X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mislabeled Home Depot Fig

I bought was was labeled as a Brown Turkey fig at Home Depot, but now that the figs are ripening it does not seem that my tree is that variety. It seems to be a green fig with bright red interior (pretty good taste). Any ideas on what this might be? Kadota, maybe?

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6290.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	424.6 KB
ID:	1031826
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6287.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	560.8 KB
ID:	1031824
    Attached Files

Should be peters honey.
    Louisiana Zone 8/9. W/L Whatever fig I don't have.

Comment

This is what the inside looks like. It is very red and it tastes fruity-strawberry. I do have a Peter's Honey (from One Green World, see photo), but it is still small and the fruit is not yet ripe (so I can't yet compare).
      Attached Files

Comment

Listing your location is also helpful. If you are in the areas of California with the wasps, then a lot of the honey figs look very different when caprified. I don't have a Peter's Honey but a Kadota when caprified is not that red.
      San Francisco Zone 10B.
      WL: None

Comment

Looks similar to White Genoa. I got mine from there.
        Anthony- Fig Finder of Los Angeles

Instagram

Comment

I am indeed in SoCal. Happily, this is a good tasting fig.

Comment

Originally posted by Traba View Post
            Looks similar to White Genoa. I got mine from there.
            I believe this is the White Ischia.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Red_Sun; 08-13-2021, 09:14 PM.
            Princeton, New Jersey, 6B
            flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/red-sun/albums
            http://growingfruit.org/ for all fruits

Comment

Looking at Home Depot inventory in the LA area, the only green figs I see are Champagne, Kadota, Tiger and LSU Gold. My guess is Kadota. Peter's Honey remains pale inside, even caprified. You can see it on Gardencrochet's website. Kadotas can be pretty red when caprified.

Link to caprified Kadota: https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...prified-kadota
              Joe, Central Bucks, PA Zone 6b/7a

Comment

I repeat here my previous post on similar unknown yellow fig topic: I suspect, that instead of Brown Turkey they sell one of two most common Turkish figs, Sarilop or Sarizeybek.
                Both of these are smyrnas, but as you are located in SoCal, it doesn't rule out smyrnas.
                Estonia, Zone 5 Wish List 2023 Improved Celeste-Florea-Red Lebanese Bekaa Valley-Teramo-Long Yellow-Iranian Candy-De Tres Esplets-Malta Black-Salem Dark-Olympian-Smith-Green Michurinska + Any tasty super early fig

Comment

i think it's kadota. they have been selling those for long time.
                  Pete
                  USDA Zone 7b
                  Piedmont NC

Comment

I’m in LA and got this a couple months ago. One of your lower leafs looks like this but I don’t think it’s 100% match
                    Attached Files
                    Anthony- Fig Finder of Los Angeles

Instagram

Comment

• Red_Sun
                      Red_Sun commented
                      Editing a comment
                      This is very possible.

• Ktrain
                      Ktrain commented
                      Editing a comment
                      His picture of the inside shows a round fig, this picture shows long neck.

Not saying this rules it out...but....

Thank you all.

Comment

Whatever it is, it's beautiful and it looks happy and healthy. Hopefully, it'll end up producing yummy fruit.
                      South Jersey, zone 7a- 20 mins from Philly, 30 mins from AC

Comment

Speak of Home Depot fig, I still have recurring nightmare. No knowing anything about fig, in 2013, I bought a fig tree from Strongville Home Depot for $20. Kept that tree for many years and gave out cuttings to many friends, but it never produced a single fruit year after years. I was wondering why people bother to grow figs.

Nice looking tree with some good figs.
                        Cleveland South - Zone 5B.

Comment

Working...
                        X