X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaf drop

Hello all,

I have a lot of figs ripening at the moment, but one tree in particular is dropping leaves like crazy - Unk. Prosciutto. It's never done that before. It looks like a late October tree for my zone with two dozen figs still on it - it literally only has a few leaves left. Everything else looks healthy with the requisite few nicks and dings here and there. I read some other posts within the past weeks about leaf drop, but what could be a reason other than over/underwatering? My mix is the same for all trees: pine bark shreds (primarily) but a few have some degree of peat moss + slow release fertilizer in all. That's it. Among my 30ish trees, Prosciutto is the worst, then Improved Celeste and Calderona have a few yellow leaves, but nothing major; I assumed Calderona just requires less water than it's gotten and Improved Celeste, well, I don't know. It feels like overwatering, but it's been plenty hot and I don't have an itchy trigger finger with the hose. It also sits at the very end of my driveway so it probably gathers the most sun of any of my trees (the other yellow leaf trees are in different spots). It feels like overwatering - last night we had lashings of rain - but overall, at this time of year, I watch how often I water and we haven't been beset with rain recently. Pot drainage holes are all the same for all my trees.

Could it be anything else? Could the tree "sick"? Other than the leaf issue, it did not put on the best growth this year.

Thanks.

The tree is 4 years old and has always been a robust grower and producer.
    Arne - Northern NJ - Zone 6A

I have a 4 year old Conadria a friend gave me that is dropping leaves like crazy and ripening figs right now. I'm not a fan. This one is gonna get pitched.
    Zone 6a/b, Cincinnati. Wishlist: Ouriola, Ondata & Tupac's Killer

Comment

Any photo's of the leaves? I have major leaf drop right now due to rust. Can't really treat it this time of year due to the constant raining.
      Louisiana Zone 8/9. W/L Whatever fig I don't have.

Comment

In June, my Negronne and Neveralla trees in 25-gal pots lost ALL their leaves during a 3-day record-breaking heat spell. No fig drop, though!?! Today the 2-trees are covered with healthy leaves as before. So, HEAT ( i.e.108, 112 and 116-degrees in the shade) was the problem, not water, sunlight or soil. Yesterday, today and tomorrow temps will ONLY get up 103 plus or minus). So far, so good with the leaves.
        Oregon City, OR (Zone 8b) by Portland.

Comment

• ako1974
          ako1974 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, maybe heat, although it’s the only tree truly affected. Hopefully some leaves regrow. Thank you

• Shaft
          Shaft commented
          Editing a comment
          ako1974 different cultivars will have different genetics, different tolerances, different disease problems and resistances. Just like VDB and Hardy Chicago can withstand colder temperatures, maybe Unk Prosciutto has a harder time in extremes.

• Ghawdex
          Ghawdex commented
          Editing a comment
          It surprises me to read things like this; I don’t shade any of my trees in Tucson AZ and all five of my figs even in 115f 45c June days were wildly growing

I'm having the exact same issue. We've had around 1.5x the amount of rain we're supposed to get, it's been unseasonably wet. It's normally hot and humid, but going from drought to flood so often this year has wreaked havoc on my trees. Fig rust is everywhere. I had a I-258 drop ALL its leaves and the fruit that was 80% to completion just rotted right on the tree. I'm a bit concerned about the life of some of these, the leaf drop is getting serious. Are there solutions to complete defoliation? Shade? Protect from rain? It's getting pretty extreme over in this part of the world.
        My CollectionFor TradeWish ListMy Listings
        Zone 8A •
        Greenville, NC

Comment

Originally posted by NotoriousFIG View Post
          I have a 4 year old Conadria a friend gave me that is dropping leaves like crazy and ripening figs right now. I'm not a fan. This one is gonna get pitched.
          The mere mention of Conadria repulses me, especially in a colder zone. It's repulsive...like warm iceberg lettuce. I mercilessly culled it. Good riddance.
          Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania / Zone 6b

Comment

• Shaft
            Shaft commented
            Editing a comment
            Could you tell me more? I had the opportunity to buy a Conadria recently and didn't, but I was regretting not getting it.

• BlueEagle1967
            BlueEagle1967 commented
            Editing a comment
            Shaft What's your location? Conadria was the first fig plant/variety I purchased when I was getting into figs. I purchased it from a Northeast grower/seller who claimed it was a quality fig. It'll grow and ripen fruit in colder zones like 6b but the fruit is such low quality that I grew to despise it. I let it die a slow death last winter when I didn't bring it in my garage.

I wanted to grow some figs for my elderly father and I knew I was running up against time. So I bought the Conadria on the seller's recommendation in hopes I could grow and ripen some figs before my Dad passed away. I had it for probably 5 or 6 years and while it grew and fruited the years I had it, the figs were the lowest quality figs I've ever tasted. Like warm Iceberg lettuce. I despise the variety. Simply despise it. I'd rather cull it (which I did) than give cuttings away for free.

Folks in California and warmer zones have better reviews of the variety but if anyone tries to sell a Conadria to a grower in a colder zone, punch them square in the mouth. They have no idea what they're talking about. Either that or they have very low expectations for their fig quality/taste.

• Shaft
            Shaft commented
            Editing a comment
            BlueEagle1967 I'll add what you just said to my notes on Conadria, thanks! I'm in hot and humid mid-atlantic Eastern NC.

This is quite a phenomenon for me as well. I have two trees that are dropping their leaves after they yellowed. They did not appear to have any spots or rust. I assumed it was heat. But no other trees behaved this way. Both trees have swelling buds just like spring. SC heat is just cranking up. We've had a few consecutive 90+ degree days, and I'm sure we have several more weeks to go. I'm concerned that these trees will put all their energy into growing new leaves just in time for frost.
          7b/8a WL: Honey Plum, Negra d'Agde, Nixon Peace, Pound, TX Peach, any CdD, I-258, LSU varieties, Ronde de Bordeaux, Hunt, heirlooms and their stories other: World's Best Mulberry

Comment

• Shaft
            Shaft commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm just a little bit north of you Tridrama and I have exactly the same concerns!

With us it's the recent high temps and lack of our usually rainy afternoons that has been causing some leaf drop on the in ground trees.
          Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7b

Care for the Earth...there's no place like home

Comment

Working...
          X