X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bare root tree experiment

I reconfigured my high tunnel in March. During the process, I dug a trench to bury a 125-ft thermal tube 20" underground. Almost all trees got pulled out of the ground and bare-rooted. All feeder roots were removed. Afterward, the trees were re-planted. At that time, I wrongly believed that the soil should not be too fertile for in-ground fig trees. So, I filled up the trench with the worst clay soil. Here's the Salem Dark, St. Rita, and RDB. They don't produce as much as they should, but the production is still decent.

Try to train them into a cordon system

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210813_142306.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	498.5 KB
ID:	1033626

Salem Dark was pruned to about 12". Surprisingly, it produces the most figs, about 50.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210813_142252.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	501.2 KB
ID:	1033627 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210813_142257.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	467.6 KB
ID:	1033628

Cleveland South - Zone 5B.

Very impressive! Can't imagine the work and dedication. Your trees look so healthy and are so well shaped. How long have you been thinking about this and then putting it into action?
    Congratulations on a project so well done!
    Last edited by CeeFigs; 08-15-2021, 11:46 AM. Reason: Darn autocorrect 😄

Comment

• jake44141
      jake44141 commented
      Editing a comment
      THANK YOU!!! A few months ago, I learn it from some Asian videos. I still have a lot to learn. Every so often, I found that I made lot of mistakes in the process. What I consider the good cultural practices today may be recognized as a mistake later.

@CeeFigs, here are the pictures of the work I did
    Last edited by jake44141; 08-20-2021, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• CeeFigs
      CeeFigs commented
      Editing a comment
      That is an incredible amount of work! I admire your plans for producing figs sooner and your idea for ways to provide a realitively stable temperature. Please share pictures as your project continues.

• jake44141
      jake44141 commented
      Editing a comment
      CeeFigs, not sure this will work out well or end in tears. In have Black Madeira and Smith in ground. Will report my results to the forum from time to time.

That's an impressive setup. How does the tubing work?
    (PNW, Z8b) WL: Almost anything. I have to trade: tayberries, mints, moringa, raspberries, asparagus, grapes, sunchokes, currants, pawpaws

Comment

@ShawnaC, It is still too early to tell. In early spring, when it's sunny and 65 degree outside, the high tunnel temperature is about 105 degree. I blow the hot air through the pipe. The air come out at below 50 degree. I would think that lot of heat got deposited in the soil. This year, I am working the kinks out of the system. It was kind of chaotic. Next year, will be a much better indication whether it works. I have very little fig growing experience. So, far this year, I have figs ripen very early.

Here's the blower.
      Last edited by jake44141; 08-20-2021, 03:06 PM.

Comment

jake44141 Thanks for the info. I've thought about doing something like this, but didn't know how. I look forward to hearing updates as you go through next year.
        (PNW, Z8b) WL: Almost anything. I have to trade: tayberries, mints, moringa, raspberries, asparagus, grapes, sunchokes, currants, pawpaws

Comment

Working...
        X