X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's The Best BT Strain ??

Is there any strain of Brown Turkeys that is worth growing...in particular B.Violetta, Valliery or Laradek.

Hello Paully,I have one that orginated from the LSU orchard called Southeastern Brown Turkey......looks very good,need more time to test it fully
    Brian
    Chackbay LA Zone 9A

Comment

I've been growing B.Violetta. It's pretty vigorous, but unfortunately it's not even in my top 50.
      Art
      Western Pa -6a

Comment

"Brown Turkey" is not a single cultivar. Rather it's a collection of cultivars that have the words "brown turkey" in their names. (e.g. California Brown Turkey, English Brown Turkey, etc.). Some of those cultivars have multiple known strains. (A subdivision within a cultivar). I like English Brown Turkey. There are multiple strains of it.
        Mike -- central NY state, zone 5a -- pauca sed matura

Comment

I used to have a BT that originated from Monrovia Nurseries which was quite good.
          Littleton, CO (zone 5b) - In Containers
          N.E. of Austin, TX (zone 8b)- In Ground.

Comment

CA BT is superb when caprified. I do not know how it tastes outside the wasp belt
            USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

If you're referring to English Brown Turkey, that's an interest of mine too. I recently had a thread on it, but it seems LaRadeks is a favorite of those who have it. I'm sure you know, but I don't think any of the main crop on any variety will ripen for you in the PNW. Brebas might survive unprotected though, not sure how cold you get but given the others that do well for you I wouldn't be surprised.
              https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
              SE PA
              Zone 6

Comment

What's The Best BT Strain ??
                The one with a Black Madiera grafted to it

Sorry couldn't resist posting my initial thought. Back to the serious discussion...
                Ed
                SW PA zone 6a

Comment

I have one called Verns Brown Turkey that is pretty good. Haven't tried to many other BT though.

Comment

Originally posted by eboone View Post

The one with a Black Madiera grafted to it

Sorry couldn't resist posting my initial thought. Back to the serious discussion...
                    Just wondering So if you graft Sweetheart Cherry on the other kind of Cherry , do you not get a Sweetheart Cherry ?
                    Looking for De La Gloria.Your best teacher is your last mistake !

Comment

Working...
                    X