X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• damaged by USPS?

Anyone been able to get insurance paid to them when their fig tree was damaged by USPS?
    Last edited by Gold Figger; 08-13-2021, 06:14 PM.
    8b PNW
    I wish the wasp liked my yard

No. I had cuttings in transit for months. USPS changed it on there site to USPS awaiting item. They delivered a plant I bought to someone in another state. Did not collect 1 cent from them on either one.
    Louisiana Zone 8/9. W/L Whatever fig I don't have.

Comment

• goodfriendmike
      goodfriendmike commented
      Editing a comment
      At Gold Figger I was told to contact the seller. Most of them time I get the due to covid please be patient and after I made the complaint I get an email How did we do resolving your problem. Can you please take this survey. lol Yeah its happen more than once.

• ZingsFigs
      ZingsFigs commented
      Editing a comment
      I lost to many figs this year with USPS. The latest five out of six shipments were 3 weeks plus. The last couple trees arrived after three months sitting in Memphis which is a hour and a half down the road. I hope the FigDoctor was able to get something back. I will only use UPS now.

• figs and tropicals
      figs and tropicals commented
      Editing a comment
      That's why I ship UPS....have not had an issue. It's only a few dollars more, and often the same price or less if it's a larger pkg. If you open a shipping account, there is discounted pricing. I ship on Monday and the pkg always arrives by friday at the latest. That would be for a pkg going all the way across country. Other closer locations obviously take less time.

I heard that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.....lol....how many USPS shipment horror stories do you need to hear / experience?? I spend too much effort raising my trees to skimp on that final step. UPS can make a mistake as well....I had them deliver a pkg to the wrong address and the receiver was aware of the issue immediately....and she notified me....I happened to have a replacement tree here and I shipped that to her. And I dealt with UPS afterwards...they gave me a refund of the price of the invoice plus the shipping. That is my worst horror story...and it had a positive ending. So I see no reason to use USPS....unless you HAVE TO ship to a PO Box.

They are loving the covid excuse. When it's not covid, it's something else. You need to talk to a real person at their customer service number. They have a certain amount of days to find your item, after that they have to pay you $50. Or more if you bought insurance. Why did you wait 40 days? The way I understand is if it doesn't arrive by estimated arrival daye, you can submit a complaint. They then have a certain number of days to respond (1 to 3 days). And after that, they have a certain number of days to find it (maybe a week?).
    GA, 7b

Comment

• goodfriendmike
      goodfriendmike commented
      Editing a comment
      ieatfigs I am guessing you never talked to a New Orleans Postal worker or post master. Your lucky to get your bills half the time. And don't blame them. They are overworked and understaffed and will let you know it real quick.

• Gold Figger
      Gold Figger commented
      Editing a comment
      i did not wait 40 days. i filed immediately... its only 40 days since the shipment right now the day they responded i took too long lol

• figs and tropicals
      Editing a comment
      USPS does not consider that a pkg taking 1 month in transit is a problem...if you sent it 3 day priority. They do not stand behind their priority delivery promise. There is no promise...it is a "estimate". If you are sending a book, and it takes a month to arrive that is inconvenient. If it's a live plant, that is a tragedy. And paying for the additional insurance is not helpful. To my expeirience, they don't pay for late packages...just lost ones...and I have not followed through to the refund phase yet...I was discouraged with their "service" early on and haven't continued using them.

I do suggest you buy from someone reputable who will replace or refund if you don't get what you paid for...there are other reasons to be cautious who you buy from...you may get the wrong variety as well. I've just read a couple posts about that. We all know what a waste of time that is. After a year or more of waiting to get your first fruit, you need to be sure that the seller will "make it right".

Yes. I shipped a tree that took 4 weeks to arrive and of course it was DOA. I had filed a lost mail claim 2 weeks into the shipment and they paid the insurance claim by 3 weeks. Then the tree showed up dead.
    Joe, Central Bucks, PA Zone 6b/7a

Comment

• figs and tropicals
      Editing a comment
      it's good to hear that they honored your claim....sad to hear about the tree. how long did it take to get your claim refunded? And how did you handle it with the buyer? I have had shippers tell me that I am the one who needs to file the claim...lol....they had washed their hands of responsibility once they dropped the pkg off at the post office, I guess. Beware.....

• JoePAFig
      JoePAFig commented
      Editing a comment
      figs and tropicals It took about a week for them to review it and arrive at the decision to pay the claim. The check arrived in the mail within another week or so. You must first open a missing mail claim. Since it was a tree and sent priority, I filed at 1 week. This is critical and sometimes they "find" and deliver the package. They could not locate mine and so paid the claim. The tree showed up dead a couple of weeks later. For the buyer, complete refund, shipping and amount paid, and I replaced the rooted cutting with an airlayer very recently, at no cost. It just takes time.

