X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WM#1 Breba

This has been swelling and ripening for about a week. Today in the heat it was definitely showing shriveling. What struck me immediately is how heavy it felt for its size. You could tell it was going to be dense.

The skin is relatively thick and I actually had to poke it to cut into it with a knife. Not bitter, but sweet. The pulp was very meaty and thick, but not like a jelly. The flavor was like a really good desert king, but more dense and toothsome. It may have been a little more intensely flavored than a DK, but not much. This is the first breba off the tree, so I assume the flavor will develop even more as it matures.

The tree currently doesn’t have any main crop on it, so unfortunately I won’t get to taste it this year. I’m definitely looking forward to getting more next year, but right now, the breba didn’t blow me away. I think it could have gone another day or two, but I’m glad I picked it now. If the flavor had concentrated more, I think it’d be extremely sweet. It was just right for today.
    Attached Files
    Z8+ Oregon, willamette valley. WL: More land, cool citrus
    Ok fine, I made a channel but it’s not all figs: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC2vAVzLns27I5JUiwpiPMUw

That looks delicious!
    Great write up
    Round Rock, TX 8b
    WL: Delicious figs

Comment

Looking great SOD, look at that tight eye!! My WM#1 is finally loaded with main fruit. Cant wait. !!

Comment

• Sod
        Sod commented
        Editing a comment
        I wish I was that lucky. No main for me this year. It’s one I really want to taste.

looks tasty. nice review. can i sidetrack for a question... i have been a member over a year. I'm not overly active but dang i still can't make a post? i have a question from time to time(like now)
      8b PNW
      I wish the wasp liked my yard

Comment

• Gold Figger
        Gold Figger commented
        Editing a comment
        thanks

• Gold Figger
        Gold Figger commented
        Editing a comment
        primo plant and shipping btw- thanks again

• Sod
        Sod commented
        Editing a comment
        You’re welcome! Good luck with it.

I am waiting for 45 main crop figlets to ripen.
      Attached Files
      Wish List: BNR
      Growing list: WM#1, Golden Rainbow, LSU Tiger, Hollier, Violet Sepor, White Adriatic, Astoria Green, H.Chicago.

Comment

The PNW is definitely breba territory. In my climate WM#1 has been a main crop-only variety. The breba form but always fall off long before ripening.
        Steve
        D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
        WL: Castillon

Comment

• Jeffrey88
          Jeffrey88 commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here, i think breba is very cold sensitive. When the temp fluctuates too much during spring they drop.

• cvarcher
          cvarcher commented
          Editing a comment
          not so the Olympian though!!
      Working...
      X