X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just me .... the smell of figs

Every time I walk outside and catch that first smell of figs growing, I go to a happy place. I can wander around for hours checking how each plant is doing and seeing if it has something ripe for me. Best therapy I know of. Just can't take them on a plane or shopping with me. Maybe I could get a small growing cutting and a man bag to take it around with me. I digress. I better quit. LOL.
    Ed- Southern Utah 8b - Wish List: Anything that is very tasty, that is common and I don't have.

I find the smell of fig trees comforting.
    Piney Point Village, Zone 8b
    W/L- Allix, Cateto

Comment

i remember fig tree smell. it's ok. but i heard some rather unique descriptions about that smell. lol.
      Pete
      USDA Zone 7b
      Piedmont NC

Comment

I like it too, usually. Most times it's nice, but sometimes it's like cat pee 😂 I loaded plants into my car the night before our June SoCal fig gathering and in the morning it was super stinky.
        Zone 10b, Long Beach CA
        Creator of The Original Wasp In Fly Out (WIFO) Bags
        Wish list: Bebera Branca

Comment

Two weeks ago, I put a bunch of fig trees in my car to spend the night and my car smelled like cat pee in the morning. Before that, I put some young cuttings in a bathroom over night, same odor. Back then I had no idea what made the room stink. Now I know. lol They definitely don't take me to a happy place. I have noticed that particular varieties have a stronger scent than others.

8A GA Wishlist: Black Socorro,Ponte Tresa,Stella,White Adriatic #1, Cavaliere, Colonel Littman's Black Cross, heirloom figs that have been passed down from generation to generation

Comment

I do like that smell and also hanging out with my trees every morning...and afternoon...and evening. It is very relaxing.
            NNJ 6B
            Wishlist: Colar d'Albatera, Mary Magdalene's and the Virgin Mary's Fig, Red Lebanese BV

Comment

A couple of years ago when I first started collecting figs I purchased a healthy tree from Big Bill.
              I pulled it out of the box and noticed a strong smell (like cat urine) that seemed super weird.
              I sent a PM to Ross because I was embarrassed to post about this on the open forum.
              He responded immediately with reassurance and shared that trees can smell like that or even coconuts..and that I might even grow to like the fragrance.
              He was right 😊
              Piney Point Village, Zone 8b
              W/L- Allix, Cateto

Comment

I like it too, and I love checking my trees everyday
                ░░░SoCal░ ░ ͡ i ͡ ░ ░Zone░ ░9A░░░

W/L: La Joya, Ondata, Belvedere, Bebera Branca, Fico Giallo, Vernino, Asunta 5 Paco (DF)

Comment

I would say gardening in general for me is a meditative activity. Working with fig trees is in its own category😉 The smell is good, unfortunately attracts critters too. 🤨
                  Istvan - Southern California - Zone 10b
                  Wishlist: CdD Mutante, GM 175, Bordissot Negra Rimada

Comment

My trees smell like dog sh$t because my Nextdoor neighbor never picks up and they have 3 dogs.
                    Dallas TX 8A

Comment

• Ktrain
                      Ktrain commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I had a neighbor like that....he would let his dogs go in my yard.
                      So I grab a small shovel and would throw it in his driveway. lol

I eventually moved...here to Ga.

I'm sure he still does it to his new neighbors.

Originally posted by Bellefleurs View Post
                    I sent a PM to Ross because I was embarrassed to post about this on the open forum.
                    He responded immediately with reassurance and shared that trees can smell like that or even coconuts
                    I get the coconut scent usually in the morning when or humidity is higher during the day. It's odd and kind of nice.
                    Zone 10b, Long Beach CA
                    Creator of The Original Wasp In Fly Out (WIFO) Bags
                    Wish list: Bebera Branca

Comment

I really enjoy roaming around the yard looking at and smelling the growing fig trees. Sometimes it will stir deep memories of youth back in Brooklyn where I remember a few fig trees growing. So, I love the smells of fig trees outdoors, they're not all the same...indoors, not so much.
                      Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7b

Care for the Earth...there's no place like home

Comment

Weird to say I do the same thing but try contain myself from spending lots of time looking at the trees constantly lol
                        Zone 5 Barrie, on

Comment

Idk why some people's plants smell like piss, mine always have a sweet vanilla like smell. Especially after a frost and the leaves are wilted!
                          NC Sandhills zone 8A. Wishlist- BNR, CDDG, and split resistant figs.

Comment

Yes . Fig keeps me too. I suppose that the reason is its exoticism and pleasant roundness of fruits, leaves and crowns.
                            There is a plant in the floras of southern countries - ashwagandha, Withania somnifera. In Sanskrit, "ashva" means horse and "gandha" means smell. In addition to the unique healing properties, the plant has a strong odor of "horse sweat" (which I am not familiar with), but is perceived very positively. Ashwagandha is one of the few plant species (also figs, nigella ...) that I will grow under any conditions. I recommend everyone to grow it in their garden to add to green tea.
                            Last edited by acerpictum; 08-15-2021, 01:47 AM.
                            Андрей. N.-W. Кавказ, пень Абрау, 7б-8а

Comment

Working...
                            X