X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best method for storing fresh picked figs?

I have always just put all my ripened figs in a Tupperware container and keeping them in the fridge, but this does not seem to be the best method, especially if some are only 80-90% ripe.
    The ones you buy at the grocery always come in a plastic container with holes in it for air - that is the opposite of my tightly sealed Tupperware.
    Also, how long should a fresh fig last if stored in the fridge?

I am curious how everyone out there stores their figs for optimal storage, TIA!

It would depend on the variety and ripeness. I put them on a folded newspaper on a plate. Same way in the fridge. I'd like to hear others ways that will be better.

Comment

Mine are nearly always fully ripe. So open tupperware in the fridge. They'll last many days and in fact just dry out some which makes them even more resistant to spoilage. If high sugar and somewhat dehydrated before picking they'll last many days on the counter. That's for common figs grown in a dry environment. Pollinated figs are too juicy to say the same about. They can spoil.
      Alpine, Texas 4500ft elevation Zone 7
      http://growingfruit.org/

Comment

I insert half of them in my stomach, the other halves go to my darling bride. I hope to use that new dehydrator when the gals get more fruitful.
        Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7b

Care for the Earth...there's no place like home

Comment

• moonlight
          moonlight commented
          Editing a comment
          I love it❗

• costa
          costa commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL... yes, that's pretty much the same in our house (for now) but only because we harvest a small amount each year (about 100-150 total). When I get more trees, and the ones I have get larger and produce more fruit, I will have to consider making jams or sun drying

• Otis
          Otis commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree, as trees get older and more productive and more show up better methods than immediate consumption will need to be put in place. My 1st year, I couldn't bring myself to discard over 150 unripe figs at the end of the season and a really nice fig jam/preserve recipe was used right from this forum.

What Steve said with a caveat,use the marinader's with the raised grid on the bottom and no cover.You're trying to dry them out and concentrate flavor.Like aging meat.No marinader,use paper bags,single layer.I prefer to use both the marinader's and these storage bags,stacked.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210814_111137.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	1033438

Alas,they are all out in the field pulling BFF duty.

In paper bags this is what they look like a week on,note the moisture.You don't want that.Oh well,into the freezer they go.

Name:	20210814_190753.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	1033439 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210814_191025.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	1033440

Paul Robert,Simi Valley,Ca. 9b

Comment

Mine end up in my stomach by the end of the night πŸ˜‚
          Zone 5 Barrie, on

Comment

• moonlight
            moonlight commented
            Editing a comment
            Mine too πŸ˜‹

I store them in egg cartons on the countertop unless they are turning too quick then they go into the refrigerator or turned into jam.

Name:	IMG_20200913_100442042.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	820.4 KB
ID:	1033451
          NNJ 6B
          Wishlist: Colar d'Albatera, Mary Magdalene's and the Virgin Mary's Fig, Red Lebanese BV

Comment

• costa
            costa commented
            Editing a comment
            Excellent tip, thanks!

• lynninnj
            lynninnj commented
            Editing a comment
            I have the plastic ones, which I will clean out well with soap and hot water, to avoid any salmonella or other germs. They look pretty!

I recycle the store bought strawberry boxes. I store them in those boxes and put them in the refrigerator. I also store some in freezer and ate them like eating popsicles. I just starting to dehydrate them this year. I store the dried figs in the deli containers.
          Kuan, North Georgia, Zone 7b, GDD Calculator: https://apps.igrowfigs.com/gdd/ | 2017/2018 ourfigs Ripening Records

Comment

I usually put them on the counter now for inspection and then they get sliced to check for the creepy critters and then popped into the freezer. That makes it easier to use them for jam, or for baked goods. I like making a spiced apple, mango and fig compote when I have enough. Goes great on a peanut butter sandwich, pancakes, or over yogurt. Could also make a pie or bar filling. I like the egg carton idea.
            Ellen
            Valley Center, Ca 9b
            Rancho Los Serranos Organic Farm

Comment

• costa
              costa commented
              Editing a comment
              All those ideas are making me hungry now! :-)

If I have any to store fresh I wash them and put them in the fridge in a bowl or plastic container with no lid. I put a layer of paper towels in the bottom and turn them regularly. If they sit on a hard surface or don't get turned they seem to leak and sour faster. Keeping them fairly dry is important. I think they'd last about a week but we eat them too fast for me to be sure.
            7B Southern NJ

Comment

I wish one day I would have to try at least one of the method.
              IMO egg carton could be dangerous (salmonella)
              Figs placed on newspapers can absorb ink from newspapers, I wouldn't try that, paper towel are inexpensive
              I would try that.
              I am not criticizing, just mentioning it πŸ™‚
              Looking for De La Gloria.Your best teacher is your last mistake !

Comment

• KDAD
                KDAD commented
                Editing a comment
                My egg cartons are saved up over time - they don't go from egg straight to fig! I would think by that time any salmonella has long since dried up and passed on.

• moonlight
                moonlight commented
                Editing a comment
                That's what I thought.

• lynninnj
                lynninnj commented
                Editing a comment
                Wash and use the plastic ones.

On a cooling rack in the fridge.
              Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Verdolino, Black Celeste

Comment

always thought fresh figs don't keep well. used to wash, dry, then put in fridge on uncovered dish or bowl. usually finished it in a day or so. if i would've known it can be kept longer, i wouldn't have stuffed myself so often.
                Pete
                USDA Zone 7b
                Piedmont NC

Comment

• claret
                  claret commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If they're like other produce, the general advice I've always come across is to wash them just before you eat them. If you wash them before you refrigerate them, they tend to spoil faster (even under refrigeration).

Great ideas and discussion, thank you everyone for sharing! I am always learning so much on here. I do love the egg carton idea, or maybe even strawberry containers, since my fridge does not have a marinader or cooling rack.

To summarize, it sounds like best bet are paper towels/egg carton for a few days, then move to fridge in a uncovered bowl for a week of so.

Comment

• lynninnj
                  lynninnj commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am thinking the egg carton might need a few holes popped into them.

If I do not eat them, I keep them uncovered in a bowl in fridge
                SW TN 7B Wish list: Boysenberry Blush, Coll de Dama Mutante, Madeira Island Black, Cravens Craving, Malibu Greek and Fico Giallo. Any fig I can grow and Happy Days

Comment

Working...
                X