I think either the shipper or seller can file the insurance claim, but in reality, as the shipper, I am buying insurance to protect my product. Just keep all of your receipts, sale and shipping, to provide documentation of costs to the USPS when filing the claim.

• Gold Figger
      Gold Figger commented
      Editing a comment
      Figs and tropicals, curious... what kind of feedback you left for those sellers that "washed hands"?

I avoid the usps if at all possible.
    Horrible horrible horrible.

I would have purchased a couple other trees this year but the seller only used usps, I don't trust them.
    Kevin, N. Ga 7b Cheers!

Wishing all of you a bountiful harvest!

Comment

• Ktrain
      Ktrain commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep...they get the job done, I order a lot of stuff.
      No complaints!

• rajneeshdelhi
      rajneeshdelhi commented
      Editing a comment
      Djoy is spreading the joy. Mission accomplished to make USPS worse then before. "85 Million Pieces Of Mail Delayed In A Week Under DeJoy, Senate Report Finds."

• Ktrain
      Ktrain commented
      Editing a comment
      It's crazy....you know anymore the regular mail has become so bloated with advertisements and "junk" in your box every single day.
      All I can say is thank god for email and text messages...lol
      I will not ship any plant of any type through the usps.

I think it's time we ditch USPS for good. I am still surprised that a majority of sellers on figbid snd through USPS. Is there a reason for that ?
    AS we speak I have a free that a seller shipped on Monday and it's making rounds around me but not yet delivered while a tree I shipped on Monday through UPS was delivered on Wednesday morning.
    Dallas,TX - Zone 8a - Follow me @thefarmingtales on Insta.
    WL - Angelito, El Sueno Yellow, Yellow Absheron, Fico Giallo, Tia Penya, Campaniere, Moro de Caneva, Cessac, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

• Sod
      Sod commented
      Editing a comment
      I shipped out trees via usps Monday. Folks in NJ and WA had them Wednesday, others Thursday, and I think the last one was today.

My issue with usps is that if I send something to TX it may cost me $17 or it may cost $30+ depending on where. I don’t see why it costs less for me to send from OR to NJ than it does from OR to TX.

I received trees from California and Texas to Cincinnati in two days. Shipped out Monday, arrived Wednesday. Shipping has been great with USPS since at least April. All the people with problems will pop up in these threads. Ask the shippers sending out dozens of trees. If they keep sending through USPS, that should tell you something.
    Zone 6a/b, Cincinnati. Wishlist: Ouriola, Ondata & Tupac's Killer

Comment

I've shipped about 800 trees this yr mostly USPS. That's probably 600 packages. All trees have arrived alive. I don't use UPS for several reasons. Their receiving facilities are only open Mon to Friday 4pm to 6pm. I ship Saturday and Monday. Saturday is probably faster on average. UPS has a brand new facility here but it can hardly hold 3 people at once. I haven't figured out how to print out their postage ahead of time. That's likely my issue but it's not as simple as USPS.

What I have shipped UPS has had as many issues as USPS. One UPS shipment to AZ ended up in CA 14 days later. The buyer had to drive 500 miles to get it.
      Alpine, Texas 4500ft elevation Zone 7
      http://growingfruit.org/

Comment

USPS is severely understaffed and has a budget that is strangling the network, yet I still think they do a better job than either UPS or FedEX, that I believe still use covered wagons to send packages to their hubs that are 500 miles usually in the opposite direction of my home. With Covid making its comeback, (big surprise? not to anyone who's been in the medical field for more than a month), things will get slower before they get back to 'normal'.
        Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7b

Care for the Earth...there's no place like home

Comment

The only trees I’ve ever had come in damaged were via UPS. I have had cuttings sent to me that ended up in Hawaii though. 🤷‍♂️
          Z8+ Oregon, willamette valley. WL: More land, cool citrus
          Ok fine, I made a channel but it’s not all figs: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC2vAVzLns27I5JUiwpiPMUw

Comment

I’ve been compensated by the USPS. You just need documentation, photos pre ship and from the receiver upon arrival.
            Round Rock, TX 8b
            WL: Delicious figs

Comment

I really think it is what post office its passing thru. With me if it hits New Orleans its going to be late or not make it. If it bypasses N.O. it makes it on time or early.
              Louisiana Zone 8/9. W/L Whatever fig I don't have.

Comment

• ginamcd
                ginamcd commented
                Editing a comment
                Up here New Jersey seems to be the black hole. And back when I used to trade a lot vegetable seeds, any that came from or passed through the NY postal facilities would rarely germinate.
            Working...
            X