that I posted these photos. This is not a loss to me and I am not at all upset, because it is a delicious fig; however, this is a teachable moment. If anyone reading this is new to the hobby, please take note. Mistakes do happen because we are human beings and fallible. The good news, in this case, is that I have never sold or traded any cuttings from this tree. It was very young and only just now coming into its own. In general, the best practice is to hold off on selling or trading new varieties until you have received fruit confirming that it is indeed correct. This prevents the exponential spreading of the error. Such things have happened too many times to count and can lead to a lot of confusion and disappointment. Thankfully that didn't happen in this case. Secondly, if that had happened, I would have needed to notify those people of the error. This is one reason that keeping good records is important. You just never know when you might need that information. Thirdly, now that I know this tree was mislabeled, and even though it does appear likely to be LSU Purple, going forward, this tree will now forever be an 'unknown' as I cannot be 100% for certain.

Comment

• drbud
              drbud commented
              Editing a comment
              I really like LSU Purple. When really ripe it is super tasty. I ordered some LSU Scott’s Black and grafted it on to a Celeste. Turned out to be LSU Purple. Then I got a LSU Purple with Black Madeira grafted on to it. Unfortunately, the graft was broken off in the usps transit, but the LSU Purple part was fine and grew out well so I’ve got 2 trees of it and have eaten figs from both. A good one, I think.

• 2AngelsMushrooms
              2AngelsMushrooms commented
              Editing a comment
              Well this one certainly has a better growth habit and production than my LSU Purple. It's tasty and I get to eat figs, so thats good.
          Working...
          X